PDA

View Full Version : Lexi Bites alot, why

JadeandLexi'skittymom
01-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Lexi is 2 1/2 yrs old, but still acts like a kitten. She runs wild thru the house, doing flying leaps into the air that would make a pro skateboarder jealous. She likes hiding under furniture and attacking your feet, etc... One thing she does that is a bit annoying is biting, well I should say, nibble, she nibbles on your ankles, if you don't pick her up or pet her when she's rubbing against you. Which I can't do if i'm cooking dinner or washing dishes, etc... She has sharp teeth and it hurts. She doesn't break the skin, but still..... She also likes to chew on everything; like magazines, books, wrapped Christmas gifts (not cool to find your gift chewed up under the tree), Important military papers of my husbands (he wasn't impressed), my sofa........ I plan to talk to our vet at her next appt, but does anyone know if this is normal? I have had cats for over 30 yrs, since I was about 7 and never had a chewing/biting cat.
Thanks, Jade and Lexi's Kitty Mom

Karen
01-04-2008, 01:41 PM
Is she declawed by any chance? Some declawed cats will then resort to using teeth ...

If she's not, hmmm, dunno why. Extra thick socks may be a solution this time of year, but still ...

What do you do when she nibbles? Have you tried having a spray bottle handy, and spritzing her with water when she does that?

JadeandLexi'skittymom
01-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Yes, she is declawed, we got her that way from the shelter. We have tried the spray bottle, it didn't work for that or for keeping her off the dining room table. (she seems to think it's a game, we spray her, she runs and licks off, then she comes back and it starts all over again) Nothing seems to faze her. I bought her more kitty toys to try to keep her more entertained, I thought maybe she was bored, but they didn't work. My husband thinks she's a bit mentally challenged. I think she's smart, she knows how to get your attention and get what she wants. But I don't want the silly girl to chew up something that will hurt her.

Karen
01-04-2008, 02:07 PM
Okay, well, now we know why she's biting (no claws for expression), that's kind of common in declawed kitties.

Have you tried a noise as disincentive - a few pebbles or pennies in a soda can (then the hole taped over) makes a noise some cats hate. Obviously water doesn't bother her, we've got to find something that does. Then, if EVERYONE in the house remembers to do it consistently, you might make a dent in her behavior. I mean, she is a cat ... but those teeny teeth HURT!

Catty1
01-04-2008, 02:23 PM
I use Feliway on Oscar - he had a bout of idiopathic cystitis a couple of years ago, which is caused by stress.

The vet suggested trannies, and thanks to hearing about Feliway (cat face pheromones) on PT, I asked to try that instead.

I use a very stretchy collar on Oscar (not a breakaway collar, as his lower jaw got stuck in it when grooming and it DIDN'T break away! :eek: ). I shake the Feliway, and give a tiny squirt right into the collar.

Feliway is not cheap - but a little goes a LOOOONG way, especially with the collar technique (which my vet loves). Cats are supposed to be exposed to it for up to 4 hours, and since your Lexi moves even more than my Oscar does, the collar was a good solution!

Without the claws, she may just need a little help calming down.

FWIW, my vet told me cats are considered juveniles til age two. :)

tonnerrebird
01-23-2008, 05:12 PM
I've had cats who were declawed and ones who weren't, but biting/chewing doesn't seem to have a link with either. One way to reduce chewin on people and items is to use a spray like bitter apple. Start with a small bottle or a free sample first though, some animals like the taste (like some ferrets I know). There are other bitter sprays, like "Phooey", which I can taste in the air when I get to generous with the spray, but it's kept my kitties from chewing on plants, and kept the conure from chewing on the blinds. Also, I've known people with nippy ferrets who will spray chew-stop on their hands, ankles, and/or toes before handling the fuzzy beasts. Once chomp or nip, during the first few encounters after using the spray, and most of the time, they "cure" themselves of the problem.

I had read that you had tried new cats, but what about swapping them out? For many animals it helps to put different toys out in cycles. Have one set washed, or put aside for awhile until they get "bored" with the the current set. Then switch them out. Enrichment items (like catnip inside a empty tissue box) that you can get creative with can also help to distract. I recently came upon a new toy that helped "wear out" my 6 month old kitty when she starts being a punk. It's a cone shape toy that you place on a shelf or table or floor, flip a switch, and a laser dot does circles on the floor. It's just regular circles, but it stops at random spots every 30 seconds or so. And, best of all, it shuts itself off after 15 minutes. After a session, Keesa is usually ready to chill out, have a snack, or play nicely.

Anyway, I hope some of these ideas can help you out. It's good to here your kitty is obviously healthy, and very active. She's just a bit, too active for her own good sometimes. Good luck!

Nimitz68
01-23-2008, 10:16 PM
This thread reminds me of a cat on youtube called Sparta. The Mean Kitty video is at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qit3ALTelOo&feature=user . The cat looks like my cat Midway. :)

Catlady711
01-24-2008, 02:11 AM
This thread reminds me of a cat on youtube called Sparta. The Mean Kitty video is at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qit3ALTelOo&feature=user . The cat looks like my cat Midway. :)

I LOVE that video!!! Very catchy tune too!!

I agree with a poster above, that I've not seen a link between clawed vs declawed cats and biting. We have both kinds at the hospital and about an equal number of biters vs non biters in each group.

What I HAVE noticed in almost all of the biting cases is that someone in the house, usually the hubby or kids, is wrestling with the cat with their hands/feet. All this does is teach the cat that it's fun and ok to attack human body parts.

Worst case I ever saw was a very elderly lady who came in wearing a dress and her legs were scratched and bitten up so badly you'd think she got into a car wreck. I made mention of her injuries and turns out the cat (fully armed) had done all the damage unprovoked to her legs. It was so bad she had been to the dr's several times and they recommended she give the cat up. Her son & grandson were with her at the vet appt. and I asked them if either of them wrestled with the cat with their hands/feet. Both guys answered 'yes', they thought it was funny. I had to bite my tongue to keep from blasting them, but did firmly explain how they were causing the behaviour that was causing this poor old lady's injuries. About a year later no more new wounds on the lady's legs, I asked if the wrestling had stopped and they said 'yes' they hadn't realized how serious this issue was and had finally started detering the cat with a squirt bottle.

If ANYONE in your house is wrestling with this kitty, put a stop to them now. Even letting kitty attack your feet under your bed covers is not good. When kitty attacks your hands/feet try a squirt of water or a loud noise and firmly say 'no'.