PDA

View Full Version : AnnaBelle is just not happy in her cart or around the other dogs...

kimlovescats
01-11-2008, 02:03 PM
I'm feeling like buying AnnaBelle's wheelchair cart was a wasted effort. She does NOT like to be in it all and she doesn't like being around any of the other dogs except Gretta! She grew up with Gretta and they are so bonded. She is only happy when she is back in Jerry's office alone with Gretta. I even have tried taking her outside in it with just Gretta and she just stands there and begs me to take her back inside. It's breaking my heart.

Today I tried to let her get out with most of the other dogs, except Henna and Coco who tend to be more rambunctious. She just stood still and cried for me to pick her up. I don't know what else to do but to just give up on the cart and let her go back to being alone with Gretta. :confused:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/th_SadAnnaBelle11108.jpg (http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/?action=view&current=SadAnnaBelle11108.flv)

cassiesmom
01-11-2008, 02:12 PM
Sweet AnnaBelle! Kim, I hope you figure out a routine that she (and you) will be happy with. Dottie is so cutely coming up and I love the part where both she and Bear give AnnaBelle a sniff. Hang in there, AnnaBelle!

Freedom
01-11-2008, 03:14 PM
Aw, Annabelle, sweetie, everyone is trying to do something NICE for you!

Kim, did it comes with any instructions for acclimating the dog to it?

I just have 2 thoughts. First, she needs time to adapt to it. She spent a year (?) in the room with Gretta. When I adopted Cuddles, she had been at the city pound, in the little cage, for 18 months. It took her 3 weeks to come out of a cat carrier into a bedroom, it was just so different.

Second, can you put it on her and go about your business for 5 minutes, rather than sitting looking at her? Both inside and outdoors. If you are doing casual things and moving about, does she follow you? Poke about herself, or just stand and wait? If she just waits, I wonder if you just keep doing whatever until she gets bored of the "pity me, pick me up" routine and starts doing doggie things poking about a bit But I don't know if that is what is recommended.

They do pick up on our emotions, so if you are carefree about it, maybe that will help a little bit as well?

Maybe just have her out with Gretta and take things slowly.

lvpets2002
01-11-2008, 03:17 PM
:( Oh my poor wittle AnnaBelle I am so sorry to hear you dont like your chair.. I wish I knew what to tell you both Kim.. Best of Luck & follow your hearts..

Ginger's Mom
01-11-2008, 03:30 PM
I was surprised when she seemed to take to it so fast. I know that Beamer didn't take to his that quickly. I am going to talk to Beamer's mom tonight or tomorrow anyway, so I will ask how he is making out and what if anything she suggests.

lizbud
01-11-2008, 04:16 PM
I couldn't watch the whole video. Annebelle looks so sad. :( Does
she mind scooting around on the floor with the other dogs? Maybe she
just doesn't feel well.

She doen't connect the cart to going for walks outside does she? I do
hope she starts to feel better.

kimlovescats
01-11-2008, 04:18 PM
Sandra, I tried ignoring her for a while today when I was in the kitchen. I even put some treats down on the floor to entice her to go to the them. That first night none of the other dogs were around us but Gretta and also it was me and Jerry both with her and we were all excited. I guess she sensed our excitement at the time so she was excited as well.

Right now with the weather being so cold and / or rainy it's hard to not have the dogs inside most of the time. Maybe sometime when the others can stay outside in the yard for a while, she will be more apt to follow me around the house.

I wonder if they make special shoes for the doggies to get better traction? Sometimes it seems like the carpet slows her down but the linoleum and laminate floors are too slick. I'll have to look into that.

Grace
01-11-2008, 05:27 PM
My first thought was that there have been quite a few new dogs introduced to the family over the past month. Maybe she just needs time to acclimate to each of them - one at a time? Maybe she also feels she won't get so much time with you, now that all the newbies are there?

Poor baby - I just wanted to hug her after watching the video.

sasvermont
01-11-2008, 05:55 PM
My take on it is that she thinks she is being punished. I would try to make it a more positive experience for her. How, might you ask? Sure does beat me. Maybe give her time with you and your hubby....when using the wheels...no other doggies around. You know that she is better off having the wheels and she just doesn't get it quite yet. Maybe she's out of shape? They do sell booties for dogs and I think they are treated so the dog doesn't slip......that may help. Maybe the nicer weather will be easier on her.... I wouldn't give up. I didn't find the video that pitiful......The more you give in to her, the more pathetic she will think she should be.....and get her attention by your feeling sorry for her....You don't think she is in any pain, do you?

Hey, I may be completely wrong with this problem...and its solution(s)....

Keep us posted....be positive...you have done such a great job with her....don't reverse that.....please.

Ginger's Mom
01-11-2008, 06:25 PM
I have spoken to my friend. She said she would be happy to e-mail back and forth with you if you would like to chat (I will pm you her address). She adopted Beamer in October, and he had been unable to use his back legs from birth (I think they estimate his age to be 1 1/2 years at this time) and until Jen adopted him he had just gotten around by dragging his back legs after him (birth defect possibly caused by position in the womb-lot's of speculation nothing is really known). Anyway she got Beamer a cart and is taking him to physical therapy. She also has three other dogs that Beamer had to learn to get along with and run around with all at once. I think maybe you two can share stories, two things Jen did say is; one, making sure that the wheels are on very snuggly is important, any extra give or movement will make them unsteady and unsure. And second, she has to learn to get use to it by wearing it for a period of time every day. Jen said it isn't easy, but it is worth it. :) I didn't think the video was as pitiful as I expected, but she isn't my pup. I did feel sorry for her being targeted by the other dogs.

How much of a player was she before her injury? And what was her favorite game?

kimlovescats
01-11-2008, 06:44 PM
I have spoken to my friend. She said she would be happy to e-mail back and forth with you if you would like to chat (I will pm you her address). She adopted Beamer in October, and he had been unable to use his back legs from birth (I think they estimate his age to be 1 1/2 years at this time) and until Jen adopted him he had just gotten around by dragging his back legs after him (birth defect possibly caused by position in the womb-lot's of speculation nothing is really known). Anyway she got Beamer a cart and is taking him to physical therapy. She also has three other dogs that Beamer had to learn to get along with and run around with all at once. I think maybe you two can share stories, two things Jen did say is; one, making sure that the wheels are on very snuggly is important, any extra give or movement will make them unsteady and unsure. And second, she has to learn to get use to it by wearing it for a period of time every day. Jen said it isn't easy, but it is worth it. :) I didn't think the video was as pitiful as I expected, but she isn't my pup. I did feel sorry for her being targeted by the other dogs.

How much of a player was she before her injury? And what was her favorite game?

Thank you for your help. I think your last paragraph is what really has hit the nail on the head. I think I had mentioned long ago that because AnnaBelle was always a more lazy-type of doggie, that it was one reason we were hesitant about getting her wheelchair. She never did play much, she just enjoyed stealing the cats' mice and jumping on the couch to "bathe" them! :p We also used to describe her as a bit of a "snob" when it came to other dogs. These two personality traits mixed with being disabled are what I think is the main issue with her. I just had hoped that having her freedom again would make her happy. In all honesty, she wanted me to pick her up and hold her in my lap .... which I did, wheels and all! THAT is when AnnaBelle is truly happy. Maybe I am forcing her to do something that she has no desire to really ever do. Maybe I could find another disabled dog to donate her cart to, who was always more energetic and loved to romp and play. I'll have to think on this a bit more, but I sure would love to see a doggie who genuinely enjoyed the cart!

Kim

molucass
01-11-2008, 08:09 PM
Aww! Poor girl...
I'm sorry she isn't happy in her cart... Hopefully she will get acclimated to it.

So far Bailee is doing good after her 2nd back surgery... We hope she doesn't have to use the cart, but if she does I know she will probably be depressed like AnnaBelle.. Though Bailee is very active.

Twisterdog
01-11-2008, 08:40 PM
I don't know much about dogs and carts. I would guess, though, that it simply feels completely and totally unnatural to them. I would think it would take a LOT of getting used to, especially since, unlike humans, they don't comprehend why they have to use it and the future benefits it will incur.

I would suggest making it a postitive experience for her every time she goes in it. If she like alone time with you, then let that be her reward for spending fifteen minutes in it. Use treats, attention, whatever she loves. Make her associate the cart with getting petting, or getting a bite of liver, or whatever trips her trigger.

I, also, did not find the video to be that sad. Of course, she's your dog and you know her best. But, while she seemed a bit puzzled and seemed to be saying, "Ok, enough already, are we done?", she didn't seem terribly stressed or upset to me. My dogs give me that same look whenever I brush them, take their picture, make them sit and stay.

That little cavalier is precious, giving her kisses over and over. But, perhaps she feels a bit threatened by the other dogs? Unable to get away?

kimlovescats
01-12-2008, 11:14 AM
Thank you all for your input. You've given me different things to try. I am in no way giving up on AnnaBelle, just wondering whether her cart was a good idea or not! She's a special girl whether she's on all fours or not! She always loves to lie in my lap on the couch and cuddle! If I had no other responsiblities in life, she would gladly fill my time! ;) She's always been a baby girl and she knows that her little sad eyes and wimpers can melt me like butter. :p

Pam
01-12-2008, 12:42 PM
Oh Kim the video is precious. I, too, didn't think it was sad but rather just showed a little girl wanting so much to be in her mommy's lap. I am sure that would be Ripley's attitude if he was in AnnaBelle's situation. There have been some good ideas here and, I think, some encouragement. I would definitely not be discouraged at this point. I can imagine that it would take time to learn to walk with such a cumbersome device. AnnaBelle is a sweetheart and we are all rooting for her. Your other dogs are all so cute and little Dottie is so sweet for being so attentive to AnnaBelle. Please tell AnnaBelle that Ripley sends her lots of slurpy licks and wags. Kim, I wish I lived closer as I would love to visit with you and all of your doggies and kitties. :) What a sweet family of furkids you have. :)

kimlovescats
01-12-2008, 09:20 PM
Thanks, Pam! I'd love for you to come and visit us! If you're ever down this way, you are more than welcome! ;)

Emeraldgreen
01-12-2008, 10:26 PM
I have two dogs but neither are disabled but I do have some thoughts after viewing your video. Annabelle is a lovely girl by the way!
I think that part of it is that she is definitely picking up on your energy of concern and sympathy. I'm sure she may be somewhat uncomfortable but she is also likely picking up on your emotion and joining you in that.
I saw the video posted a few months ago of her in the chair when it was brand new and as you said earlier in this thread, you both were so excited and so was she. I think if you were to give her an insane amount of praise everytime those little wheels even moved an inch, she would catch on that in no way is she being punished but when she's in it she's being especially good and mom and dad are so pleased with her.
At the same time though, I read what you wrote about her quieter side and of her pure enjoyment of sitting in your lap and if she got extra amounts of lap time, even more than usual mixed in with daily cart activities then she might see that she isn't being pushed into a new way of life but just an added part to her already cozy life.
I think the traction booties are a great idea if part of the problem could be that it's just too hard to get momentum. Then again, she might hate the booties but might be worth a try.
I thought it was sweet that the other dogs were being attentive to her but it did seem that she was wishing she could duck out but just wasn't able to. And it may be that she is feeling vulnerable around the newer dogs the way animals instinctively do (hiding illnesses etc... to ensure other animals don't pick up on it). Hard to know how to fix that except by maybe allowing Annabelle alone time for an hour each day with you and the cart?
I hope that she will be able to get used to her cart and be able to enjoy that extra bit of freedom that the cart can give her on top of what must be a very loving and cozy life with you. All your animals look so happy, you obviously are a great mom!! :)

Canis-Lupess
01-14-2008, 12:11 PM
I agree about giving her time to adapt. Also, when she starts that pining trick, as hard as it is to not do it, responding with reassuring words just reinforces the behaviour and makes her do that on purpose...just for the attention. You're sort of praising the "Sad", behaviour and so encourage it to go on even when she isn't sad, she'll act that way to get a response because she knows it works.

Dogs are adaptable creatures but she'll not learn to adapt whilst she is being praised for sitting there and whining, she'd rather carry on doing that instead.

Sounds harsh, I know. Don't give up on the wheelchair thingy and don't take her away from the other dogs. They seem to get on ok and she isn't scared of them...just ignoring them a little. She'll start to interact more once she gets used to spending time with them again.

shepgirl
01-14-2008, 03:26 PM
I was wondering if maybe she feels trapped and helpless being tied to the cart? Maybe she feels defenseless if something should happen. I did find that she looked uneasy with the whole thing. Maybe take the above advice and go about your business as if everything is fine and dandy. And if she does take a step, lots of praise and a special treat that she gets only when attached to the cart and does well. If she knows the recall maybe try calling her for a treat. If she won't come for that, place a treat 1 foot away from her so she will have to go forward to reach it....something she loves and with lots of good smell to it.
Give her a bit of time yet and if she doesn't come around maybe speak with your vet.

kimlovescats
01-14-2008, 03:29 PM
Thank you for all the concern and heartfelt advice! Daddy and I both worked with her a bit this weekend, no major breakthroughs but we're trying. ;)