PDA

View Full Version : "Womanspeak" - explained by a man

Catty1
12-26-2007, 02:31 PM
Hi, there:

I copied this from an internet group I am on - this woman and her husband were having a lot of laughs on Christmas Day, as they had a 'deal' that she would ask for help not using "Womanspeak". In response to the questions from forum members (mostly female), her husband wrote an essay to explain Womanspeak - and please note, he knows that this is a natural form of expression for women, and honest.

Share it with a good friend or S/O, and see what they think!

Best in the New Year,
Candace

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ********

Womanspeak

A Sergeant can give a Private orders, all day, every day. A boss can give an employee an order, if it deals with work, and nobody gives it
a second thought. A small child cannot give a parent orders, or at least that was true when I was growing up. The nature of an order is
the implied message, "If you do not obey, I can make you wish you had." It is that implied threat which makes all orders inherently
hostile, and which accounts for the resentment that builds up in people who are ordered around a lot. In songs ("Take This Job And
Shove It"), in specialty verbs ("to frag"), and in dozens of other ways, experience shows that there is a cost involved in giving orders,
even if it is only having to pay the employee his wages. At some level, everyone knows this, so it is not surprising that in good
marriages, the language of command is rarely heard.

But the urge to command is deeply embedded in human nature. In men it finds expression, or it doesn't; that is not our subject. Briefly put,
our subject is this: How does a woman get her way, if the language of command is too costly to use?

The honest (as men see it) alternative to a command is a request, but that too comes at a price: if you are forever making requests, you
come across as needy, a user. And, of course, the other person may try to balance the scales by making requests of his own, which defeats the
goal of getting your way. What to do? The answer, all too often, is Womanspeak. Not a command, and not a request, Womanspeak says "B" but
expects—even demands—to be understood as meaning "A".

Sometimes it looks like a question, as in the title of a recent book on mother-daughter communication: "You're Wearing That?". Depending on
inflection, that phrase may be a comment, a suggestion, or a command. It is not, however, a question. Used on children, Womanspeak almost
always disguises itself as a question, but every child learns early on not to answer it. "Don't you think you need a sweater?" is not asking
for a child's opinion; it is giving the child an order. Sometimes it looks like mere information, such as, "I'm cold." The hidden subtext, though, is a command: Turn up the heat.

However it is disguised, men see Womanspeak as dishonest--a ploy to give an order without paying the price--or, what is worse, a form of
manipulation. Men really resent manipulation, but we learn early on not to say so. Women don't believe they are being manipulative, and
get testy when told otherwise. After all, when they use Womanspeak, they think they are being diplomatic. And anyway, it is how their mothers talked to them, wasn't it? Yes, and it is how mothers talked to their sons, too, and we didn't like it then, either.

Probably Womanspeak dates back to the days when, as Blackstone said in his Commentaries on the Common Law, the husband and wife were legally one person, and that person was the husband. Back then, it served a useful purpose: it gave a voice to people who had none other. But
those days are past. The largest impact Womanspeak has today is that it encourages men to think what they dare not say, and no relationship
benefits from that, in the long run. At least that's what I think.

R*****

Catty1
12-27-2007, 11:23 AM
I read R's email on Womanspeak and it resonated with me. As a woman, I have been a victim of a legacy of Womanspeak in my marriage. In my family, there was no Womanspeak. My parents taught us to "say what you mean, and mean what you say." It seemed normal and logical to me, and as far as I knew, every family was like mine.

When I got married, I was constantly surprised and hurt when my husband would react to some innocent comment I made as if I had actually said something different. (For example, if I say "I'm cold." I really just mean that I'm cold. Nothing more. Nothing less. I don't mean for someone else to fix it.) He would react angrily and defensively to the most innocent statements. I was often hurt and had no idea what was going on. It got to the point that after I would say something and he would snap a reply at me, I would ask, "What did you hear me say ?"

After 20 years of marriage, we've gotten better at communicating, but the toxic legacy of Womanspeak laced with guilt from his mother as he was growing up had a very detrimental effect on our young marriage. Since I had no experience with Womanspeak, it took years just to figure out what was going on. It has also taken years for my husband to trust that I really do mean just what I say. Reading R's message makes me realize perhaps my dear husband's family is the rule, and mine was the exception.

Ladies, please realize what a huge impact we have on our children and their future families. I have not taught my children Womanspeak, but perhaps I should let them know such a language exists so they won't be so surprised if they encounter it in their adult lives.

Thank you for all that you do...
************************************************** ************************************************** *************
Marla and Paddi say that I should give examples of Womanspeak. Okay, by categories, here goes:

One very common category is the question that cannot be answered (because it isn't really a question). For example:

1. WOMANSPEAK: You're not wearing that to the restaurant, are you? [If he's not, why does he have it on?]

HONEST VERSION: I think you should change clothes.

2. WOMANSPEAK: Don't you think you should ______________? [What kind of moron would be doing whatever-it-is, if he really thought he should be doing something different?]

HONEST VERSION: I think you should be doing _______(what you really want them to do)They can't read your mind.

3. Do we have time for me to ________________? [This example is an especially subtle form of Womanspeak, since it actually is asking a question, just not the question that is spoken aloud. The real
question is, "Do you mind if we make a side-trip, or put off leaving, or whatever, even though we're already up against our deadline?"]

Another common ploy is to shift needs. For example:

4. WOMANSPEAK: The garbage needs to be taken out. [Garbage does not have needs. People have needs. You need for him to take out the garbage.]

HONEST VERSION: Please, take out the garbage.

5. WOMANSPEAK: The car needs to be washed.

HONEST VERSION; Would you please wash the car.

6. WOMANSPEAK: You need to slow down. [No, you need for him to slow down.]

HONEST VERSION: I'm scared, would you please slow down.

And, of course, the classic:

WOMANSPEAK: I'm cold. [You know what that means.]

HONEST VERSION: Please turn up the heat.

If you want to read more about what our guys are thinking then go to our HeyTom website. They answer your questions.

http://www.heytom.net/