PDA

View Full Version : Sir Edmund Hillary dies.....(FUNERAL today)

carole
01-11-2008, 01:51 PM
Alot of you might not know our beloved NZ icon,but Sir Ed was well loved and known here and worldwide,he died at age 88 of a heart attack, he will be sadly missed by all generations of NZ'er's and many others.

Sir Edmund was the first to climb Mt everest in 1953, he was well known for his work with the sherpa people helping set up health clinics and schools for them, he did a lot of wonderful things for these people and in our country too, we have schools named after him, and he was the only living icon at the time to have his picture on one of our dollar bills.

He was a very down to earth,modest man,in a particular interview sometime back, he said when he died he did not want monuments built after him, but for his work to continue for the people in Nepal.

A state funeral will be held for Sir Ed.

Please spare a thought for his family and friends at this sad time, thanks.

Killearn Kitties
01-11-2008, 02:24 PM
I was very sorry to hear this this morning Carole. He had lived a long and full life, of course, but it is sad to lose such an icon.

He was a humourous and humble man who did great work and did not take himself or the world too seriously. Would that we had more of them.

Rest in peace Sir.

joycenalex
01-11-2008, 04:00 PM
he and tenzing norgay were amazing men. to achieve what they did without all the equipment of the later climbers, beyond my understandind. rest well sir edmund

Karen
01-11-2008, 04:05 PM
A gentleman from another age and time. The world is a richer place for his having lived.

Felicia's Mom
01-11-2008, 04:09 PM
RIP Sir Edmund Hilary.

RICHARD
01-11-2008, 07:41 PM
Not only did he conquer Everest, he was the first to drive a tractor across the pole and was able to stand at the pole with another 'slacker', Neil Armstrong.

I loved his first word's when he made the peak.

You have to look them up!

You have the people who break records, like goals in a game, points scored in a season, etc....

But ask anyone who made the top of Everest first?

Thanks, EH.

You rocked.

AbbyMom
01-11-2008, 08:12 PM
Sir Edmund was the first to climb Mt everest in 1953, he was well known for his work with the sherpa people helping set up health clinics and schools for them, he did a lot of wonderful things for these people and in our country too, we have schools named after him, and he was the only living icon at the time to have his picture on one of our dollar bills.

I was very impressed with his compassion for the sherpa. His assistance and contributions to their society is significant.

For those who are not familiar with the sherpa...they are the ones who help others reach Mt. Everest.

Others will remember Sir Edmund for his climb...others will remember him for the contributions to their personal lives.

RIP Sir Edmund

Lilith Cherry
01-12-2008, 07:08 AM
What a great loss for the world! We need more people with his kind of attitude and outlook on life. RIP Sir Ed!

moosmom
01-12-2008, 08:43 AM
OMG!!!! He was my alltime HERO!!! They have a step on the North col of Everest known as "the Hillary Step" after Sir Edmund!

RIP Sir Edmund! The Everest Gods are watching over you. :(

"We knocked the bastard off!"
Sir Edmund Hillary after becoming the first human to summit the top of the world, Everest (1953).

cassiesmom
01-12-2008, 06:21 PM
Carole, I hadn't heard that Sir Edmund Hillary died. When I was in middle school we used Mount Everest as a "starting point" to learn the geography of that part of the world.

sabies
01-12-2008, 07:35 PM
I hadn't known what he was like as a person until I read about him in articles on his death. He was and always will be a great role model for all people.

moosmom
01-13-2008, 05:31 PM
I just got through reading how his wife is astounded at the outpouring of sympathy she's gotten. According to her, he was tall, thin and very unassuming. Just google him. There's tons to read.

carole
01-13-2008, 06:10 PM
Yes Donna the family have been offered a state funeral and they are taking it, does not happen here very often, there has been talk about wanting it to be public holiday the day of the funeral and from there on, but i don't think our PM Helen is wearing that one,he will be lying in state for people to say their last goodbyes, and you can go this website and leave your message , www.tvnz.co.nz which all the family will be able to read.

moosmom
01-21-2008, 10:52 AM
Carole,

Thanks for the link. I've signed the guestbook. What a terrible loss this is. :(

carole
01-21-2008, 12:04 PM
Good for you Donna, yes Sir Edmund will be laid to rest today, huge state funeral here today for him, i will watch some of the proceedings on the telly,it is the first state funeral to my knowledge in some time, apparently a lot of NZer's are feeling upset because a representative of the monarchy will not be present,after all we are a member of the commonwealth, i think it would have been appropriate for someone to attend myself, he was a great man indeed.

So yes Sir Ed will leave in style ,my thoughts are with his family today.

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-21-2008, 12:27 PM
I was very impressed with his compassion for the sherpa. His assistance and contributions to their society is significant.

For those who are not familiar with the sherpa...they are the ones who help others reach Mt. Everest.
RIP Sir Edmund

This is exactly why we have always been interested in the "Sherpa's" .
Our daughter from India is partly Sherpa; this explains why she is so short (1m49).

Rest In Peace Sir Edmond Hillary!!