PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Lump on Anika's Back From Shot?...Going to the Anika at vets anxiety

Anikaca77
01-08-2008, 09:40 AM
Well yesterday evening, Anika and I made a trip to the vets to get her checked out. She's down from 15 lbs. to 11 1/2 pds. She has been pulling out her hair on her belly, legs, and front paws. The vet gave her a shot to help her (it has some steriods in it and some alergy meds incase it's alergy's causing her to excessive lick herself). I felt like such a bad mom yesterday plus she needed her anal glands expressed too.

I just hope this shot will help her with her anxiety....the vet said if this doesn't help that maybe we should think about her best interest in rehoming her....but I hope this shot helps...Annie is 8 and I've had her since she was 2 yrs. old and just because her and Sebass don't get along I don't feel is a reason to give her up but I don't want Annie to be stressed all the time or doing this to herself. I live in a small one bedroom apartment and I'm hoping by next year my husband and I will have enough money that we can afford to move out....just right now it's just not an option. I wish it was because then we would give Annie her own room....

Also, while I was at the vets they said her teeth need to be cleaned and maybe a few pulled..depending....the vet said I'm looking at about an estimated cost of $300.

I'm going to hopefully get her teeth done once I get my income tax return.

Well that's all for now.

Melissa

AbbyMom
01-08-2008, 09:03 PM
I'm sorry to hear Anika is having a hard time right now. I hope the shots help.

Did the vet say anything about changing her food in case it's food allergies? My Abby has started pulling the hair out on her feet.

It's probably because she hates her sister, but the vet said that if it gets worse, that it could be food allergies.

Did you change food recently?

Either way, could you try switching her to a different type of food? Something with rice in it perhaps?

Finally, if it is stress, have you thought of putting rescue remedy in her water to ease it?

Good luck.

Laura's Babies
01-09-2008, 08:53 AM
Gee whiz...and a lot of people think they don't have any feelings. If only they could live a cats life!

Poor baby, I sure hope the shot helps her and she feels better soon.

Anikaca77
01-09-2008, 09:06 AM
AbbyMom,

I hope the shot helps too.

The vet didn't say anything about the food changing because Annie did this before when she got very stressed about Sebastian living with us.

So far I think she has been pretty chilled but I just have to wait for a few more weeks and see how it goes.

I haven't changed her food lately either. My one cat Hermes is very sensitive so changing food would be hard but I would do it if that's what the vet thinks later but right now I think she thinks it's stress related because of Sebastian and I'm thinking the same thing.

I'm sorry to hear Anika is having a hard time right now. I hope the shots help.

Did the vet say anything about changing her food in case it's food allergies? My Abby has started pulling the hair out on her feet.

It's probably because she hates her sister, but the vet said that if it gets worse, that it could be food allergies.

Did you change food recently?

Either way, could you try switching her to a different type of food? Something with rice in it perhaps?

Finally, if it is stress, have you thought of putting rescue remedy in her water to ease it?

Good luck.

rosethecopycat
01-09-2008, 09:35 AM
Sending calming thoughts for Anika.

Anikaca77
01-11-2008, 07:20 AM
Thank you for the calming thoughts, she really needs them. This morning Sebastian (the one who will stare at her which I didn't realize that meant agression) walked right in front of her and she didn't growl or anything she did such a good job. I thinking this shot will help.

Denyce
01-11-2008, 03:05 PM
What vet do you use again? My Deirdre looks sooooo much like your Anika. Deirdre yanks out her hair on her legs and tummy also. I tried EVERYTHING! Nothing at all helped. So I just ignore it and love her as much as I can. Frankly I say the thing the helped the most was the Feliway plug ins. But never did my vet EVER suggest rehoming her. She came into our home and we had cats already. She is soooo very attached to me and I think a lot of the reason she pulls her hair out is because I have to leave her and go to work. Bad evil meowmy. I should stay at home and provide a comfortable lap for her to sit on and a glass of cold ice water at her disposal and anything else she wants..*wink* She is my baby and I wouldn't give her up for the world and I truly do not think that another home would be better for her. I don't know your cat or you personally but I am better it wouldnt' be for Anika either.

*big supportive hugs*

Deirdre or The Mighty Huntress...Deirdre of the PA Serengeti..the Bringer of Death and Destruction.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/TheMightyHuntress/047.jpg

Brianna (orangie) Katiebug (tortie) Deirdre (in the middle) Kaliban (our RB girl who is still greatly missed)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/TheMightyHuntress/157.jpg

lvpets2002
01-11-2008, 03:19 PM
;) Anika just think of Calming Whisker Vibes.. Get Well Soon..

catmandu
01-11-2008, 05:02 PM
THE FOUND CATS THINK THAT ANIKA NEEDS A CAT MOUSE TO BEAT UP AND RELIEVE HER STRESS, IF HER MEOWMIE SENDS US A PM WITH HER NAME AND ADDRESS WE WOULD BE GLAD TO SEND ONE ALONG. THE BIG MICE ALWAYS BRINGS OUT THE HUNTERS IN THE FOUND CATS AND REALLY RELAXES THEM!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/th_d800e971.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/?action=view&current=d800e971.pbr)

Felicia's Mom
01-11-2008, 05:30 PM
I just saw your post on Anika, hope she is doing better.

She reminds me of Felicia.

aki
01-11-2008, 05:43 PM
question, is anika an only "child"? my sister's cat macio was doing the same thing (pulling out his fur) and they tried everything. custom food thinking it was allergies, to cat massage and other stuff. then she did some research and read that some cats get lonely and will pull out fur. and even tho they have a dog also, it's not the same somehow and they can still get lonely and depressed. they got a kitten for macio for christmas (LOL! a cat for a cat) named felix and i guess macio is doing much better. i guess the cats just love each other to pieces and macio's hair is coming back nice and thick.

Aki :D

krazyaboutkatz
01-12-2008, 12:58 AM
I'm sorry to hear this.:( I would also try buying a few feliway plugins. You can also buy the spray too. I've been using these and a similar item that I buy at Petsmart and they really seem to help to destress my furkids. Storms also on an herbal calming pill to help his aggressive behavior. I call it his chill pill and it helps him a lot. I hope she'll start feeling better soon. Good luck.:)

Anikaca77
01-17-2008, 08:11 AM
Anika is not the only child she has 5 other brothers and sisters living with her. The one cat male he's 5 yrs. old and she hates him I got him when he was 3 yrs old and he just likes to stare at her which is agression so I think he causes a lot of the stress.

question, is anika an only "child"? my sister's cat macio was doing the same thing (pulling out his fur) and they tried everything. custom food thinking it was allergies, to cat massage and other stuff. then she did some research and read that some cats get lonely and will pull out fur. and even tho they have a dog also, it's not the same somehow and they can still get lonely and depressed. they got a kitten for macio for christmas (LOL! a cat for a cat) named felix and i guess macio is doing much better. i guess the cats just love each other to pieces and macio's hair is coming back nice and thick.

Aki :D

Anikaca77
01-17-2008, 08:15 AM
Denyce,

I go to All Creatures Vet Care in Centre Hall. Yeah they do look a like. I have used the Feliway plug ins but those didn't seem to help her. I wouldn't ever give her up. She's going to be 8 next month and I can't see ever giving her up. I'm hoping soon my husband and I will be able to get a bigger place but in the meantime I think she's doings pretty well.

What vet do you use again? My Deirdre looks sooooo much like your Anika. Deirdre yanks out her hair on her legs and tummy also. I tried EVERYTHING! Nothing at all helped. So I just ignore it and love her as much as I can. Frankly I say the thing the helped the most was the Feliway plug ins. But never did my vet EVER suggest rehoming her. She came into our home and we had cats already. She is soooo very attached to me and I think a lot of the reason she pulls her hair out is because I have to leave her and go to work. Bad evil meowmy. I should stay at home and provide a comfortable lap for her to sit on and a glass of cold ice water at her disposal and anything else she wants..*wink* She is my baby and I wouldn't give her up for the world and I truly do not think that another home would be better for her. I don't know your cat or you personally but I am better it wouldnt' be for Anika either.

*big supportive hugs*

Deirdre or The Mighty Huntress...Deirdre of the PA Serengeti..the Bringer of Death and Destruction.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/TheMightyHuntress/047.jpg

Brianna (orangie) Katiebug (tortie) Deirdre (in the middle) Kaliban (our RB girl who is still greatly missed)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/TheMightyHuntress/157.jpg

Anikaca77
01-17-2008, 08:19 AM
Well Anika is going to the vets today. I noticed a small lump on her back a little bit down from her shoulder blades and I'm pretty sure it's a lump from the shot she got last week but I just don't want to take any chances.

I called the vets yesterday and told them about it and the vet said that it's mostly likely from the shot she gave her last week but I could bring her in for free just to make sure so I'm going to just to be safe.

I really hope it's nothing big. She had a small tumor (not cancerious) on her cheek when she was about 3 yrs old and I had that removed and it's never came back.

I'll just have to keep positive thoughts that it's just from her shot. I just wonder why they get a lump...my one other cat Ashley had a rabies shot and she got a lump on her back as a reaction to the shot.

Scooter's Mom
01-17-2008, 09:09 PM
My Charlie has gotten those lumps from shots. Sure scared me, but he took it in stride.

Hoping it's nothing!

Anikaca77
01-18-2008, 08:27 AM
YIPPEEE The lump is just from her shot!

Thankgoodness.

I wonder why the cats get these sometimes.