PDA

View Full Version : RAM question (my computer)

Catty1
01-05-2008, 09:38 PM
OK. Found out I need more RAM. Called the computer shop I want to deal with.

I got told about them needing to know if it's DDR, DDR2, PC2, and the speed, etc.

I called the guy who put the computer together for me - but he is still on holidays.

Not that this is URGENT - but is there any way for me to find the RAM information needed without taking a screwdriver and looking at the motherboard? (Yes, I looked in the Systems folder. Tells me the amount I have, and nothing else.).

Thanks if you can help!

Karen
01-05-2008, 09:45 PM
Yeah, just google your motherboard, and see how much RAM it will take. RAM is cheap (relatively) right now. How much do you need? Depends on what you want to be able to do! You can order the memory online, crucial.com often has good memory and is a relaible company.

Catty1
01-05-2008, 09:57 PM
okaaay....so now I open up my computer to find out what kind of motherboard I have? JK! Is there a way I can search that?

Karen
01-05-2008, 10:01 PM
Do you have the paperwork from when you bought it? That should list it ...

Catty1
01-05-2008, 10:03 PM
I do have it...somewhere...it was built for me by this fellow (excellent by the way, and president of the local Linux club). Will go search my tax files.... :)

Thanks!

Catty1
01-06-2008, 12:31 AM
*sigh* no luck. Maybe it was a cash sale.

Will just wait for him to get back...just a few days.

Thanks, Karen. :)

G535
01-06-2008, 09:20 PM
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Download Everest Free Edition and run it, you'll find out more than you need to know about what's in your computer.

Put the screwdriver away! :)

Vette
01-06-2008, 10:12 PM
That could be why your picture/s wasnt wanting to resize for you. but my old computer used to do the samething an it wasnt really low on RAM. it was like it pigged in the resource memory.

Catty1
01-06-2008, 10:25 PM
WOOHOO!

The RAM is DDR SDRAM! I even have all the numbers for the type of motherboard!

Thanks, G535! :D

Vette....the thing is, I know only one way to increase the size of the photos. I need a certain resolution (DPI) per photo, as opposed to pixel size.

It's a separate thing. I found out by accident I needed more RAM when I was installing Adobe the other day.

I will uninstall and reinstall Nero...I reconfigured the plugins and it didn't do much.

Thanks!

Jessika
01-07-2008, 02:15 AM
LOL I was just gonna tell you to go to start > run

type "dxdiag" without quotes

And it *should* tell you the info there as well instead of downloading a separate program, but you have the info you need now :)

((though sometimes there's problems with certain items not showing up, as mine doesn't say my motherboard because we built it from scratch though I'm assuming you bought yours' pre-built so the info should be there))

G535
01-07-2008, 02:38 AM
I tell my customers to use Everest because dxdiag is not as good, doesn't list all items and is almost useless on older machines. If they were handy with a screwdriver and knew what they were doing inside a computer then they would not be my customers! :)