PDA

View Full Version : When you can't sleep..?

Gin
01-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Last week, I asked for advice with migraine headaches. Thanks to all the people who replied. Now I'm asking for help with the NO SLEEP thing.

Every night I wake up around midnight and lie awake until it's time to get up. Sometimes I get up and read or watch TV for a while before going back to bed to lie awake some more. This has been going on for about two weeks and it's driving me crazy.

How do you get to sleep? And STAY asleep?

Thanks.

Taz_Zoee
01-05-2008, 06:18 PM
Sometimes I take Melatonin. Our bodies produce melatonin so taking one tablet just adds to it and helps you relax. Of course, there are other sleep aides out there for more severe cases of insomnia. A few people I know take Ambien. I believe it is a prescription though.
I went through a bout of insomnia some years ago. Eventually it just stopped. I think it was stress related.

I know how it feels, and it's not fun. So I hope you can find something to help you. Good luck. :)

joycenalex
01-05-2008, 07:42 PM
early afternoon exercise, no coffee (sigh!) and melatonin, 6 mgs in my case

Freedom
01-05-2008, 08:38 PM
If it is just an occassional thing (with me it is maybe once every 3 weeks?) I take Benadryl. Puts me to sleep in about 20 minutes, and no after effects in the morning.

If it is a long term thing, then think about food and exercise, and what may be bothering you (unless this has been a life long problem). I never have coffee, tea, or anything w/ caffeine after about 2 PM, haven't for years. I think there is something else which it is suggested to avoid as well.

Best wishes.

Catty1
01-05-2008, 08:46 PM
5htp, a precursor to tryptophan, which isn't sold on its own any more.

Ovaltine! :) I've heard that is good.

jennielynn1970
01-06-2008, 12:15 AM
I drink Ovaltine, but only cause I like it, not to sleep better, lol.

I tried melatonin for my insomnia, but it really didn't do much. I have, however, been on Ambien since about July/August. It has made a WORLD of difference in the way I feel in morning (rested and not exhausted).

There are some side effects with Ambien, and when they say you need at least 7 to 8 hours to devote to sleep, they are not kidding. Taking Ambien and only having 5-6 hours to sleep will not work... you'll be dragging yourself out of bed, if you wake up, lol.

Of the side effects, for me I find that I get more emotional if I take it and do not go to bed within about 20 minutes of taking it. I'll be writing emails or whatever else, and be so out of it and when I reread in the AM what I wrote, it's just bizarre. I don't even remember 90% of it.

My friend who takes it found that she will wake up with heartburn, not knowing why she feels sick to her stomach and have heartburn, only to walk out to the kitchen and find an empty box to a frozen pizza that she heated up and ate the entire thing!! Sleep eating and sleep walking are a common side effect of the Ambien/Lunesta.

I haven't done the sleep eating or the sleep walking thing, thankfully, but the way it makes me feel over emotional and write wacky emails and stuff isn't great, lol.

I haven't found it to be addicting, but I also have found that I cannot mix it with Nyquil or any kind of cold med with an antihistamine in it. It knocks me for a loop, and I feel almost drunk or something. I have to take a non-drowsy medication for my allergies or a cold at night when taking the Ambien.

moosmom
01-06-2008, 08:45 AM
Tryptophan is the chemical in turkeys. That's why whenever we have a big turkey dinner, we feel like taking a nap. I give it to my cats at shows.