PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have problems w/Overstock. com?

Medusa
12-26-2007, 07:30 AM
A month ago, I ordered a gift card for my son because he shops w/them frequently. When I hadn't received the card w/in a week or so, I investigated. I should've had it overnighted so that I could track it but I didn't know that they just drop it in the mail so that it can't be tracked. First, Customer Service was closed! At the height of the holiday season! So I had to chat online and they assured me that it was in transit. I told them "Why don't you have it posted on your website that you don't offer a way to track gift cards?" Long story short, I followed up w/3 phone calls and 7 emails, to no avail. His gift card never arrived. To add insult to injury, I got another email from them stating that they believe that they have resolved this situation to your satisfaction. I wrote back "Really? How do you figure? I never got the gift card!" Now they're not answering at all. If I had made the purchase on a credit card, I'd just stop the transaction but I put it on my debit card because I didn't want to use credit cards during the holidays; I only wanted to pay cash. I'm just furious w/them! What if this had been the only gift I could've afforded for my son? His holiday would've been spoiled. Has anyone else had bad luck w/them? Btw, they're now not even offering gift cards any more, so I think they may have taken my money, knowing full well that they aren't offering them.

trayi52
12-26-2007, 07:41 AM
The problem I have had with them is it takes so darn long to receive your order. Then, when you want to return it, it is a fight to get your money back! I just don't want to do business with them again. Too much of a hassel!

Willie :)

catnapper
12-26-2007, 08:09 AM
I won't go there simply because they put some serious spyware on your computer. Go ahead, run a spyware scan after you visit overstock.com and then check the serious threats.... overstock will be one of them.

jennielynn1970
12-26-2007, 06:11 PM
I bought my leather sofa and loveseat from them, thinking it was a great deal. Yeah.... not so great deal. I loved the $2 shipping, but when the sofa and loveseat arrived and didn't look the way they did online, and I wanted to return them, they told me that the shipping to return them would cost me $675.00, not the $2.00 that I originally paid. I don't think that's fair.. if you paid only so much for shipping, that's what it should be for the return shipping in my eyes. They off the deal, they should stick to it.

Needless to say I kept the furniture, becuase I wasn't going to pay almost half as much for the shipping as I did for the furniture. Have never shopped with them since.

kitten645
12-26-2007, 07:21 PM
I haven't shopped with Overstock.com but I'm very selective about who I deal with. Too many "invisible" faces and no personal contact worry me especially with large purchases...Shopping is a contact sport IMHO. As far as gift cards go, I love them but it seems they were rolled out WAY too fast without thought to some of the implications. I heard today that some Walmart cards aren't working across the nation! Thats a biggie! I make sure to hold on to all of my reciepts when buying gift cards just in case.
As far as shipping goes, that's another reason I'm pretty careful who I deal with online. I check their policies carefully and only deal with companies that offer UPS call tags or the equivelent. I'm a bit cynical about retail (having been in it all my life). Nothing is truly free and if it seems too good to be true...IT IS! LOL. Hey everyone's got to make money to survive. You can be sure that "free shipping" is built into the price somewhere!

Freedom
12-26-2007, 07:37 PM
well, Mary, not to hijack your thread, bu I thought I"d add something I've learned.

I like to shop ebay. I use PayPal. When you set it up, you HAVE to set it up to debit your bank account. You MAY add a credit card. DO THAT.

Each time you make a purchase, you go to PayPal and it is automatically set to debit your bank account. You MUST change the payment method to your credit card. DO THAT.

I had a problem with one purchase last year; it never showed and the Seller stopped replying to emails. If I had to contest it through PayPal, THEY CHARGE YOU 10% OF THE VALUE YOU PAID; whether you ultimately recover any funds or not.

My credit card company handles challenges for FREE. Gee, was I glad I used my credit card! It is a nuisance changing it on each purchase, but I gladly go through the extra steps / clicks to change the payment to my credit card each time.

Medusa
12-26-2007, 09:00 PM
Shopping online used to be so simple and easy. It's the way I've done most of my shopping for years, especially Xmas shopping. My son swears that he's had nothing but success w/them but they turned me against them for good. I agree w/someone's comment on Free Shipping. It's definitely built into the price of the item. I just recently purchased new leather furniture at Sofa Express before they announced that they had filed for Chapter 11. I got in just under the wire. I had custom ordered furniture and it was finally delivered, after much aggravation and delay, the day before they stopped all deliveries and writing checks. I feel bad for people who put deposits on furniture that they'll never receive and they won't get their deposit refunded either. Of course, I didn't buy from Sofa Express online but I'm just saying that I've had enough grief this holiday season to last me for a while, that's for sure. Oh, btw, my son's gift card finally came in the mail today, the day after Xmas. Nice. :mad:

AmberLee
12-26-2007, 09:28 PM
...Oh, btw, my son's gift card finally came in the mail today, the day after Xmas. ...

How aggrevating for you! At least it came in, I'm sure your son will love it even if it is late... :rolleyes:

Medusa
12-27-2007, 07:28 AM
Yes, thank goodness it was a stocking stuffer and not one of the main gifts.