PDA

View Full Version : doberman mad at random cars

secuono
01-07-2008, 11:20 PM
ok, so i have a almost 2 year old doberman, he's the best. and a few months ago he started barking and lunging at cars. He won't always do it, sometimes its just one car or every car, every few days or even not for weeks before he will do it again, its really random. he also only does this at late at night. :confused: does anyone know whats up with him...? thanks

SemaviLady
01-12-2008, 09:44 PM
Is he in your yard or on a leash when this happens? You don't have to answer that. I was just thinking he needs to be safe.

Of course, now with your question. I don't know his history but for some reason he started doing this. And the problem is in itself, self-rewarding. You know what that means, right? If he huffs up, the 'problem' disappears. Light bulb flashes over his head. He huffs out his masculine chest and buffs with fingernails and blows on them proudly. What? another threat? Rinse! repeat! ;) :D

So he's found a new job, it seems. :(

One way to stop this is to make him associate a passing car with something he loves that will keep him too busy and otherwise happy to bark. It has to be a reward of great value. Maybe a squeaky toy with a hidden treat, or if he's ball driven, a special ball that will get his undivided attention. Every dog is different. My breed is an Anatolian so balls and treats would not work.

As an accessory to this training, teaching self control and attention work will also help. If he's paying attention to you, he may glance at you and defer to your decision more quickly.

Many guardian type breeds like the Anatolian, just want you to acknowledge when the dog has let the 'pack' know about a threat. Tell the dog, thanks for letting you know, and then tell the dog, that's enough.

So there's three things to try dependent on the character of your dog and your skills.

1. Associate with something that is fun and will conflict with the behavior (can't be done simultanously)
2. Increase partnership parameters with attention training and self control (schuzthund, agility and other such are ways to develop this in a more formal sport)
3. Acknowledge the dog then let the dog know "Okay, that's enough". This latter will tend to work with dogs that have innate self control.