PDA

View Full Version : How much should tailors cost?

Pembroke_Corgi
01-05-2008, 10:38 AM
I would like to reline a full-length cashmere/wool coat and get a few things repaired (hem has come down, and pocket is ripped). How much should this run?

I called the one place I know of in my neighborhood and they said it should cost $170 just to get it relined! :eek: I bought the coat 3 years ago on clearance for $200 (it was originally $1400, but $170 is nearly what I paid for the coat!).

In the mean time I bought a new coat, as this one really needs some repairs and I love it so I want to keep it but nearly $200 seems outrageous to me.

Is $170 reasonable just to reline a coat? I plan on calling around, but tailors aren't exactly in abundance.

lizbud
01-05-2008, 11:33 AM
I would think you could do better than that here in Indy. I think they
base their costs on the fabric they work on & length of time spent.
Probably under 100.00. Are you using a silk liner?

Freedom
01-05-2008, 11:35 AM
If done properly, relining requires undoing most of the seams and remaking the entire coat. So, yeah, I guess it would be pricey. I've never had that done, so no idea re prices. Just from sewing, I have a bit of an idea what all is involved. Take a look at the cuff end of the sleeve! All that has to be taken apart, and matched up again.

Pembroke_Corgi
01-05-2008, 11:55 AM
If done properly, relining requires undoing most of the seams and remaking the entire coat. So, yeah, I guess it would be pricey. I've never had that done, so no idea re prices. Just from sewing, I have a bit of an idea what all is involved. Take a look at the cuff end of the sleeve! All that has to be taken apart, and matched up again.
Ok, well that makes it easier to understand why it costs so much! I don't sew so I had no idea! Thanks. Most of the lining is fine, but there is a big patch were it is ripped/worn away. I wonder if that could just be patched or something?

I would think you could do better than that here in Indy. I think they base their costs on the fabric they work on & length of time spent.
Probably under 100.00. Are you using a silk liner?

I don't think it's a silk liner, but I'm no expert. It seems more like nylon to me.

Thanks for both of your opinions! They have been helpful. Maybe I can see how much it would be to patch the liner and sew up the hem and rip.

Taz_Zoee
01-05-2008, 12:26 PM
I called my mom, who has owned a dry cleaners longer than I've been alive, and she said she would quote you an estimate at about $200. She said it depends on the quality of fabric you choose for the liner. A better fabric, which would last longer, will be more expensive. And she agreed with Freedom's post about how time consuming it would be.

Since it is just the liner and people will not see it, patching it would probably be much cheaper and less work.

Pembroke_Corgi
01-10-2008, 09:01 PM
I called my mom, who has owned a dry cleaners longer than I've been alive, and she said she would quote you an estimate at about $200. She said it depends on the quality of fabric you choose for the liner. A better fabric, which would last longer, will be more expensive. And she agreed with Freedom's post about how time consuming it would be.

Since it is just the liner and people will not see it, patching it would probably be much cheaper and less work.
Wow, thanks for your opinion and calling your mom! I agree that patching sounds like a better (and cheaper!) option. Thank you for your help! :)