PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous dogs in my neighborhood

M&M's Mommy
01-10-2008, 08:38 PM
I came home yesterday to find an official note (from the Animal Control Dept) attached to my door. It says that there have been reports of two dangerous dogs wandering in my neighborhood, and we should call animal control the minute we see them. It's a black pit-bull and a yellow labrador mix. The note said these dogs have already killed two small dogs and three cats in the last weeks, and will likely attack small children or pets again if they cross their paths... so we should keep an eye out for them, and that we should avoid walking with small dogs or small children!

I have not seen them, but now am worried. Last night I didn't take my 3Ms out on a short leasure walk like we normally do. I don't want to take any chances, but I hate living in fear :(

Please pray for us that they catch these dogs soon.

Ginger's Mom
01-10-2008, 09:01 PM
Prayers going out that you will all be safe. I have lived in an area where there was a vicious dog that was often out on his own. It is not a fun felling always having to be ready to react. I hope they will be caught soon.

Catlady711
01-10-2008, 10:56 PM
That sounds scary.

Actually you should count yourself lucky. Our animal control won't even come out when several people call in about a pair of dangerous dogs dragging 6 foot chains behind them, let alone actually put notices up on people's doors to warn them.

Twisterdog
01-10-2008, 11:04 PM
That sounds scary.

Actually you should count yourself lucky. Our animal control won't even come out when several people call in about a pair of dangerous dogs dragging 6 foot chains behind them, let alone actually put notices up on people's doors to warn them.

Definately. There were two dogs roaming around my small town that were so very clearly dangerous. First, they killed my son's cousins' chocolate lab (who was the sweetest dog) at the park right in front of the boys. AC did nothing. Next, they bit a girl on the hand. She needed many stitches. AC "warned" the owners. Finally, they attacked my son's best friend as he was riding down the street on his bike. They pulled him off his bike and did so much damage to his leg that he needed four separate surgeries. Only then did AC seize the dogs. It was absurd.

K9karen
01-10-2008, 11:21 PM
I'm a lucky girl, let me tell you! Our AC people have been on the ball, especially since my incident. The neighbor across the street, up a hill has a few dogs, 2 of which got loose all the time when they moved in (2 huge labs) Since my attack, the neighbor is on alert and the AC guys come immediately, The lady was ticketed, even after we see her chasing them in her car 3x. She finally got a fence and invisible fence. Poor dogs are outside barking all the time. They were friendly but you can't be sure, of course.

I don't blame you for being afraid. It's ashame you have to forfeit the M's walk. The AC guy told me to always carry tear gas. Yes he did. And never hesitate to use it if afraid of attack. Pity to have to do that (I don't, I use John as a shield when we walk Logan :D ) Good Luck and be very careful.

elizabethann
01-11-2008, 03:59 PM
I would be afraid too.

There is a dog down the street that hates Fenway's guts. I've never seen him off his leash but I'm always worried that one day he will escape and get Fenway. I would die!

Good luck. I hope they catch those dogs so you don't live in fear anymore.

kimlovescats
01-11-2008, 04:21 PM
That's very scary! Gosh, I hope people keep their small children indoors too! Be safe and let us know when they catch them!!!

trayi52
01-11-2008, 05:26 PM
That is very scary! Be sure and be very careful, sure don't want you to get hurt.

Please keep us updated.

Willie

Freedom
01-11-2008, 05:37 PM
How worrisome. I know many of us carry a golf club when we walk our dogs around here; for the coyotes. I've seen the coyote, never had a problem with it. My friend with the Akita had 3 surround him and his dog, he used the club to make a 'path' to get away. Dragging his Akita, of course; she thought she could take them ALL on. :rolleyes:

M&M's Mommy
01-14-2008, 01:20 PM
Good news! One of the dog was shot (He jumped the fence into a backyard of someone who called the police. The dog was shot by the police), and one was in quarantine pending court date. The owner of these two dogs are sued by people whose pets was killed by them.

What a great relieve.

Taz_Zoee
01-14-2008, 03:01 PM
That is good news, but sad at the same time.

Danegirl2208
01-14-2008, 03:28 PM
Did they go after a child or something?

kimlovescats
01-14-2008, 03:31 PM
I'm sure you and all of the neighborhood are relieved that they are no longer running at large. It's a shame that their "owner" didn't see fit to make them more tame and KEEP them HOME! :mad: :(

3muttsandaboston
01-14-2008, 03:36 PM
Killing dogs and killing children are two very different things. I feel so sorry for these poor dogs who were just doing what comes naturally to a dog get shot.

M&M's Mommy
01-14-2008, 05:22 PM
I have mixed feelings about the capture of these dogs, probably because I know for certain what will happen to them. While I am happy & relieved because they're gone, I am so sad at the same time.

The neighbor who called the police has two rabbits, two cats & a German Shepherd dog. She was crying after the dog was killed in her backyard. She was not sure if it was a happy or sad ending & so was I.

Life is really not fair. These dogs had to pay with their lives for someone else's mistake.

M&M's Mommy
01-14-2008, 05:25 PM
Killing dogs and killing children are two very different things. I feel so sorry for these poor dogs who were just doing what comes naturally to a dog get shot.

I'm not sure I understand your post correctly... According to the note from AC, these two dogs were very agressive & dangerous. They were wandering in the neighborhood and had killed at least 5 pets. They warned us if we see them, not to come in contact with them, but instead call 911. I don't think we need to wait until they attack a kid to remove them from the neighborhood.

3muttsandaboston
01-14-2008, 05:30 PM
I'm just saying just because they attack dogs doesn't mean they are dangerous. If my dog Lucy got out she would probably go around and attack other dogs she found. She might also possibly kill them if they were small. She loves my other two but really doesn't like other dogs unless she sees me pet it first. She has also killed rabbits and would probably kill a strange cat if it ran from her. Is she vicious? No she is not. My small nephiews can tug her hair sit on her and play rough with her and she is very gentle. These dogs might very well be the same way. When the police came were the dogs growling or anything?

M&M's Mommy
01-14-2008, 06:38 PM
I'm just saying just because they attack dogs doesn't mean they are dangerous. If my dog Lucy got out she would probably go around and attack other dogs she found. She might also possibly kill them if they were small. She loves my other two but really doesn't like other dogs unless she sees me pet it first. She has also killed rabbits and would probably kill a strange cat if it ran from her. Is she vicious? No she is not. My small nephiews can tug her hair sit on her and play rough with her and she is very gentle. These dogs might very well be the same way. When the police came were the dogs growling or anything?

I do not have all the details. All I got was another notice on the door saying that both dogs were in custody at this time. Then my next door neighbor told me that she knew the neighbor who called the police, and what happened to that one dog.

I am new to the neighborhood, so I didn't really know any neighbors except my two next door ones.

Honestly, how do you feel if Lucy got out and kill someone's small dogs? How do you justify it? I mean dogs that are dog-aggressive should not be around other dogs without supervision, and their owner should take precaution not to let them loose. To you she may be a nice, loving dog, but to those whose pet was killed - just because your dog got loose - she's vicious.

3muttsandaboston
01-14-2008, 06:55 PM
I define vicious as mean towards people which my dog is not. Dog aggressive is a very common trait with dogs especially pit bulls they were bred to fight with and kill other dogs and all are very very friendly towards humans. My neighbors lab mix got out and almost killed my mom's poodle but we didn't shoot the dog. My dad wanted to but I wouldn't let him. When I went over and saw the dog playing with their three year old I thought about how my dog should have been properly secured in a fence or in the house. So it was partially my and the dog owners fault.

I would feel absolutely terrible if Lucy killed someone elses dog. I wouldn't be able to justify it at all. I love all dogs and have a small dog...I'm sure many of those pet owners really believed that the dog was vicious because it killed their dogs or cats but that probably wasn't the case the dog might have been very sweet, just like my Lucy. It is sad all around...

Lori Jordan
01-14-2008, 09:47 PM
I feel for you so much.

My dogs have sufferd because of a Ikeda living in the area,He is just down right nasty!But the owners applaud his ways...I first came into contact with this animal on Halloween,He jumped at my hubbys friend and ripped his coat and pants open..sending him to hopital for stiches.

I have been around these dogs my hole life i have never seen a mean one,But in any given breed there is always that one.

The dog was loose the other day,Im so lucky Lacy put the run on to get into the house,I dont want to think what would of happend if she did not listen to me and decided to go face to face.

Keep those pups safe,and im sure they will let you know when the coast is clear,

bckrazy
01-15-2008, 02:02 AM
It's good news that the dogs are no longer "at large".

I DON'T feel it's good news that one of the dogs was shot... assuming it was not going after people.

I know loyal, gentle, large dogs... who have killed a small dog or a cat, that entered their yard. Killing small animals could be solely based on prey drive. They could be perfectly great with people. D; It's just a shame that their former owner was not responsible enough to keep them contained, and the dogs, and the pets they killed, are the ones that pay for it.

Pam
01-15-2008, 05:29 AM
I'm just saying just because they attack dogs doesn't mean they are dangerous.

I guess you and I have differing thoughts on danger. To me, any dog that puts my dogs at risk is dangerous.

I had my first experience last week of walking my dogs (on leash) and having another dog (off leash) come up to them. It was a black lab who appeared friendly and it turns out he was. I have to admit for those few seconds when I wasn't sure, I was afraid. Thankfully his human quickly realized he was gone and came running.

No one should have to refrain from walking dogs on leash due to dogs running at large, be they friendly or not. Yes, it is a shame that the dog was shot, but he could have just as easily been hit by a car. The responsibility lies with their human often as to whether they live or die.

pitc9
01-15-2008, 09:46 AM
I'm glad your neighborhood is now safe. I do feel sorry for those dogs that have(had) stupid owners and let them run loose and create such havoc.

Lori Jordan
01-15-2008, 10:02 AM
No one should have to refrain from walking dogs on leash due to dogs running at large, be they friendly or not. Yes, it is a shame that the dog was shot, but he could have just as easily been hit by a car. The responsibility lies with their human often as to whether they live or die.

I agree with you 100%,My gang has suffered tremendously!!There has been a few dogs who have ended up in our yard,Lacy and Maggy are never fenced they are very good to stay in the front,even with distractions from people walking down the road alone or with there dog.

We had a old rotti he was 15 i guess,he was hit last summer,He would make his rounds and come see Maggy and Lacy whenever he seen them out,He was a joy to have over for play dates!
And there has been a few others that have wanderd over here,But there has been alot of agressive dogs,Lacy is very petite and she has gotten the grunt of alot of dogs attacking her,I thank god none have been that serious.

It makes my blood boil when a owner that knows what there dogs are like and lets them run free putting or pets in danger.

In my area the last 2 months there has been a total of 4 dogs and 10 cats carried off by coyote's,It sure is not easy to keep our beloved ones safe anymore.

I have not seen the coyotes,but i can hear them daily.

Danegirl2208
01-15-2008, 03:07 PM
I define vicious as mean towards people which my dog is not. Dog aggressive is a very common trait with dogs especially pit bulls they were bred to fight with and kill other dogs and all are very very friendly towards humans. My neighbors lab mix got out and almost killed my mom's poodle but we didn't shoot the dog. My dad wanted to but I wouldn't let him. When I went over and saw the dog playing with their three year old I thought about how my dog should have been properly secured in a fence or in the house. So it was partially my and the dog owners fault.

I would feel absolutely terrible if Lucy killed someone elses dog. I wouldn't be able to justify it at all. I love all dogs and have a small dog...I'm sure many of those pet owners really believed that the dog was vicious because it killed their dogs or cats but that probably wasn't the case the dog might have been very sweet, just like my Lucy. It is sad all around...

My feelings exactly..

I don't think we need to wait until they attack a kid to remove them from the neighborhood.

I am sorry but you couldn't be more wrong...there is a HUGE difference between human and dog aggression..I feel awful for the families who lost their dogs, really. But I do feel bad for the dog who was shot...if the dogs were human aggressive you would have had a problem long before this..

It's really a shame that those pets lost their life, and a shame that the dog was shot because of the ignorence of his owners.

buttercup132
01-15-2008, 03:21 PM
I agree totally with 3mutts.
I think unless you have or know a DA dog then you don't fully understand.
It could have been a accident the dogs got out, accidents do happen and the dogs had to pay with their lives.
It seems totally un fair to me if it was a accident.
If it's a careless owner then I can understand more that she should be punished but not the dogs.

M&M's Mommy
01-15-2008, 03:39 PM
These two dogs prevented people in my neighborhood to live their normal lives. The note from Animal Control clearly said that they're dangerous, and we should watch our small children or pets more carefully until they're captured, and call 911 immediately should we encounter them. Their owner didn't know their whereabouts. Animal control patrolled the neighborhood for days looking for them... I've been forfeiting the 3Ms nightly walk because of this..

The neighbor who called the police said that the dog jumped the fence into her backyard trying to get to her cats.. I don't think she had any other choice but to call the police, and I also believe that killing the dog was the police last resort as they originally wanted to capture the dogs alive.

To me, human aggressive and dog aggressive are both sign of dangerous dog, as the dog has the potential to hurt other beings. It is a problem that need to be dealt with rather than shooing it away with an "Oh, it's nothing, he's a very nice dog, he's just dog-aggressive".

Pam
01-15-2008, 04:53 PM
To me, human aggressive and dog aggressive are both sign of dangerous dog, as the dog has the potential to hurt other beings.

That's it in a nutshell. If someone has a dog that is aggressive in any way at all it is THEIR responsibility to keep that dog controlled. Of course it is a shame that any dog is shot, but it is also a shame that countless dogs (nice dogs too!) die each day in shelters. Unfortunately these are facts of life, like it or not.

Glacier
01-15-2008, 05:22 PM
That's it in a nutshell. If someone has a dog that is aggressive in any way at all it is THEIR responsibility to keep that dog controlled.

I have to agree with this. I own a highly dog aggressive dog. Kayleigh firmly believes she should be the only dog on the planet. She's a big girl and she could do some serious damage to another dog if she had the opportunity. I go to great lengths every day to ensure that my other dogs are safe, my neighbors' dogs are safe, and that Kayleigh still has a happy life. No one else should have to adjust their life, their schedule, their dog walking route because of my dog. It's my responsibility to adjust my own life to meet Kayleigh's needs.

Owning any dog is a big responsibility; owing one with a temperment like this is a HUGE responsibility. If I mess up; if I let my guard down with her for a second, if Kayleigh gets away from me; if she causes any injury to another dog, it's my fault completely, but Kayleigh will be the one to pay the price. Under our animal control by-law, if she harms another dog off my property, it is assumed she had my permission to do so; she's automatically declared a dangerous dog and she's dead. No question, no recourse, no second chance. I know what she's like and it is my job to protect her from herself.

Kayleigh is good with people. She likes kids. She's gentle and playful. If she were on the loose and chasing something, I think she could hurt someone, not intentionally, but with her sheer size or by someone sticking their hand in the wrong place! A kid trying to protect their own dog might well get hurt by her. Again, it's my job to make sure that never happens.

The shelter I got her from never told me she was dog aggressive when I adopted her; they were just happy to get rid of a big, black dog! Had I known, I might not have adopted her, but I made a committment to her that day--to love her and keep her safe for the rest of her life. I didn't realize that meant safe from herself, but I'll do it happily for as long as she is here. I adore Kayleigh. She is a wonderful dog in many ways and has taught me many lessons. I never want anything bad to happen to her, but I also never want another dog like her.

These dogs clearly had an established pattern of escaping and causing havoc. If their owner cared about them, they should have taken whatever steps were needed to prevent further escapes and problems. It's sad that the dogs will pay for their owners stupidity, but legally I doubt there is any choice.

Prey drive is a whole seperate issue from aggression. Prey driven dogs are not aggressive. It's usually a breed trait. All of my dogs are prey driven to some degree, with the exception of Kayleigh, none of them are also dog aggressive or human aggressive. My yard is small critter free! An outdoor cat is my yard is dead and I've suffered that agony with one of my own cats who had escaped. I've warned my neighbor that if their cat comes into my yard, I will not take responsiblity for what happens to her. If my dogs are off my property and kill someone's cat, I will take full responsiblity for that.

Seravieve
01-15-2008, 09:28 PM
Im shocked by the idea that because a dog is 'dog aggressive' that its a bad dog and should be eithanized/shot/etc... Thats cruel.

Yea, these dogs were dangerous, they were loose, that's their OWNERS' fault. The dogs were doing what they knew.. what they had most-likely been taught... Maybe by their OWNERS.

Bunny and Zeke are both dog aggressive. Do I take them to the dog park? No. Do I let them run my neighborhood? No. Do I let them around other dogs? Besides Eli, No. I/we try to be responsible dog owners and protect what we love and others. I would NEVER say a dog that is DA should be put down. Who knows whats happened to that dog in the past. There's obviously a reason that they are the way they are. (And we're in the same boat, Adoption Center didnt tell us they were DA.) Oh and they've gotten a few birds and a mole in our backyard... Its instinct.

Being DA and roaming the neighborhood is IRRESPONSIBLE on the OWNERS' part. Should they be fined for letting something like this happen? Of course. They knowingly let it happen..

Should my two DA dogs be put down even though they live a happy life inside of our house? No.... They get the occasional walk, the trips to grandma's house.. And they're always on leash or controlled by my mom's electric fence.

There's two sides to this issue... and you're only considering one.. I think its bittersweet that the dog was shot. Had its owners been smart and kept them inside/controlled, it never would have happened. Being aggressive towards humans is a different story...

I mean dogs that are dog-aggressive should not be around other dogs without supervision, and their owner should take precaution not to let them loose.

You said it.. thats exactly it. Their owners werent around, werent responsible. Doesnt mean ALL DA dogs should be put down because of that. :eek:

M&M's Mommy
01-16-2008, 12:33 PM
Im shocked by the idea that because a dog is 'dog aggressive' that its a bad dog and should be eithanized/shot/etc... Thats cruel.

Doesnt mean ALL DA dogs should be put down because of that. :eek:

I never said that ALL dog aggressive dogs need to be euthanized. I never said I agree with what the police did. I feel for the dogs & even for their ignorant owners... - but under circumstances, I don't think they have any other choices.

These dogs have done great harm to the neighborhood. There were 6 killings linked to them. 6 families lost their beloved pet as the result of 1 irresponsible dog-owner. How totally cruel & unfair is that?. Pretty sad, too.

Danegirl2208
01-16-2008, 03:41 PM
To me, human aggressive and dog aggressive are both sign of dangerous dog, as the dog has the potential to hurt other beings. It is a problem that need to be dealt with rather than shooing it away with an "Oh, it's nothing, he's a very nice dog, he's just dog-aggressive".
So hounds are too be considered dangerous to you too? If Chloe (coonhound) got out and there was a cat I have no doubt in my mind that she would go after it..sad? sure..but should she be considerd vicious and shot? NO.. because that is what she was bred to do. DA is for the most part, a managable trait. It is not something that can just be trained out of a dog..it is a genetic trait of MANY breeds. Once again I feel awful for the familys who lost their pets, but I don't think the loose dog should have been delt with in that manner.

*LabLoverKEB*
01-16-2008, 06:04 PM
How horrible, on both sides of the story... :(