PDA

View Full Version : Computer Question

critter crazy
01-06-2008, 10:17 PM
As you all know, my computer crashed the other day. I had to re-install Windows XP, only this time, I went with Windows XP Pro. The problem I have now is No sound! I got o Volume Control this is the message "There are no Active mixer Devices. Go to control panel, click printers and other Hardware, and then click add hardware."

First off there is no "printers and other Hardware" and secondly "add Hardware" dosent do a darn thing!!

Help!!!:confused:

Catty1
01-06-2008, 10:32 PM
My thought - reinstall the XP disk, and then do the Hardware thing...

G535
01-06-2008, 10:41 PM
When you install an OS you also need to install the drivers for various devices if Windows doesn't have generic drivers for them.

Jessika
01-07-2008, 02:09 AM
Do you have an onboard sound card? Onboard, as in the soundcard is integrated with your motherboard? If so then you will need to find the CD for your motherboard and install drivers... if not, and you bought an aftermarket/separate sound card, you'll need to find *that* software and install the drivers. Windows doesn't know your hardware to come pre-set with the drivers you need. Most of time the default drivers that comes with windows work, but sometimes they don't. If you bought your computer from someplace like Best Buy and everything was already installed, they should have given you a bunch of CDs and one of them will be what you need.

If you can't find your CDs, the only other option I can think of is
**If you have an on-board sound card: Look inside your computer at the motherboard to try to find a make, model and serial number then google it to see if you can't find a manufacturer's website that has information on downloading drivers, or
**If you have an aftermarket sound card (or one that isn't on-board): Look inside your computer at the sound card to try to find a make, model and serial number and then google that as well if you don't already know what it is.

Most manufacturer's WILL have drivers for download on their websites. When in doubt, call customer support!

Good luck!