PDA

View Full Version : melissa got her car learner's licence today...

carole
01-10-2008, 04:03 PM
Well the time has come when my little girl is growing up so fast, she went for her licence today and got 100 per cent, she is now able to go on the road with a full licenced person and learn to drive.

In NZ we have a progressive licence, you get your learners first, based on theory, the road code, and can only get three wrong to pass, melissa got them all right, so that is good, at least i have comfort in knowing she knows it well,then after they feel they are good enough to drive they sit their restricted licence,which you have to have for about 18mths, cut down by six months if you do a special course,you can only drive by yourself ,no passengers except those who have licences for over two years, and not after ten at night,then you sit your full licence.

I am in two minds, happy for her, but as a mum scared too, she is only 15 and half.

The age is 15 in NZ, way too young IMO, but of course Melissa would disagree with that,still at least she won't be like her old mother, i have never had a licence.

caseysmom
01-10-2008, 04:07 PM
Well the time has come when my little girl is growing up so fast, she went for her licence today and got 100 per cent, she is now able to go on the road with a full licenced person and learn to drive.

In NZ we have a progressive licence, you get your learners first, based on theory, the road code, and can only get three wrong to pass, melissa got them all right, so that is good, at least i have comfort in knowing she knows it well,then after they feel they are good enough to drive they sit their restricted licence,which you have to have for about 18mths, cut down by six months if you do a special course,you can only drive by yourself ,no passengers except those who have licences for over two years, and not after ten at night,then you sit your full licence.

I am in two minds, happy for her, but as a mum scared too, she is only 15 and half.

The age is 15 in NZ, way too young IMO, but of course Melissa would disagree with that,still at least she won't be like her old mother, i have never had a licence.

Congratulations Melissa! My oldest has failed her test twice thank goodness! My youngest I am sure will pass and I am not worried about her driving. The law is similar here, they get there permit at 15. Since you don't drive does she train with her Father or can she train with you in the car?

Karen
01-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Hey, Carole - maybe now is the time for you to learn as well. My beloved friend Eva never learned to drive, and regretted it when her children moved out of state, and her husband had passed away. You and Melissa could learn together - of course that might drive your husband completely nuts, but hey - that's what dads are for, right? :)

davidpizzica
01-10-2008, 05:42 PM
Sis, congratulations to Melissa for getting her learners permit. The rules for getting a learners permit and a drivers license are similar in Pennsylvania, at 15 when you pass your test then you're issued your permit ( where you have to have a licensed driver in the car) and at 16 you're issued your full license. One difference though, in the U.S.A. we drive on the right side of the road, I'd be a little nervous if I had to drive in NZ!

carole
01-10-2008, 06:35 PM
Yes she will have her dad teaching her, this is one time in my life i am thankful i cannot drive, i would not be patient enough and too nervous, dad is the patient kind and very good at teaching, she will have some driving school lessons as well, but mostly dad will do the teaching.

Karen i have thought about it many times,and i wished i had my licence before they changed it,at one time people over 25 did not have to go through the three levels, that is what really puts me off, i would love my licence, but sometimes one knows when you are better off not being on the road, i don't have the confidence and i feel i would endanger myself and others,i am way too nervous a person,some things are blessings in disguise. :)

Chilli
01-10-2008, 07:20 PM
Congratulations to Melissa!

It took three times for me to pass my permit test... and even then I hardly passed. I've learned alot since then, though! Here in Arkansas you can get your permit at 14 years of age.

Learning to drive from her dad will be a good memory she will always keep. My dad is the one who taught me to drive, and those times with him are some of my fondest. :)

Good luck! I'm sure Melissa is a good kid and will make you even more proud.

carole
01-10-2008, 07:38 PM
oh my gosh really 14, wow i thought we had one of the youngest driving ages, but it appears not,and many different states over there have the same as our's.

Yes I am sure she will enjoy learning, she is very keen, and dad is a good patient teacher,one of the best, so she is lucky. :)

caseysmom
01-10-2008, 09:36 PM
Congratulations to Melissa!

It took three times for me to pass my permit test... and even then I hardly passed. I've learned alot since then, though! Here in Arkansas you can get your permit at 14 years of age.

Learning to drive from her dad will be a good memory she will always keep. My dad is the one who taught me to drive, and those times with him are some of my fondest. :)

Good luck! I'm sure Melissa is a good kid and will make you even more proud.
I can't believe you can get a permit at 14! Wow, how old till you can get a license in Arkansas?

Chilli
01-11-2008, 03:48 PM
I can't believe you can get a permit at 14! Wow, how old till you can get a license in Arkansas?

You can get a hardship license at 15, but you have to have a good reason. Like if you have to attend school-related practices but your parents are unable to take you.

Then you get your actual license at 16. :)

I, honestly, think 14 is a bit too young to have a permit. It hardly makes a difference in my area, though. Most people learn to drive on the back roads long before they turn 14.