PDA

View Full Version : Not voting for someone because of...

Giselle
01-10-2008, 08:24 PM
... their NAME.

Apparently, it's not uncommon. A lot of people are less inclined to vote for Obama because of his middle name: Hussein.

Never mind the fact that Obama had no choice in the name or that it was his father's name.

It seems the term "Muslim" is now synonymous with negativity and "DANGER DANGER DANGER!"

I don't know whether to :rolleyes: or :mad:

Maybe both...

sumbirdy
01-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Well, I think people are wary of muslims since 9/11. It's probably not that people have anything against him personally but most don't really know him. Who's to say that he's not talking to people in Iraq and saying something like "Yep, I'm going to get presidency and when I win it'll be easy for you guys to come over and take over this country" But then again, who's to say none of the others have similar things going as well? This is why I don't vote. I'm a bit of a skeptic.

Lady's Human
01-10-2008, 11:21 PM
Tie that in with people voting for candidates because they're cute/handsome/pretty and other superficial reasons and you get the current mess in DC and other centers of power.

Giselle
01-10-2008, 11:26 PM
Sumbirdy, I highly doubt Barack Obama is involving himself in clandestine operations with terrorists in Iraq...

It seems the latest trend in the mud slinging is criticising Obama's religion, which, by the way, is CHRISTIANITY. But, hey, who's to say he isn't Christian enough? He surely isn't black enough. And he's not white enough. And he's just not Obama enough! :rolleyes:

*pulls out hair* Why do I try? California is going to vote Dem. no matter what so I give up.

caseysmom
01-10-2008, 11:33 PM
But I think he is the cutest ;)

Catlady711
01-10-2008, 11:39 PM
Politics aside, EVERYTHING is about names anymore. From the brand of paper towel you buy to the tv shows you watch or the music groups you listen to, it's all about names. People pay other people BIG $$$ to come up with catchy, names that people will remember or associate with a certain image. Been that way for years and I doubt it will ever change.

Don't believe me, think about this...

If you could buy identical boxes of facial tissue, made of the same stuff, same size, same packaging... which would you tend to buy...

One called Puffs (giving an image of puffy softness)

or Kleenex (giving the image of cleanliness)

or one called Snot Rag 2010??

Think about it.

kitten645
01-10-2008, 11:50 PM
"Who's to say that he's not talking to people in Iraq and saying something like "Yep, I'm going to get presidency and when I win it'll be easy for you guys to come over and take over this country"

I think this speaks volumes to what the real issue is...laziness. That someone would think that this could actually happen is laughable. The fact that our own PRESIDENT has called him BinLaden is a testiment to the general publics laziness in educating themselves on the issues and where candidates stand. I for one like Obama. I'm voting for Clinton because she appeals to me as a seasoned politician, a woman and stands for most of the things I find to be important to me. I must confess to being "non-political" but I also believe you can't complain if you don't vote. I voted for Gore and he still got shafted. If more people had taken a stance that "I can make a difference" we'd be in a whole different world now.
And btw YES i'm in Northern CA and YES I'm a democrat. Look how well the GOP has done so far? :rolleyes:

Lady's Human
01-11-2008, 12:25 AM
The fact that our own PRESIDENT has called him BinLaden is a testiment to the general publics laziness in educating themselves on the issues and where candidates stand.

I know of one instance of Senator Kennedy calling him Osama, wasn't aware of the POTUS making that mistake. Source?

Giselle
01-11-2008, 12:59 AM
But Catlady, I think that's completely demoralizing and dehumanizing. To objectify a living, breathing human being into negative stigma because of his middle name, which he inherited from his father? And to use that as a reason not to vote for him? Que???

So if my middle name were Lisa and you (general "you") were bullied by a girl named Lisa when you were little, would you hold that against me and refuse to vote for me simply because of that? Hmm, funny. In dog land, we call it "misdirected aggression" :D

phesina
01-11-2008, 02:51 PM
I gather that "Hussein" is a very common name in the Arab world. In other words, it's Arabic for "Smith."

caseysmom
01-11-2008, 03:27 PM
I gather that "Hussein" is a very common name in the Arab world. In other words, it's Arabic for "Smith."
No its a given name so it is arabic for "john"

phesina
01-11-2008, 03:39 PM
No its a given name so it is arabic for "john"
OK, gotcha, and thanks! Now I'll know that for the next time this comes up.

momoffuzzyfaces
01-11-2008, 03:59 PM
*pulls out hair* Why do I try? California is going to vote Dem. no matter what so I give up.
That's the way I feel about Kansas. Kansas always goes Rep, no matter what. Of course we only have 2 (I think) dinky electoral votes, so no one gets too excited which way we vote. :rolleyes: :D

lizbud
01-11-2008, 04:41 PM
Of course we only have 2 (I think) dinky electoral votes, so no one gets too excited which way we vote. :rolleyes: :D

Indiana is ignored too. We don't even have a primary till May. :rolleyes:

Lady's Human
01-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Indiana is ignored too. We don't even have a primary till May

That's because the candidates want to be campaigning in Indiana and stop by the Indy 500 ! :p

Catlady711
01-11-2008, 07:50 PM
But Catlady, I think that's completely demoralizing and dehumanizing. To objectify a living, breathing human being into negative stigma because of his middle name, which he inherited from his father? And to use that as a reason not to vote for him? Que???

So if my middle name were Lisa and you (general "you") were bullied by a girl named Lisa when you were little, would you hold that against me and refuse to vote for me simply because of that? Hmm, funny. In dog land, we call it "misdirected aggression" :D

Goodness sakes, take a deep breath and relax!!

I was simply trying to make a point of showing that names of people or things do tend to influence a persons decisions, whether intentionally or UNintentionally.

I wasn't meaning to dehumanize anyone I was using an inannamate object to make my point in a way that most people would recognize.

If a person's name didn't have any influence on others, then why do actors, musicians and writers frequently have their names changed?? Because of public image associated with the name and how well that name will sell and be recognized. It's a fact of life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stage_name

http://www.fiftiesweb.com/dead/real-names-1.htm

I myself would not vote for or against anyone based only on a name, however I can't say that a name couldn't infuence my thoughts about a person or their character until I got to know them better, even if I don't mean it to.

It seems unfair but it's a fact of human nature and has been for many, many years.

Proverbs 21:1 A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches.

Ecclesiastes 7:1 A good name is better than precious ointment.

Genesis 17:5 Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made thee.

Genesis 32:28 And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed. KJV

Giselle
01-11-2008, 11:42 PM
Oh it wasn't directed at you. It was more meant as a rant in regards to the quoted text I posted in my first post.

Frankly, I couldn't care less if Obama's name were Adolf Hussein Obama or John Edwards were Mohandas Karamchand Edwards or if Hillary were Agnes Gonxha Clinton. It wouldn't sway me one way or another. It's a name, and they didn't choose it. I have no right to judge them for it. That's just my overall feeling about the whole not-voting-because-of-a-name thing. It wasn't meant to target you out. I guess it was more of a rant about this thing in general.

sumbirdy
01-12-2008, 12:05 AM
Hey, I didn't post so people would jump all over me about what I said. And just because I don't update myself on political crap doesn't mean I'm lazy. It just means that I don't give a crap about politics or any of the stuff that goes with it. It's very boring to me and when the debates are on, I watch a movie. I really have no idea who's actually running for president (besides Obama and Clinton) and I really don't care. America isn't all it's cracked up to be (no, I'm not anti-American) In my parts the systems work a little backwards and people (important people) that other people think they can trust end up hurting everyone (on purpose)
I don't trust people anymore, I don't trust the presidential canditates, so I don't vote. And I don't plan on complaining about whatever president is chosen.

Sevaede
01-12-2008, 01:07 AM
Oh it wasn't directed at you. It was more meant as a rant in regards to the quoted text I posted in my first post.

Frankly, I couldn't care less if Obama's name were Adolf Hussein Obama or John Edwards were Mohandas Karamchand Edwards or if Hillary were Agnes Gonxha Clinton. It wouldn't sway me one way or another. It's a name, and they didn't choose it. I have no right to judge them for it. That's just my overall feeling about the whole not-voting-because-of-a-name thing. It wasn't meant to target you out. I guess it was more of a rant about this thing in general.

Sorry to wander off, but, that part made me lol in your general direction. :D

Edwina's Secretary
01-12-2008, 10:59 AM
Hey, I didn't post so people would jump all over me about what I said. And just because I don't update myself on political crap doesn't mean I'm lazy. It just means that I don't give a crap about politics or any of the stuff that goes with it. It's very boring to me and when the debates are on, I watch a movie. I really have no idea who's actually running for president (besides Obama and Clinton) and I really don't care. America isn't all it's cracked up to be (no, I'm not anti-American) In my parts the systems work a little backwards and people (important people) that other people think they can trust end up hurting everyone (on purpose)
I don't trust people anymore, I don't trust the presidential canditates, so I don't vote. And I don't plan on complaining about whatever president is chosen.

Please...continue not voting.

kitten645
01-12-2008, 12:17 PM

Yes. That helps greatly. :rolleyes:

momoffuzzyfaces
01-12-2008, 12:42 PM
Didn't we have a president nicknamed, "Buba" a few years back? ;) :D

Catlady711
01-12-2008, 04:58 PM
It's a name, and they didn't choose it. I have no right to judge them for it. That's just my overall feeling about the whole not-voting-because-of-a-name thing. It wasn't meant to target you out. I guess it was more of a rant about this thing in general.

That's ok. I just know sometimes things get read in a different manner in text than was intended by the poster and there are some people that do get rather easily upset online. I was just trying to smooth any ruffled feathers. NP

sumbirdy
01-14-2008, 11:28 AM

I have no problem with that