PDA

View Full Version : Hello all newbie with a question here

Bigbuckcrazy
01-05-2008, 06:18 PM
Hi
We have an outdoor cat that got a bunch of grass seeds that are similar
to burrs but realy grab hold. Does any one have any ideas or experience with getting these out with out shaving her? Any thing helps thanks in advance.

Taz_Zoee
01-05-2008, 10:34 PM
Welcome to PT!

My only suggestion would be to make her an indoor cat. :)

Laura's Babies
01-05-2008, 10:48 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk, hope you like it and will hang around with us awhile! I think, by hand, will be the only way to get them out...if the kitty will let you. Is there a reason the kitty has to stay outside?

Karen
01-05-2008, 11:41 PM
Sometimes combing through it with conditioner on the comb will help, or, if kitty is cooperative, you may have cut cut them out with scissors. That might be a two-person job, if she's a squirmer.

Freedom
01-06-2008, 08:22 AM
Will a slicker brush do the trick? If not, then one of the other ideas above should work.

And keep kitty in doors!

BTW, WELCOME to PT!

columbine
01-06-2008, 08:29 AM
Yes, indoors is the way to go - no burrs, dogs, catfights, skunks/porcupines/fishers/martens/possum fights, traffic, contagious diseases, traps, or poison (unless your house is an even bigger mess than mine! :eek: )

I agree that scissors are a good way to get clumps out - approach the cat when she's sleepy and content, show her the scissors, let her rub her face on them, then snip the burrs out. After all, a human's for groomin', right?

Love, Columbine

catmandu
01-06-2008, 04:57 PM
IS SHES EDGY AROUND YOU TRY PETTING HER FOR A FEW DAYS , AND WIT UNTIL SHES MORE RELAXED AND THEN TRY TO SLOWLY CUT THE BURRRS OUT.
DONT PULL AS IT WILL PULL ON HER SKIN, AND SHE WILL BECOME FRIGHTENED AND RETALIATE.
TUBSTER PANTHER WANTS OUT AND SOMETIMES COME HOME A FURRY BURRRRY!!
ITS TAKEN A WHILE BUT HE SITD STILL A LOT MORE THAN HE EVER USED TO!!!!!
:rolleyes: :cool: :D ;) :) :cool: :D ;) :rolleyes: :)

Bigbuckcrazy
01-06-2008, 06:49 PM
We've tried a bunch of things including pam, conditioner,hand pickingand so on and nothing is working. I guess Monday she's going in to get a new due.
thanks for the suggestions of her being an indoor cat but I believe all animals were made for the outdoors and deserve to experience it as much as you and I. they do come in at night and would die if not let out. I'm sure you,d hate to not be able to go for a walk or play in the garden.
Thanks again for the replies and concern.

caseysmom
01-06-2008, 10:07 PM
I don't think its cruel to keep them inside, I have a kitty that loves to go outside also and I am trying real hard to change that I would be devastated if he gets hit by a car or attacked by another animal.

Catty1
01-06-2008, 10:29 PM
HI, Bigbuckcrazy - too bad your kitty needs the big trim! Unless you call a pet groomer and ask for tips - but they may want you to bring her in anyway! :)

What's her name? Do you have a picture of her?

I hope all works out well.

Bigbuckcrazy
01-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Thanks Catty
this morning she had taken most ofit out her self but she's still heading to petsmart

Catty1
01-07-2008, 07:06 PM
LOL. Cats are pretty good self-cleaning units, but even they need some help some time! :)

Save her dignity and don't post pics until she grows her hair back. ;)