PDA

View Full Version : Really irritated....(political)

Cookiebaker
01-07-2008, 09:01 AM
So, since its the day before primaries, I'm finally "getting political" and watching the news and interviews etc. I just finished watching a CNN interview with some New Hampshirites, and I gotta say that I am less than impressed. They did not interview a single business person in their entire commentary. They made all New Hampshirites out to be hicks from hicksville, that everybody still wears overalls and lives with their Momma :( ; (not that there is anything wrong with that, mind you), but that is not main-stream New Hampshire, at all! They filmed their interview in a bowling alley...and I think that if they had filmed it elsewhere they would have gotten a lot different set of opinions, know what I mean, and they should not have passed it off as how New Hampshire is.

lizbud
01-07-2008, 09:45 AM
I hear you but, that's not really political, is it? That's what most TV news
people do. It's the same here. In their effort to get a feel of the "common
man" they interview any bloke they can grab a hold of. Indy people are
most often portrayed as county hicks and most people I know are far more
knowledgeable & literate than the way they appear on some tv news show.

BTW, Have you watched the debates in Iowa & New Hampshire ? It's
been pretty interesting so far. :)

lady_zana
01-07-2008, 10:03 AM
Do you know that old Jeff Foxworthy joke about when a tornado passes through they never interview the doctor or the lawyer about it? It's always the fat lady in the muumuu and hair curlers that gets put on the news.

That's the same thing that happens where I live too. 90% of the time, if the news is talking to people about something important, they are going to find the most stereotypical person to ask questions about and it reflects the idea that everyone from that region is the same way.

I'm from Kentucky so you can guess what kind of stereotypes we get when the news interviews us! It's almost guarenteed that the one person with no shoes, one lone tooth in his head, and a wad of tabacco in his jaw is the one person who is going to be put on the news and shown over and over again.

smokey the elder
01-07-2008, 12:56 PM
Yeah, since most independents which I have known tend to be that way because no one party fits with their mindset or values, and they have well-considered positions.