PDA

View Full Version : Personal experiences with OES?

Suki Wingy
12-27-2007, 03:52 AM
(Old English Sheepdogs)

I'm just curious because I've been attracted to the breed for a while now.
Only thing is I'd be so worried I wouldn't be able to keep up the grooming.

wolf_Q
12-27-2007, 10:34 AM
We have one at work that comes in to be groomed. I've groomed a couple of others but she's the only one that comes in on a semi-regular basis (usually about every 2-4 months I think). We all LOVE this dog, she's so sweet and incredibly smart. She comes in and jumps right on the table like, "Ok I'm here, lets get started!" The grooming is hard to keep up on though, she gets really matted very easily. Usually we shave her about 1/4-1/2 inch then the next few times she comes in for just a bath and brush until she grows out more, then she gets matted so she needs a shave again. If you intended to keep one in a full coat they would need to be brushed every day, or at least a few times a week.

Flatcoatluver
12-27-2007, 11:08 AM
I know 2. They are wonderful! There sweet, cuddly, and kiss you so much! Just remember there a herding breed. My obedience trainer owns them, but the dog still herds her once in a while doing the "get around" move.

animal_rescue
12-27-2007, 01:59 PM
We had one at the HS once and oh my goodness he was the most absolute cutest and sweetest dog ever! Everyone of the staff fell in love with him immediately and all he wanted to do was get petted and play fetch. He really was such a goofy guy.

Suki Wingy
12-27-2007, 02:05 PM
Good to know for the future. There are several breeds I'd love to have but the grooming is something that'd be stopping me.

bethh
02-10-2008, 10:41 PM
I have 2 and luv them. The grooming is a weekly thing. My male luvs it, My females does not like her legs done at all and I shave her every 8 months.

bckrazy
02-11-2008, 01:52 AM
The OES's I have met have all been very friendly, goofy, sweet dogs. I love the breed, too... but I am SO not into the coat maintanence that they require.

They most certaintly are a herding breed, and do require a higher than average amount of physical and mental exercise, to be happy. I have seen lots of overweight OES's (and, no, it wasn't just the poofy fur), which is sad, because they should be very athletic.

bethh
02-11-2008, 06:41 PM
thats why you get 2 they exercise each other :D Just kidding... ours are real good but they are young we walk them daily plus they have a large yard. As for grooming I usually due it after 9 at nite. While watching tv. Very relaxing... once we are all settled for the nite. They can go very nutting when people come over... ours finally quite down after 5. OR a nice bone with peanut butter on it :rolleyes: once they are done that the just come a lay down.

cassiesmom
02-12-2008, 02:52 PM
Did you hear what the commentator on the Westminster show said last night? He was speaking to the owner of an OES about grooming. The owner said he had been asked how many minutes a day he spent grooming his dog. His answer: "All of them."

When I was little we had friends who had one. She was a big, goofy, gentle giant with a very happy spirit.

Suki Wingy
02-12-2008, 09:59 PM
I didn't catch that part. :) I came in half way through the herding group.

flipgirl
02-20-2008, 08:42 PM
I have wanted an OES ever since I was in grade one! My first grade reader was about one named Mr. Mugs. When I get a house with a yard, I will get one!! Meanwhile, I'm practicing the grooming part with my little shih-tzu x bichon...kind of a mini OES! From all the posts, I would choose the OES! Grooming schmooming....

Suki Wingy
03-28-2008, 11:06 AM
I met another one last night. He had gorgeous brown eyes and was happy to run around in the snow while there was live music and lots of people.
I'm starting to love this breed more and more. The funny thing is I was first "introduced" to them through Chitty Chitty Bang Bang's Edison. :D

lute
03-28-2008, 06:39 PM
The only OES I have seen have been at dog shows. I don't know much about the breed other than every time I see one I only see HAIR!!!