PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit Advice - *UPDATE*

K & L
01-11-2008, 08:53 PM
We found our rabbit, Bunny Button, in a park near us when it was very young. He has grown and was quite healthy until a week ago. It was like over night he went from healthy to lethargic and not eating. We've had him to the vet twice now and he's diagnosed with an upper respiratory along with a slight fever. We were sent home with antibiotics which I have to administer twice a day. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this before, and any advice?

He has lost his appetite and was barely drinking. It seems some of his appetite is returning and I did notice him drinking water, but he still seems to have a fever off and on and still not very active.

We have him inside in a cage and I'm offering a lot leafy green veggies, pellets, hay, etc. I fear we're going to lose him. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TamanduaGirl
01-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Antibiotics kill the good bacteria too. You need to get probiotics and get some down him. Look for oxbow critical care it's the best for ailing herbivores. Feed dandilions if you can find safe untreated ones. They help cleans the system.

If he stops pooping you can try syringing(needless) some oil down him to help lube things up to move. It would be okay to give him some vit c till he's better too but never give it to a healthy rabbit because their livers make it for them and you can mess up their system by giving it to them regularly but for an emergency boost it's okay. A mer half gram of vit C per day is enough or just feed him some high C content foods which is even better than synthetic C. Kale has lots of vitamin C

K & L
01-12-2008, 09:26 PM
Thanks so much. He seems to be declining rapidly. :( I keep asking myself where we went wrong, but from reading I guess they can be carriers of snuffles? I can't get him to eat much at all now. We feel just terrible.

Karen
01-12-2008, 10:29 PM
How old is he? If he's eating his veggies, I wouldn't worry about him drinking much. I hope he fels better soon. Miss Hoppy HATES the syringe, but sometimes finds the antibiotics yummy, fortunately.

Marigold2
01-13-2008, 09:23 AM
Oh I am so sorry. It is so important to take him back to the vet or get that Oxbox Critical Care and force feed him. I had to do that with Benny and it saved his life. I also recieved from my vet a second med to increase his appatiate. Some grocery stores do carry dandilions at least here in Ohio. Are you taking him to a vet who specializes in rabbits? Best of luck to you.

K & L
01-13-2008, 11:32 AM
Thanks everyone! My husband has him at the emergency vet right now. It is one that specializes in rabbits, and those are hard to find around here especially on a Sunday.

He quit eating and drinking and was just laying there. He declined so rapidly it was unbelievable. I'm sitting here on pins and needles waiting to hear.

shais_mom
01-13-2008, 11:39 AM
I don't have any advice but am keeping you in my thoughts...

Freedom
01-13-2008, 11:51 AM
Prayers for Bunny Buttons from RI.

KittyCrazy
01-13-2008, 11:55 AM
I don't have any good advice but he'll be in my prayers!

jennielynn1970
01-13-2008, 12:13 PM
Oh gosh! I hope the vet can do something to save Bunny Buttons. I'll be keeping all of your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Feel better Bunny Buttons, your family loves you so much!

kimlovescats
01-13-2008, 12:16 PM
Oh no! Come on, Bunny Buttons, hang in there! Lisa, I have given bunnies Nutri-Cal in the past and it immediately perked one up that was looking like it was at death's door. It might be worth a try?

K & L
01-13-2008, 02:06 PM
Bunny Button is home!! They said he still has a chance he may not pull through and a couple of days will tell. He was dehydrated and had a horrible abscess inside his mouth. No wonder he wasn't eating!!! The vet feels it may be from a tooth but not quite sure. She sent him home with an another antibiotic to adminster just once a day.

We took our drop trap for cats and placed him outside in the sun and grass hoping this will encourage a little grass eating. He did drink water!! She wants him caged for a few days and I do believe this is depressing him. Another reason we felt outside might help.

I've got a picture of his poor abscess (will post later). They had to lance it from the outside and shave a portion of his face. $200 later lets hope this little guy pulls through!

Come on Bunny Button....you can do it. You made it this far!!!!!

Grace
01-13-2008, 02:15 PM
Many prayers for Bunny Button.

Barbara
01-13-2008, 03:48 PM
I am so sorry. After Sasvermont's Denver passed away I learnt that these respiratory things are really dangerous for bunnies. I hope Button will pull through.

moosmom
01-13-2008, 05:22 PM
Come on Bunny Button, you're a strong little girl and you've come so far.

(((((((((HUGS))))))))))))

Donna

krazyaboutkatz
01-13-2008, 05:42 PM
Lisa, I'm so sorry to hear this.:( Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way. Please continue to keep us updated about him. Take care.(((HUGS)))

Karen
01-13-2008, 06:14 PM
Poor Button Bunny Boy! An abcess is nothing to mess with, and as you said, no wonder he wasn't eating! Miss Hoppy suggest a nice juicy raisin or two might perk him up. (She gets three a day, as bunnies are not good at digesting sugar, so they say 1 ounce of fruit/raisin allowed per pound of rabbit per day!)

Felicia's Mom
01-13-2008, 06:58 PM
Will keep Bunny Button in my thoughts and prayers.

jenluckenbach
01-13-2008, 07:02 PM
I too will be praying for sweet bunny Button. Hope he feels better SOON!!!

K & L
01-13-2008, 08:25 PM
He's not eating. We started force feeding this evening. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. I bought a jar of baby food, squash and I crushed his pellets and mixed with warm water. I read to feed KMR also? Gosh I never dreamed having a rabbit would be this difficult. I feel like I've done something wrong here and really feel terrible about it. He was so healthy and living it up with the cats, and now this. The first time we went to the vet I asked if the cats could give him anything and he seriously doubted it. This last vet specialized in exotic animals and Kevin said she seemed really good!

kimlovescats
01-13-2008, 09:20 PM
Poor baby! I hope the lancing will help it be less painful and clear up more quickly! Come on Bunny Button, please eat!!

Did you try the Nutri-Cal?

Kim

orangemm
01-14-2008, 04:52 AM
Lots of prayers for bunny Button. Poor little guy; that's a lot to deal with. Come on, sweetie, you can do it!!!

One of my dear friends had a bunny for over 10 years. Her daughter won it at an Easter egg hunt (her mother was not as happy as the daughter!), but they took him home and lived a happy life.

RedHedd
01-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Oh no! Prayers going out that Bunny Button starts getting better soon.

Marigold2
01-14-2008, 06:11 PM
How is the little guy today?

jenluckenbach
01-14-2008, 07:02 PM
Please check pet memorial for some tragic news. :(

I am SOOOOOOO sorry for your loss. RIP Buttons.

Karen
01-14-2008, 08:07 PM
See here:
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=138147

I will now close this thread.