PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading aquarium

Alasse
01-05-2008, 06:46 PM
I just bought new tank *L*, well i put a deposit on it any way...so it wont arrive for a few weeks yet.

Its a brand new 5ft (313litres). I got it to upgrade my 4ft tank (200litres).

So all this vvvvv.......

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i124/Alasse_au/Fish/4ft22ndDec07c.jpg

Will be removed and held while the changeover occurs, looking way forward to the bigger tank, but not the changeover *LOL*

While i'm awaiting the new tanks arrival, i have to get a new heater & i'm hoping to be able to pick up some new rocks for it, spotted some petrified wood at a shop the other day...looked real neat. Also on the lookout for some unusual driftwood i like.

The substrate will vary a bit too in the new one...still sand but i want to mix gravel or something in with it..

Pics to come

The 4ft will then be for sale (i'd love to keep it, but i really have nowhere to put it *L*)

Freedom
01-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Oh dear, the change over WILL be a challenge!!! But afterwards, you can sit back and **aahhhh!** enjoy the new LARGE view. Sure to be stunning!

How long will you cycle something that size before adding life to it? My tank is small, 25 liters if I remember rightly. I cycled it for about a week before adding fish.

Will the new one fit in the same place, or will you move it to another part of the room? Oh the logistics of the change over! **shudder** I'll come over AFTERWARDS to see the new one, lol.

Alasse
01-05-2008, 10:48 PM
*LOL*...yep it will be a challenge

I cycle my tanks using fish...so generally they are in there from day 1 (naturally very understocked)....i do small water changes often during the cycle to help the tank stabilise, and to keep it safe for the fish. The 4ft took 5 weeks to fully cycle

The 5ft should only go through a mini cycle all going well. The water that is in the 4ft will be kept and put into the 5ft, so i will only have to top it up with new water. The filter will be kept running in a large bin, so the bacteria stay alive.

While i'm pulling down the 4ft, the 5ft has to get the stand & hood at the least varnished (maybe stained)...It should be dry before it is needed *L*

The 5ft is going in the same place as the 4ft. So absolutely everything has to come out of the 4, to be stored in bins, then the 4 moved elsewhere. The 5 then bought in and put where the 4 was and then everything moved back from the bins to the new tank. :eek:

IRescue452
01-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Lucky you! Good luck in the changeover. Don't worry too much about the water, nothing good lives there. I wish I could take the old tank. I'd have it stocked in no time.

Alasse
01-07-2008, 12:13 AM
The water is at the correct parameters...so its is good to keep it and add to the new tank...plus we are in major water restrictions here....so all water saved is a bonus :)