PDA

View Full Version : Cat question

slleipnir
01-05-2008, 04:33 PM
My niece has a cat at her grandmothers house (not my mother, her other grandmother) apparently the other night it sorta went crazy. It was bouncing off the walls, scratching at it's ears, yowling, and just seemed crazy. I guess it died last night, and they have no idea why. She was a 4 year old cat, so that's not even that old. I have no idea why it wasn't taken to the vet. They said they were afraid of it?? I don't know...anyone have any idea what it could be?? Sounds strange to me. It also sounds like she was in a lot of pain...

catmandu
01-05-2008, 04:55 PM
Its hard to say, but yor Neices Cat could have had a blod clot or anuyerism on the brain, and her thrashing and activity could have been the recation to the pain that she was feeling.
Cats react differently to pain, some hide and some try to fight , and trash about.
We are sorry to hear that she passed away, now at lease whatever hurt her wont hurt her anymore.
And she will be there for your neice in The Rainbow Bridge waiting to take her to Paradise.
One Fine Day.

Freedom
01-05-2008, 04:59 PM
Oh how sad!

If they really want to know, their vet can do a necropsy. I had one done on Bill last year when he died suddenly; I needed to know if it was something contagious, with so many pets in the house. I only had the organs reviewed. They "could" have sent out samples and blood work to a lab, I didn't request that. As it turned out, the organ reivew showed his liver was fully involved in disease, and that is not contagious, so I had the info I needed.

caseysmom
01-05-2008, 06:19 PM
I wonder if it had a really bad case of ear mites? I took potter in for his regular check up and he had ear mites, I didn't even know he had them.

Laura's Babies
01-05-2008, 06:36 PM
I don't know what to tell you.. Something was definately wrong, that's for sure. I am sorry they lost such a young baby in such a sudden, mysterious way. I would call a vet and describe to him what happened and see if he might have a answer.

Catty1
01-05-2008, 07:45 PM
A seizure?

How terribly sad!

Are they going to get a necropsy done - or is it too late? :(

Kitty could have eaten something poisonous too...but cats are pretty careful about what they eat.

What if's do no good...but if they could have thrown a towel over it and taken it to the vet...

How old is your niece?

Very sad - I am so sorry. :(

krazyaboutkatz
01-05-2008, 07:54 PM
I'm so sorry to heart this.:( I don't know what to tell you. You'd have to talk to a vet about it.

Medusa
01-06-2008, 08:21 AM
I have no idea why it wasn't taken to the vet. They said they were afraid of it??
Afraid of what, the cat or the vet? It's doubtful they'll do a necropsy if they wouldn't take the cat to the vet when she was sick. I'm so sorry this happened! I saw something like this when I was newly married. The neighbor's little boy dunked their kitten in a container of kerosene (he's probably serving a life sentence now, the heathen) and the poor kitten went crazy. Ran to my house and when I picked it up, it ran all over the place, climbed the walls and stuck to the ceiling. I wanted to take it to the vet but I had no transportation; my husband had the car and he was on alert at the AF base. They let the kitten go and the poor thing died. Perhaps this cat got into something and drank/ate it. RIP, poor little thing. :(

slleipnir
01-06-2008, 03:17 PM
My niece is 13. She wasn't at her grandmothers when it happened. My sister told mer her grandparents were afraid of the cat, and that is why they didn't take it. I told her I would have put a blanket over it. I have no idea. My niece is upset about this, of course. My sis told me they were thinking of taking it to the vet to get it checked out, I haven't heard from her since so I'm not sure if they did.