PDA

View Full Version : Decisions, decisions.....

slick
01-11-2008, 10:42 AM
Lately, poor Max has trouble deciding which litterbox to use. I have two...one is a huge covered one and the other one is just a regular one. Lately and almost every evening he will wander into my spare room and stand in front of both boxes. He will first look at one, then the other, then back to the first one, then back to the other one. Then he will stick his head into the covered one and just stand there. Finally he backs away and uses the uncovered one. Sometimes if he has to do "both", he'll pee in one back, then jump in the other one to poo.

Those who know me, know that I'm very anal about clean litterboxes and when I'm home I scoop and flush right away. So it's important to note that Max is actually deciding which "clean" litterbox to use. The same litter is in both boxes and of course there are no other kitties in my household to spoil the smell. Not that I need to question this but it's a new behaviour that I've never seen before. Very strange, but I just can't help but laugh every time I see it. :D

A silly thread, I know but somehow I just know that he's not alone.

Randi
01-11-2008, 11:34 AM
Slick, I know that Max is not a young lad anymore... do you think cats become a bit senile just like humans?

I sometimes think Fister behaves quite odd too, like sitting in the chair, face inwards like he's meditating - and every now and again, he will sit in a corner of the kitchen, facing the corner. Strange!! :rolleyes:

I hope Max is doing well, give him some scritches from me.

RedHedd
01-11-2008, 01:19 PM
Mitzi does the same thing. It's silly, isn't it? but they can't talk and tell us what they use for in their decision-making process :)

Freedom
01-11-2008, 03:24 PM
Oh I see lots of "use this one for this, use that one for that" he hee. I notice the decision making otherwise, the boxes are in "spare" bedrooms. The hopping from one ot the other often occurs as i am going around cleaning and scooping. :rolleyes: Then when I am finished, of course everyone HAS to christen the newly cleaned boxes.

Laura's Babies
01-11-2008, 03:27 PM
At one time I had 5 litter boxes in my house with the 4 cats. They seem to ALL like the same box except for Boo. (she does not like a covered box).

If I were you, I would try moving that box to another room just to see if he will still do that. He may think that is what they are there for and don't want to hurt your feelings... They are such funny little creatures.

Barbara
01-11-2008, 03:40 PM
Filou and Tigris also like to have a choice. Between two open and clean litterboxes that is. So since some time we have a third one ;)

catmandu
01-11-2008, 04:06 PM
I HAVE A PROBLLEM WITH THE LITTER BOXES AND THATS THE FACT THAT THE YOUNGER CATS HAVE POO WARS. THEY LEAVE THIER POO NOT COVERED UP TO SHOW WHOS BOSS , AND MIQUELITOS POO REAKS BIG TIME!!!!!
THEN THEY AVOID THAT BOX UNTIL I CLEAN IT. FOR SOME REASON THIER POOS ARE SOFT AND SMELLY, EVEN THOUGH THEY ALL SHARE THE SAME DIET!!
WE ALL SEND A BIG MMMEEEEOOOW TO MAX, AND OF COURSE SPRECKLES ANGEL WILL ALWAYS :cool: BE WITH YOU.

aki
01-11-2008, 05:19 PM
Then when I am finished, of course everyone HAS to christen the newly cleaned boxes.

why is that anyway? LOL! sig will sit right there and watch me clean his potty, and as soon as i walk away, he uses it. every single time. and previously he was sleeping on the sofa, until he heard me messing around with it all.

aki

Edwina's Secretary
01-11-2008, 05:41 PM
Eddie gets in one box (and these boxes are together...touching together...) digs...looks....jumps in the other...digs looks...jumps back in the first....so on and so on.... :rolleyes:

Maybe it is a guy thing??? :D

p.s....I forgot the turning around and around part....

cassiesmom
01-11-2008, 05:45 PM
When I am finished, of course everyone HAS to christen the newly cleaned boxes.

My cat does that! I put the pan back in its place, take the old litter out to the trash and don't you know - when I come back, I hear dig, dig, scratch, scratch. It was clean for about five minutes. Occasionally she doesn't urinate in the pan right away but just moves the litter around with her paws and then hops out.

krazyaboutkatz
01-12-2008, 01:03 AM
Pearl starts meowing very loudly when she's using the box. She has to announce to everyone that she's doing her business.LOL:) She'll also sometimes dig a bit and then hop out and decide to use a different box. I've watched Sunny and Sky do the same thing. My cats now have 8 litter boxes to choose from so I guess it can become difficult to decide which one to use.;)