PDA

View Full Version : Song suggestions for a memorial slideshow *update*

Kater
01-04-2008, 03:50 AM
Hello PTers.

I have a quick update and a heartfelt request. It has been 2 weeks now since my father passed away and everything has been going quite well. My mother and I are rather at peace. He prepared us so well, and there is no guilt, questions or much that went unsaid. I know there are tough times ahead, but I am really not worrying about it a lot right now. I love that I am at peace. He would be so happy about that. Thank you all for your kind words and support. I appreciate it more than you could know. :)

I'm hoping you can help me with a project my family is working on for my father's funeral on the 12th. We are having a digital slideshow of photographs put together. It will be put to music, but if we do not provide specific selections then the company will just use music of their choosing from his era. I have been trying to come up with songs, but I am drawing a bit of a blank! I have been going through oodles of photos, so my brain is kinda fried. I know that you all will have great suggestions to get my creative juices flowing! I think his favorite music era was the 50s, but as you will see my ideas are all over the place.

Here's what I've come up with tonight...

Somewhere Over The Rainbow/What A Wonderful World - Israel Kamakawiwo'ole
Wind Beneath my Wings
Hawaiian Soul - Jon Osorio (my Mom's request)
How Great Thou Art
When You Wish Upon A Star - Louis Armstrong

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer. :)

anna_66
01-04-2008, 06:21 AM
Sorry I don't have any song suggestions, but I'm glad to hear that you and your mother are doing so well.

(((HUGS)))
Anna

pitc9
01-04-2008, 07:43 AM
First off {{{HUGS}}} to you.

You already nailed my favorites for memorials... What a Wonderful World and How Great thou Art.

Here's a website that list popular songs from the 50's.
Maybe if your mom looks through them quickly she'll see something she'd like used.
http://www.stinalisa.com/50sMusic.html

Laura's Babies
01-04-2008, 08:44 AM
I think "The Circle of Life" would be a good choice to consider.

Sorry for your loss and it does help when you find peace with loosing a loved one. I had peace with My mothers passing but I still miss her like the dickens.

CountryWolf07
01-04-2008, 09:55 AM
The Dance - Garth Brooks

caseysmom
01-04-2008, 01:13 PM
First off my condolences.
At my Mother's funeral we used "I will remember you", can't remember the name of the woman singer right now but she is a big name singer.

edit to add this is by Sarah McClachlin (sp)

Dance with my father again is real nice too by luther vandross.

Cinder & Smoke
01-04-2008, 01:46 PM
:(

You and Mom have my sympathies.

Here's an old Hymn we used at all of my Mom's Services and Memorials ---
her favorite Minister sang it at all the sevices, either self-accompanied on the piano, or a capella.

"His Eye Is On the Sparrow"
http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/h/i/hiseyeis.htm

/s/ Phred

Karen
01-04-2008, 02:03 PM
I've sung that one!

http://www.fiftiesweb.com/ has lists of top songs by year ...

How about "Memories Are Made of This?"

Lobodeb
01-04-2008, 04:11 PM
My condolences to you and your family.

I was going to suggest The Dance, by Garth Brooks, too. This one might not be as appropriate, but for you to consider is "If Tomorrow Never Comes," by Garth Brooks.

moosmom
01-04-2008, 05:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A2Jt4WOxN8

It was sung by IZ, a guy from Hawaii. The song was used on ER when Mark died. VERY moving song.

Kater
01-08-2008, 02:30 AM
This is very personal....but you at Pet Talk are part of my extended family.

Here is the first draft of the video memorial....

PM me for URL...

It is certainly a tearjerker. I can't stop watching it....

anna_66
01-08-2008, 06:48 AM
Kate, that was very beautiful and touching. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.
(((HUGS)))
Anna

K9soul
01-08-2008, 08:43 AM
Kate, the video touched my heart in a way I can't find words to describe. What a beautiful spirit and soul, what a special man. Thank you so very, very much for sharing this so we could see a part of your remarkable father. It brought me to tears.

My prayers remain with you and your family. God Bless

{{hugs}}

Pawsitive Thinking
01-08-2008, 08:49 AM
I can't watch it as it reminds me of when I lost my Dad nearly 3 years ago.

At his funeral we played Sunshine by John Denver and I still play it to Dad now.

Here's a great big hug to you and your family - I am sure whatever you decide will make your Dad proud

Vela
01-08-2008, 08:50 AM
I also was brought to tears by watching this. It is very special to have such wonderful things to remember. I am sorry for your loss but I thank you for sharing a part of that with us.

Taz_Zoee
01-08-2008, 09:36 AM
Kate, that was beautiful. I was smiling through the tears. It is wonderful that you have a lot of pictures to make this touching video. It made me realize I have maybe 10 photos of my parents.

Hugs to you and your family.

Cindy

Kfamr
01-08-2008, 09:41 AM
Thank you for sharing that video with us, Kate. Your father was obviously a very, very special man.

Sevaede
01-08-2008, 10:05 AM
Firstly, I am so sorry for your loss. :( *HUG*

What a very nice video! Your dad looked like a very spirited man! :D

ramanth
01-08-2008, 10:31 AM
Kate, what a beautiful memorial and touching tribute. You can tell he was loved and lived a very special life.

I think I spied Kirk in one of those photos. :)

*HUGS* to you and your family. Again, I'm very sorry for your loss.

Kater
01-08-2008, 08:20 PM
I think I spied Kirk in one of those photos. :)
Yup, Tigger and Kirk show up right before my nudie baby beach shot. :)

I am glad you are enjoying it. I have been watching it every day. :)

Catty1
01-08-2008, 09:14 PM
Kater - I just caught up with this now. I didn't watch the video cause this past Christmas I really missed my dad...OMG...I just realized my dad passed away on January 12.

It was 1996.

But the song "Butterfly Kisses" - a man singing about watching his daughter growing up. I am sure you are finished the tribute...but if you are stuck for a song, check that one out if you haven't already.

HUGS to you, and my condolences.

kitten645
01-08-2008, 10:57 PM
I'm sorry for your lose. When my dad passed a couple of years ago, we played Greenday's Time of Your Life and the Beatles In My Life. They were a beautiful part of the memorial.

NoahsMommy
01-10-2008, 02:40 PM
Sweet Kate....its lovely. (((Hugs)))

The contact I had with your dad when I was going through my decision whether or not to get a divorce was so precious to me. For a "stranger" to take the time to give me advice...well, that shows what type of person your dad is...I'm positive he'll be sitting very close to Jesus and our Father in heaven now...he truly was one of God's most precious creations.

Thank you for sharing him with me when I needed it...and this with us now.

Hugs & Love,
Kelly :)

mina'smomma
01-10-2008, 05:33 PM
Bless The Broken Road is a good one too. It can be used for a happy occassion or a memorial.

cloverfdx
01-15-2008, 09:30 AM
Oh Kate i had no idea :(, i am so sorry. The memorial is beautiful, a loving tribute to a wonderful man.

{{Hugs}} To you and your Mum.

Pawsitive Thinking
01-15-2008, 09:42 AM
I can't watch it as it reminds me of when I lost my Dad nearly 3 years ago.

I watched it today - it is truly beautiful. You will always have lots of memories of a wonderful man