PDA

View Full Version : Auto Remote Starts??

jennielynn1970
12-26-2007, 12:12 AM
Anyone have and use any of these on their vehicles?? I'm looking into whether it would be something for my car, I just don't know if they cost of installing it and all the bypasses needed because my car is new, that it's going to be worth it. I have a 2007 Nissa Versa, and it has remote keyless entry, keyless ignition (not push button, but you can turn the ignition w/out putting the key in the ignition, it just has to be on your somewhere).

My mom and dad offered to do this for me for my birthday coming up in 2 weeks, all the shops are quoting $400 minimum, and to me, that's a lot for being able to start your car a few minutes early, which if you are like me and are normally running late, can be helpful, but still.... $400?! One store quoted me almost $800 because of bypasses, and it only came with a security system for the type of car I have. Even Nissan doesn't make one for the Versa yet.

Anyone out there use these and thing they are actually WORTH $400 and up?? :confused:

Cinder & Smoke
12-26-2007, 04:54 AM
One store quoted me almost $800 because of bypasses ...

Even Nissan doesn't make one for the Versa yet.

:eek:

You need to be VERY careful if you have ANYone "modify" the Factory wiring on
any "late model" car (anything from about 2000 and newer).

"Modifying" the wiring to install alarms or remote starts is usually considered an
"unauthorized tampering" with the Factory wiring, and instantly VOIDS ALL long-term warranties
that the manufacturer is required to provide on all "newer" cars ...
Things like:
* Emissions warranties
* Safety recalls
* Even "defect" recalls can be voided

The aftermarket guys will never "admit" that their modifications can be a problem;
but the Auto Dealers uses aftermarket alarms & remote starts to deny warranty coverage
every chance they get. :(

/s/ Phred

catnapper
12-26-2007, 08:16 AM
Considering your new car, I wouldn't do it. You could seriously void a ton of warranties, which is the main reason why we'd buy a brand new car if we were to get a car.

gemini9961
12-26-2007, 11:53 AM
My car (2006 Chevy HHR) came with it and I rarely use it. I live in FL so heating up the car ahead of time is not really necessary. I agree with those who said be careful with blowing any warranty on the car with after market additions.

GiantSchnauzer
12-26-2007, 04:16 PM
I had one in my last truck and loved it. I used it for both winter(heat) and summer(A/C) I've yet to get one installed in my current truck. My advice is shop around. Ask around about reputable installers in your area. Most shops will stand behind their installs. I paid about $300 for the system on my last truck. So, $400 isn't that far off considering the ignition you have in your car.

A note on warranties...You cannot be denied coverage by simply having an aftermarket part in your vehicle. If anything goes wrong they MUST be able prove that the aftermarket part caused the problem.
http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=60128
Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act)

Glacier
12-26-2007, 06:49 PM
I was going to get one, until the only mechanic I've ever trusted told me he'd never work on my truck again. He refuses to work on any vehicle with an automatic starter after watching his co-worker loose several fingers when one started unexpectedly while the vehicle was in for an unrelated problem.

jennielynn1970
12-27-2007, 09:22 PM
I'm just so surprised they cost so much... plus, with all the adjustments they'd have to make and comments like "Well, if we did it that way, then anyone could open your car and just drive it off" , it doesn't make me feel too secure getting one, lol.

I told my mom and dad to just save the money and buy me some of those hand warmers that you can get at Cabela's and stuff, and I'll put them on my car seat and stay warm that way. Dad's comment... "They don't make them big enough to fit your butt." Nice.... thanks Dad! :rolleyes:

Karen
12-27-2007, 10:27 PM
I'm just so surprised they cost so much... plus, with all the adjustments they'd have to make and comments like "Well, if we did it that way, then anyone could open your car and just drive it off" , it doesn't make me feel too secure getting one, lol.

I told my mom and dad to just save the money and buy me some of those hand warmers that you can get at Cabela's and stuff, and I'll put them on my car seat and stay warm that way. Dad's comment... "They don't make them big enough to fit your butt." Nice.... thanks Dad! :rolleyes:

Well, tell him he should get you a large dog - let dog into car, dog will almost always try to assume the driver's seat. leave dog in car for five munites, the seat will be nice and warm ... then you just have to try to persuade the dog to then surrender the driver's seat!

jennielynn1970
12-29-2007, 04:29 AM
OOOH... now that would be a good excuse to get that dog that I want, lol. I think a Rottie would warm up that seat really well!! Sigh.... maybe one of these days! :rolleyes:

Freedom
12-29-2007, 08:32 AM
If the manufacturer doesn't even OFFER one for that car, I would hesitate.
Once the manufacturer makes one, the other guys develop off of that, so it is easier to install and more likely not to interfere with things.

Just run out, start the car, run back in, finish getting ready, then go out and leave.

How long does it take for the engine to warm up and give you heat in the cabin? Dad's Jeep has heat in about three minutes but my Honda takes 8 minutes to throw off any heat. :rolleyes: I've been known to run out in slippers to start my Honda. :eek:

Blue_Frog
12-29-2007, 10:59 AM
When i bought my escape from the ford dealership, they had a deal where they would put on a new auto starter for me. However, on and off it interferes with my cars' ability to recognize the 'unlock' on the keyfob, and so doesn't turn off the passive antitheft. In short, the vechicle will not start if the antitheft does not disengage. It only happens for a few hours at a time, but at first it was enough to really worry me.

I had my vechicle towed (under warranty) back to the dealership the first time it happened and the ford 800 number didn't know what the problem was, and by the time it got there, the unlock worked again. This unlock shenanigans happened a few times, until i finally got sick of it and took it to a Ford Special Vechicles group to have it taken off... only to be told by the service manager that there was an override button hidden under the dash that would disable the auto starter, and allow the passive antitheft engine cutoff to be bypassed. I think i dropped the F word several times.

The auto starter also made it so that if i just want to use the key to unlock the door and start the car (and not the fob), i have to press the override button first. With the auto starter, i otherwise have to press the unlock on the fob to start the car normally.

The long and the short -- if you get one put on, get them to show you where the override is just in case something goes wahonnie shaped. There will be an override somewhere, and the installer should know where it is.

jennielynn1970
12-29-2007, 12:11 PM
BlueFrog.... so you actually have to go out to your car, unlock it, hit the override button, and then do the remote start??? Doesn't that kind of take away from the "remote" part of it?? That part I would not like. I thought that it would start remotely, meaning from inside where it's toasty and warm, and then you go out and get in.

Also, Freedom... in my neighborhood, you don't leave anything unlocked and running. Unless you want to give it away... I don't even leave my trunk open to unload the groceries. :(

Blue_Frog
12-29-2007, 10:12 PM
BlueFrog.... so you actually have to go out to your car, unlock it, hit the override button, and then do the remote start??? Doesn't that kind of take away from the "remote" part of it?? That part I would not like. I thought that it would start remotely, meaning from inside where it's toasty and warm, and then you go out and get in.

Also, Freedom... in my neighborhood, you don't leave anything unlocked and running. Unless you want to give it away... I don't even leave my trunk open to unload the groceries. :(\

lol ... no, its not as bad as that ;) I can start my car with the starter about 98% of the time with no problem. I can use the fob to unlock my car the same amount of time with no problem either. The other 2% of the time, the auto starter interferes with my fob disabling my passive antitheft system, so that my engine wont turn over. Theres a button under my dash that i can push while turning the key to disable the auto starter and passive antitheft and start the car. After doing that, i dont have a problem again for months on end. It was just something to bring up to the dealer if theyre installing an autostarter for you -- have them show you the override button :)

I like my starter tho, it gives the car a chance to warm up before i drive it, and since its been so cold its nice to give the engine and inside the car a chance to get warm.

Queen of Poop
12-30-2007, 10:36 PM
I had Ford install one in my 2003 Ford Explorer Sportrac truck when I bought it. Cost $500. I've had it 4 years now and have never had any grief. It's very useful here in the winter time. I'd never have another vehicle without one. It's just too bad it doesn't also turn on the seat heater!

pitc9
12-31-2007, 09:26 AM
We install them where I work, I have them on both of my cars and I'll never be without one! I use them in the winter and summer!

We install them on cars that are new, old, leased and owned.

Queen of poop - in most cases you CAN have your heated seats come on when you remote start your car! I don't have heated seats, but in the winter I have the guys reprogram my car to have the rear defrost come on when I remote start my cars.

Blue Frog - In most cases, if you have a lock/unlock button on your remote start key fob you HAVE to use it and not the key fob from the manufactor. Using it can screw up your remote starter.

Blue_Frog
12-31-2007, 10:54 AM
We install them where I work, I have them on both of my cars and I'll never be without one! I use them in the winter and summer!

We install them on cars that are new, old, leased and owned.

Queen of poop - in most cases you CAN have your heated seats come on when you remote start your car! I don't have heated seats, but in the winter I have the guys reprogram my car to have the rear defrost come on when I remote start my cars.

Blue Frog - In most cases, if you have a lock/unlock button on your remote start key fob you HAVE to use it and not the key fob from the manufactor. Using it can screw up your remote starter.

When i ordered my Escape from Ford, they put the auto starter on for me, so I only ever had two fobs, and two keys for the car. Thats what the guy from the SV group told me too, that i had to use the unlock button on the FOB to actually make the car work (or, in some cases the button under the dashboard to override the autostarter or something). Maybe i just have a bad install, who knows. I still like the warm car in the winter though :)