PDA

View Full Version : hamster help

RosaLee
12-28-2007, 06:03 PM
hi, i got a new hamster for christmas and he keeps gnawing on the bars of his cage? is this normal if not how do i stop it?

thanks Lauren

IRescue452
12-28-2007, 06:54 PM
They love to chew on their bars, and escape if they can. One reason I prefer solid cages over bars. Another when the coating is chewed off the bars and they start to corrode, I hate that.

Muddy4paws
12-28-2007, 06:57 PM
Has she got stuff to chew on? If you go into the petshops they sell wooden toys for hamsters to gnaw on.

Genny
12-28-2007, 11:50 PM
hamsters love to chew on things; it sounds like he just needs some new toys to play with ;)

Christmas_Hamster
12-29-2007, 01:18 AM
Chewing can mean several things. He/she may be bored, may have nothing to chew, may want out, or may be trying to get your attention.

So does he/she have a wheel that they can fit in and that has a solid surface? Do they have other toys to play with? Do they have extra space to just run around with?

Does he/she have somethign to chew? Milk bones like for dogs, are a great thing to give them as they usually love them.

Does your hamster get enough time out of the cage? Have you tryed handling him/her yet?

You can put lemon juice on the bars as he/she will not like the taste. ;)

RosaLee
12-29-2007, 04:28 AM
thanks for the advice :) my mum has gone to the pet shop to get more chewing things and an exercise ball, i stroke him whilst he is in the cage and today i am going to try and handle him wish me luck :)