View Full Version : does your cat play fetch?

giztig2crazy
08-13-2002, 03:48 AM
is it wierd that my cat plays fetch? my dog doesnt play anything but my cat plays with mice and fetch and some other things. :D its soo funny to watch him play.

KittyKats10
08-14-2002, 03:38 PM
ummm i dont think its weird but cats dont really play fetch alot :eek:

Vi Co Bi
08-19-2002, 10:15 PM
I had a foster that would play fetch. We used to say he was our dog until we got a real one.

His favorite practical joke to play on people was to get them started playing fetch, then he'd sorta disappear with the paperwad for a while. All of a sudden he'd come back with it and drop it at our feet, ready to play again. When we'd pick it up, we'd be grabbing a handful of soggy paper. I swear there were times I heard him giggle. After a while we learned to use paper that didn't soak up so much water.

He also liked to sit and watch ice cubes melt in the water dish. Ever so often he'd bop one of them with his paw and watch the water. We always wondered what was going on in his head - was he contemplating the molecular changes taking place in his water dish or was he waiting for the ice to melt so the cubes wouldn't hit his nose? Or was it another practical joke he was playing on us - what was stupider than a cat watching ice melt? Human watching a cat who's watching ice melt.

C.C.'s Mom
08-20-2002, 12:02 AM
Mine never do. They're too busy sleeping. Rudie occasionally hits some of the dogs toys, but only if he thinks we're not looking.

AmberLee
08-20-2002, 12:38 AM
Sometimes ... when he feels like it. Favorite things to fetch: milk jug rings, crumpled papers, foam rubber balls ...

Soledad
08-29-2002, 07:09 PM
My cat loves to play with the clear caps that come off of water bottles. He totes them around in his mouth and stashes them in various places so I don't take them away at night (they can be loud!). Anyways, he'll hold it in his mouth and then sort of throw it and catch it and bring it back to his original location. This is about the time my husband and I cower in fear of "psychokitty".

Former User
08-30-2002, 04:44 AM
Casper plays fetch with a rope and mice :D

Pam
08-30-2002, 05:51 AM
I have a friend whose Siamese would play fetch with her husband's balled up pack of cigarettes (after they were empty of course :) ) She would drop it at his feet just like a dog and then sit and wait for him to throw it. Too cute!

AvaJoy
08-30-2002, 11:31 PM
None of my 5 cats will fetch, but years ago I had a kitty that would chase after aluminum foil balls and furry mice. She would drop them at the feet of each person in turn, so everyone in the room could participate in throwing the toy for her to retrieve. She was a very considerate and gracious hostess, making all who visited feel welcome!:)

Stripeycat
08-31-2002, 11:22 PM
One of my cats will play fetch for hours if you will play with him and the other one is "much too sophisticated" for anything like that!!!

Stripey loves the rings that are around juice bottles the best - light enough to carry around in his mouth anf easy to throw if nobody will do it for him.

Mr Bibbs just lays there and watches everything as if to say "Oh please! Not again!"

AmberLee
09-01-2002, 01:01 AM
Welcome to Pet Talk, StripyCat. Hope you'll enjoy it here as I have. Like you, I have two cats who vary on how they feel about retrieving. Cassy (usually) loves it and will play for hours. Livvy appears to find it 'beneath' her dignity. LOL. Tell us more about your sweeties, please.

Stripeycat
09-02-2002, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the welcome AmberLee!

Stripey came from a litter that a friend's cat had and Mr Bibbs was a stray that started appearing at our back door. We had to trap him with the vet's cage/trap to get him to get his shots and neutering done. He was so afraid of people - NOW he waltzes right into the house and plops himself down on the rug.

I have always been a cat person but not my husband. It took Stripey exactly 3 days to win Dan over - have him heating up the food in the microwave to "take the chill off it" and he sleeps cuddled up to Dan at night. That cat knew who to butter up!

Stripeycat
09-02-2002, 08:31 PM
http://f.bb.bbboy.net/mysticdreamz/2cats&mouse.jpg

This is Mr Bibbs (the big one) and Stripey with a mouse in his mouth

AmberLee
09-02-2002, 10:31 PM
What beautiful boys you have. And don't they look intent on their own activities.

I hope to see more photos of your boys in the future. (I've taken some of Cassy and Livvy recently, but haven't remembered to get them processed... Baaad memoried Meow-my!) Here are my two from this last spring. (Cassy is the silver male; Livvy the brown female)

Stripeycat
09-03-2002, 10:29 PM
They are adorable!! And I am VERY familiar with "the look" Cassie is giving you! I have seen those eyes staring intently at whatever I happen to be eating!

There is a third cat that comes around every couple of days to snack from Mr Bibbs' bowl but I think he belongs to someone & I haven't tried to capture him yet. No collar but that doesn't mean he's not owned.

Mr Bibbs' neck is so fat that we ended up putting a dog's leather collar with spikes on it around it - he is so proud of that collar too! From the day we put it on him he seemed to hold his head up higher and strut! Like he finally belonged to someone. Such a baby!

mylunalove
09-09-2002, 11:36 PM
Luna loves to play fetch!
BTW I love your quote!
Cats have Staffs! very funny, with a lot of truth to it!:D :D

peace

I_love_cats
09-17-2002, 02:48 PM
Only my female cat, the tortie plays fetch. She like when I crumble a choclate wrapper and throw it. She would chase after it and bring it back. She could play for hours.

fireteddy
09-23-2002, 02:19 AM
my cat loves to play fetch, he will do it with crumpled up paper, but the best is the tinfoil wrappers from a wendy's burger, since it has the beef smell on it, and he goes wild for that.

fireteddy

jenluckenbach
10-05-2002, 06:58 PM
My first cat Brighteyes, used to play fetch with the little plastic circle that is left after a roll of scotch tape is finished. When she'd pick it up, her little nose would be right in the center of the circle. She'd bring it to you whenever she felt like playing and drop it in front of you. If you ignored her, she'd pick it back up and drop it again.
Of the cats I have now I have 2 fetchers. Jasper, the black DLH and Sterling the silver tabby. They prefer to fetch a "sparkle ball' The toys that look like they are made of christmas garland. Although, Strling also has a few catnip filled stockings and pillows that he'll fetch. But only certain ones. (very particular).. Here was the problem, whe Sterling was a kitten his favorite time to play fetch was in the Wee hours of the morning while you tried to sleep. And he was persistant, dropping it right on your face!!

Vio&Juni
10-08-2002, 08:34 AM
Juni plays fetch TOOOOO much.
Sometimes she just wouldn't stop:eek: I have to hide the whatever toy she's fond of at that moment.

Vio&Juni
10-08-2002, 08:39 AM
I decided to come back at attach a picture of her. I couldn't get a pciture of her with the toy in her mouth, the camera is a little slow, but by her position, you can understand how enthousiastic she is about it.
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/vcasian/vwp?.dir=/Pets&.src=ph&.dnm=Tough.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/vcasian/lst%3f%26.dir=/Pets%26.src=ph%26.view=t

wolflady
10-08-2002, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by fireteddy
my cat loves to play fetch, he will do it with crumpled up paper, but the best is the tinfoil wrappers from a wendy's burger, since it has the beef smell on it, and he goes wild for that.

fireteddy

LOL LOL I'll have to try this! Our boy Scooter will play fetch, and did quite a lot when he was but a wee little youngster. His preferred thing to fetch was plain wabbed up tinfoil balls...I bet burger wrappers would be even better! :D

I_love_cats
01-30-2003, 10:24 PM
Cats can play fetch, maybe not often as dogs do but my female kitty plays fetch with chocolate wrappers. My two male cats do play fetch, they like to play by themselves. She can go on for hours and when she wants to play, she would meow to us. It is soo funny to see her play fetch.

boscibo
01-31-2003, 01:49 PM
Hanna fetches - Here's a link (http://home.attbi.com/~model_horses/hanna_fetch.WMV) to a movie file ( ~70 kb, Windows media format). It doesn't show me throwing it, but it shows her bringing back to me. Sometimes she will even drop the toy right in my hand so I can throw it again.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-31-2003, 01:51 PM
Awww...how cute! You can even hear the little bell jingling. :D

My brother just got a digital camera that takes short videos. I'm thinking I'm going to have to get one of those. But then I'm going to have to get a kitten because how exciting would it be to see a video of T & P sleeping. :rolleyes: :D

AmberLee
01-31-2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
...because how exciting would it be to see a video of T & P sleeping. ...

Oh, oh, oh! Tubby! Peanut! SLEEPING!!! I'll watch!!! WOW!!!

(Possibly I need to get more sleep myself...) :D

JillLovesMinnie14yrs
02-01-2003, 04:43 PM
OMG HANNA IS THE CUTEST WITTLE KITTEN !!! I can hear her little bells a jingling as well. I played it over about 5 times in a row for maximum cuteness :p How old is that little creampuff anyway??

YES they do!!! 4 out of my 7 fetch. Boo Boo fetches small mice toys and the rings from plastic soda/juice containers. Cupcake fetches toy mice and catnip pillows. Veronica fetches toy mice, and Mitts fetches the plastic rings as well. 4 out of 7 cats agree, fetching is quite the sport!! :D Thanks *SO* much for the video Hanna's Mommy!!!!

todd
02-01-2003, 08:01 PM
yes

JillLovesMinnie14yrs
02-02-2003, 12:03 PM
I passed that link along to a few others who went nuts over hanna :p

kimlovescats
02-02-2003, 04:43 PM
My Harper LOVES to play fetch ... he will even bring the mousie back and drop it in my hand!

I shot this picture on his way back to me for more! ;) http://mystorage.homestead.com/files/HarperMousey121902.JPG

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-03-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by kimlovescats

I shot this picture on his way back to me for more! ;) http://mystorage.homestead.com/files/HarperMousey121902.JPG

Awww....what a cutie Harper is! He looks like a real hunter there with the mouse in his mouth. :D

snowpw
02-03-2003, 03:54 PM
My kitty fetches his toy(broken) mouse whenever he feels like it :D :D :D:D

SANDY FROST
02-17-2003, 01:56 AM
Our Bengals LUV to play fetch the mousies and fetch the pipcleaners.
If we don't play fetch with them. They will either poke us with their paws or bring the object right to us and drop it right in our laps.
Sandy Frost
:D

RussianBlueKitty03
02-17-2003, 06:31 AM
HHA AHAHAHA !!! My cat playing fetch!?!?!?! NO way! :D Sometimes I tie her toy mouse to this string that is really long and then I go to the top of the stairs and she stays at the bottom and then I keep throwing it down there and she chases it but doesn't nessacirly bring it back up to me. Thats why I have the ribbon! Then when I want to pull it back up, I can.

Jessica12345
02-19-2003, 05:45 PM
my old cat did:D :( ;)

Vio&Juni
02-20-2003, 05:08 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid43/p9f2baef5d1397d1f9c9233a4c4d73ba3/fcea51da.jpg

Steffi N
02-27-2003, 07:20 PM
Lovable plays fetch, I do have little lattice balls for him, but he currently purrfers rubber bands. He'll bring one to me for me to throw. Cloud, his mom in Ohio, is a fetcher too.