PDA

View Full Version : Marian Jones, the track star

sasvermont
01-11-2008, 05:46 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but I think the sentence the judge just gave her (six months in jail) was a bit much. Let's see what some of these baseball stars get, when and if they sit their butts in front of a judge.

I would rather her spend community service time for years, than to sit in jail for six months. And then there was the Martha Stewart jail time....another really stupid decision.

And then there are thousands of child molesters, drunk drivers etc. not in jail.....

Things are really a mess these days.....justice, I think not.

lizbud
01-11-2008, 06:18 PM
I agree with you. I was very surprised she got time in jail. I believe it
was punishment for lying rather than her actual cheating with steriods.

Lady's Human
01-11-2008, 06:35 PM
She was sentenced for lying, and the lying interfered with two federal investigations.

She has been sentenced to do community service as well, 400 hours/year for the two years after her release from prison.

sasvermont
01-12-2008, 05:37 AM
Ummmmm....Did Bill Clinton get jail time? I rest my case.

Pam
01-12-2008, 06:55 AM
Agree totally Sallyanne.

cassiesmom
01-12-2008, 06:09 PM
I wasn't aware that she received jail time. I read in the newspaper that the other athletes who ran on teams with her might have to give up their medals as well.

shepsrbest
01-12-2008, 07:21 PM
She most likely got what she deserved and all should also. Commit a crime and do the time!!

RICHARD
01-15-2008, 03:33 AM
There are some things that need to be remembered about cheating/doping and steroid use.

Sports "cheating" has about a 40 year history.

The East German Olympic teams were long suspected and eventually caught using hormones.

Another Olympic controversy involved a long distance runner who was using 'blood packing' to win.

Blood packing is taking an athlete's blood out and replacing the same blood just before the event they participate in. It helps in the oxygenation of the blood-enabling a person get a little boost from that procedure. In the '07 Tour de France one cyclist was caught doing it.

Steroids-Are usually synthetic and are pretty easy to find in a blood sample.
Ways of getting around a test are 'cycling' or 'masking'.
Cycling involves a schedule of injecting-you go for X amount of time then stop using before you compete to let the level go down.
Masking involves using another substance to cover up the 'roids if you use them continually.

Doping is Doping....that involves chemicals/drugs or natural substances to boost your game.

There is a long list of over the counter drugs that will get you a positive test for banned substances. A few years back a U.S. swimmer used an inhaler for asthma and in the tests that followed they came across an ingredient that was banned - I think he was also made to give some medals back- I may be wrong.

HGH-Human Growth Hormones are just what they say they are. I am not sure of all the hormones used but the most common is Testosterone, that can be checked for by checking the level of it in an athlete's blood.

-------------------

There is a saying that goes like this-

It ain't illegal unless you get caught.

For years all of the sports federations have been trying to catch up with the science of cheating.

Someone would figure out a drug, hormone or steroid that would make someone super strong-like a weight lifter.

While it wasn't on the 'banned substance' list of that sport, it was legal to use-until it was banned.

Steroids do have a place in medicine.
They are a regulated substance and can only be prescribed by someone licensed to do so.

BUT, some people found out what those 'roids can do for a person who competes and it's been a game to try and find out who, what and when they are used.

------------------------

One of the problems today is looking back at athletes who used some kind of pick me up to stay competitive-they used until it was deemed illegal in their sport.

So the major question is this.....

Was an athlete using a substance before or after it was banned?
If it was banned, how did they get away with it and what were their contributions or records while they were using?

One little indicator is performance.

Many athletes are playing well into their forties. Some have a monumental decline in their stats as the apporoach the 'retirement age' only to have them peak again?

Holistic medicine? Better trainers, doctors? :confused:

It's a huge problem and the more that athlete's lie about it, the more the fans get screwed.