PDA

View Full Version : Strange EGG related question...

Christiansmommy
12-27-2007, 03:28 PM
OK...so this may be kind of a strange question to ask, but I thought I ask and see what the majority thought.

I made pumpkin pie the night before Christmas, to serve on Christmas day...it was a double recipe...that would make 2 pies. So I only had 1 crust made and time to make 1 pie...so I put the rest of the already mixed pumpkin pie ingredients/mixture in the fridge to make a pie out of the next day, but I never got around to it. So that leads me to my question...

Since there is egg in the pie filling (although it has been refridgerated since Monday night)...would be OK to still make the pie? OR do I just throw it out and buy a new can of the pie filling, add fresh eggs, spices, etc????

The reason I am unsure is, b/c eggs can sit in the fridge (in their shells) for an extended period of time.. and still be completely edible and safe to eat, obviously....but does it make a difference that the eggs are already mixed into this filling out of their shells since Monday night???? BTW, the eggs are still within their expiration date on the carton....anyway...what do YOU think? What would you do?? Thanks!!!!

Cookiebaker
12-27-2007, 03:35 PM
Hmmm, I'm not sure what to tell you but my way of thinking is always be safe. Once the egg is cracked open, it is open to bacteria to grow. Now, obviously you would be cooking the pie to kill any bacteria, but I personally would play it safe and start over. But again, that's just me. ;)

Vela
12-27-2007, 03:53 PM
You can make the pie and it will be fine. Many recipes in cooking are made days before, including those with eggs, and part of the process for some of those it to leave it to chill for a day or two, I think it'd be fine but up to you.

Freedom
12-27-2007, 03:55 PM
Make it! I'l be right over to taste test it for you. If I am still here next week, then it was fine!

Logan
12-27-2007, 07:12 PM
Robyn, I would probably cook the pie today and not worry about it. I don't think I'd use it past tomorrow, though, and I have no idea of my reasoning! :o

Rachel
12-27-2007, 08:31 PM
When you're in doubt - throw it out. Not necessarily because it will be bad, but you'll never really enjoy it if you aren't sure.

Craftlady
12-27-2007, 08:59 PM
I would throw it out and start over.
Better safe than sorry.

jennielynn1970
12-29-2007, 04:35 AM
So, what did you do???

I would have cooked it. Given it to neighbors I didn't like (like the one who peed on the other neighbor's porchsteps) and see how it goes. If he falls over, one less annnoying neighbor. If he's fine, you know it's ok to eat, and just remember to let the next batch in the fridge (or out of the fridge) a bit longer next time before you try it on annoying neighbors. :p

Pam
12-29-2007, 06:43 AM
Christiansmommy's mom here! I talked to her yesterday and she threw it out. She bought all new stuff and will be bringing it over today. My son spent Christmas away at his new in-law's house with his new bride in northwestern Pennsylvania :) so we have waited to all be together to celebrate Christmas. One of Robyn's contributions to our meal today is the pie. :) I think I will enjoy it better knowing that it has all brand new ingredients. :)

Maya & Inka's mommy
12-29-2007, 07:17 AM
So, what did you do???

I would have cooked it. Given it to neighbors I didn't like (like the one who peed on the other neighbor's porchsteps) and see how it goes. If he falls over, one less annnoying neighbor. If he's fine, you know it's ok to eat, and just remember to let the next batch in the fridge (or out of the fridge) a bit longer next time before you try it on annoying neighbors. :p

Thanks for the good laugh!! I just cannot stop giggling ;) :)

Christiansmommy
12-29-2007, 10:33 AM
Sorry for not replying sooner. Our internet was down. Yep, I threw it out, and made new. I bought a graham cracker crust this time for something different :) Should be good!!

Thanks for the replies and advice!! :)