PDA

View Full Version : Money or a Job you love?

NicoleLJ
12-30-2007, 10:34 AM
Which would you rather have? a job you love but it only provided a medium or lower wage or a job you hated and had a high stress level but had a very high income?

Personally I would take the lower paying job to do something I love. But that would be me So what would you choose and why.
Nicole

lizbud
12-30-2007, 10:55 AM
I tend to be a pragmatist about jobs so, I'd take the higher income and
"find" something about it that would provide satisfaction. I'd find a silver
lining. :)

Catty1
12-30-2007, 11:04 AM
I find that in the past years or so, I stress out too easily at jobs I dislike...so I would settle now for lower pay (within walking distance) and healing for a while! :)

Randi
12-30-2007, 11:15 AM
I would definately take a lower paid job I like, as long as I could survive on a daily basis.

caseysmom
12-30-2007, 11:19 AM
I would take the higher pay :D then use the money to do things I enjoy...like pay bills!

CountryWolf07
12-30-2007, 11:22 AM
I tend to be a pragmatist about jobs so, I'd take the higher income and
"find" something about it that would provide satisfaction. I'd find a silver
lining. :)

I agree.

binka_nugget
12-30-2007, 11:59 AM
I'd take the lower paying job as long as it covered all the essentials and wasn't extremely tight all the time. However, I *hate* working for "the man" making slightly above minimum wage and plan on starting my own business doing what I love anyways.

finn's mom
12-30-2007, 12:16 PM
I would rather enjoy my job, considering how much time you ultimately spend doing it. But, I'd take a higher paying job that I was so-so about before taking a much lower paying job doing something I loved. There haven't really been any jobs that I hated, I'm pretty easy going and can usually find something to be happy about. So, I don't imagine I'll ever really have to worry about that choice. ;)

kuhio98
12-30-2007, 12:21 PM
If I absolutely hated the job -- dreaded waking up every morning and dragging myself there, I would go for a lower paying job that I liked. But, it would really depend upon what I hated about the job. If I didn't feel qualified, I'd move on. If I didn't get along with the people, I'd ignore them as much as possible. (I have gotten over the need to be liked). A lot of people need their job to be "fulfilling". I've never understood that. To me, my job is what I do. Not who I am. I don't look for a deep, emotional satisfaction from my career. I always tell my co-workers that my job is to afford my REAL life. I look for fulfillment in my personal life. Judging from the reaction of my friends and co-workers, I'm weird. :p

slleipnir
12-30-2007, 12:55 PM
I think I'd rather something I love, so long as I have enough money to get by...atleast that's what I'm going for....D: hopefully it's right

joycenalex
12-30-2007, 12:59 PM
a job is a J-O-B, it gets me what i want, and i want is money to have this great life i'm enjoying. i've been poorer, and it sucks. eileen, alex the wonder dog, princess peanut, the cats, my nutty family, my house and yard my friends, books, computer, music those are life, and that is what counts to me. if i lost everything tomorrow, i know, that what i've had is more then 95% of the rest of the world and i've been very very blessed. i know there are jobs that i will not do, there are jobs that i cannot do. i don't want to live in a cardboard box behind a store on main street with a german shepard named thor when i'm an old woman, so the money i can and do get, goes toward that dream of living comfortably when i'm an old. if i have to eat crow for 5-10 years so i can lay aside enough for comfort when i'm older, pass the hot sauce. i have had great jobs and i've had lousy jobs, but they are just J-O-B-S, not who or what i am, they're what i've done. kuhio, i don't think you're weird ;)

Twisterdog
12-30-2007, 01:05 PM
I used to be a financial analyst. I made a lot of money ... more money than I needed or really cared to spend, frankly. However, I worked long hours and my son was in daycare too much, IMO. I didn't hate the job per se. Certain aspects of it I did not like ... the politics, the hours, the dress code. I liked the work, but I'm one of those people that just want to go to work, do my job quietly, and go home. I'm not into networking, politicing, smoozing, etc.

So, I quit my job and bought a dog kennel and grooming shop. I make now about one fifth the amount of money I used to make. Literally. But it's ok. I don't really care about money, as long as the bills are paid and there is food on the table. I'm not a shopper, and I have more material possesions than I will ever need until the day I die. Plus, I work from home and I'm always here with my kids and my dogs.

So indeed, I would take the lower paying job which made me and my family happy over the higher paying job which made us unhappy ANY DAY.

Edwina's Secretary
12-30-2007, 02:11 PM
Just curious...those of you who say a job is just a job in order to pay for things...would you want a vet looking after your animals who considered it "just a job"? Who wasn't concerned with being fullfilled by the job? Or a doctor who sees it as what they do rather than what they are?

No value judgement...just a question.....

caseysmom
12-30-2007, 02:14 PM
As long as they are technically competent I don't have a problem with it. I don't see my job as who I am but I think I am good at it, I do take pride in doing a good job but I don't think it defines me. I didn't grow up thinking I would work on mainframe computers for the government. Most would think its boring but I try to find the good in it.

Maya & Inka's mommy
12-30-2007, 02:17 PM
NO doubt about that: the job I love!!! I always wanted to teach, nothing else

kuhio98
12-30-2007, 02:38 PM
Just curious...those of you who say a job is just a job in order to pay for things...would you want a vet looking after your animals who considered it "just a job"? Who wasn't concerned with being fullfilled by the job? Or a doctor who sees it as what they do rather than what they are?

No value judgement...just a question.....No, I wouldn't want a vet like that. When I was studying medicine, I realized that even though I cared for people, I didn't want the focus of my life to be my profession. And to be in the medical field, you better focus or the results could be disastrous.

catnapper
12-30-2007, 04:40 PM
I used to work at a place where I was totally miserable. You cold have paid me a million dollars and it still wouldn't have been ample compensation. I used to drive an hour and half to a job I LOVED and I never minded the commute until the business was sold to a new owner who turned it into a job I hated.

I am now working in a place where I am thriving. I cannot express how much I love this job. I sorely wish I was making more money. I have no doubt I WILL make more money if the new owners make good on their promises (I really think they will :)) I have recently had an opportunity to more than double my salary with a competitor and decided my job is too perfect for me. I go there and feel safe. I feel at home. No way would I trade that in so I could buy new shoes or new car, etc. Inner peace and happiness is worth more than what you find in your bank statement each month.

Suki Wingy
12-31-2007, 01:30 AM
I know that I could never be happy unless I enjoyed my job. :)

Kalei
12-31-2007, 07:16 AM
That one was a toughy, but when thinking about it, I would rather do something I love and make less money than hate my job. Jobs I hate I usually don't hold on to for long.

chocolatepuppy
12-31-2007, 07:53 AM
Inner peace and happiness is worth more than what you find in your bank statement each month.

Amen to that! When we leave this earth we aren't taking anything with us, so happiness is more important to me than money. ;)
That being said, I don't mind my job, I could make more money, but at what costs? I used to drive 25 miles into the snowbelt, now I'm 1.3 miles from my job. I have decent health insurance which if hubby or I got sick might be worth more than money. Also, I can come home for lunch, a Godsend with puppies or sick cats or dogs who need medicated or checked on. :)