PDA

View Full Version : Fave Christmas songs!!

jennielynn1970
12-24-2007, 10:06 PM
My all time favorite has to be "Christmas Wrapping" by the Waitresses. Gosh I love that song!

Saw Hall & Oates in concert last year where I worked part time (The State Theatre in Easton, PA), and their "Jingle Bell Rock" was great! Love those two guys!!!

I'm such an 80's girl, lol! If you don't have The Big 80's Christmas cd, and you love the 80's, you gotta get it!

Catty1
12-24-2007, 10:22 PM
O Holy Night - any version sung by a good voice. For you classical trivia fans, music was written by Adophe Adam, who composed the score for the ballet 'Giselle'.

Waltz of the Snowflakes, Nutcracker Suite, Tchaikovsky - the little flute chirps after the intro sound to me just like the first few flakes of snow that flit by! :)

Silent Night - version by Elisabeth Schwarzkopf, accompanied by violin and guitar (the original arrangement since composer and choir director Franz Gruber found keys were not working on the church organ). She harmonizes with herself ...this is such a simple, sweet and genuine version - I had tears just streaming down my face when I heard it. If you can listen to it - and if your eyes don't sting just a bit - IMO you'd have to be a rock! :)

ETA: Jenn, I am an 80's gal too....but more like the 1880's! :D

jennielynn1970
12-24-2007, 10:31 PM
ETA: Jenn, I am an 80's gal too....but more like the 1880's! :D

Awe... you're not THAT old!! LOL! I like the traditional songs too... :)

Catty1
12-24-2007, 10:39 PM
Awe... you're not THAT old!! LOL!

No, but I play one on TV! :D

joycenalex
12-25-2007, 07:20 AM
any version of oh holy night. the one that moved me to goosebumps most recently are the three tenors version....amazing, just amazing. and i can sing, i'll be home for christmas, because after so many years, alex and i are home, really home. happy holidays everyone!

Catty1
12-25-2007, 10:00 AM
Also - Mary's Boy Child by Boney M. My mom LOVES that! :D

Freedom
12-25-2007, 10:15 AM
"Mary, Did You Know?" just gives me chills each time I hear it.

White Christmas by Bing Crosby; my folks had it on an album -- a 78! -- and we listened to that album over and over at Christmas time when I was a child. So it has such memories for me, mom would put that one when we made all the cookies all through the month of December. She would hum along, said she refused to sing with The Crooner, lol.

Domenic the Donkey is my favorite comic song of the season. and no, not JUST because it is my Dad's name! :D

Karen
12-25-2007, 11:25 AM
I love so many Christmas songs - couldn't even think of any that I hate for that other thread!

Last night we sang The Coventry Carol, I Wonder as I Wander, and Oh Holy night as the choir, and of course many traditional carols with the congregation.

I love the Messiah Sing every year, I love even obscure carols, or ones that you never hear done "popularly" and I think just about every carol in our hymnal was my favorite at some point in life!

One of my favorites to sing in 4 parts is Break Forth Most Beauteous Heavely Light - it has such intricate interweaving harmonies.

When I am am shoveling snow, I sing In The Bleak Midwinter.

Christmas carols tend to play in my head much of the year.

Scooter's Mom
12-25-2007, 12:11 PM
I also love "Mary, Did You Know?" My favorite version is the Kenny Rogers & Wynona version. I'm a country girl.

It's doesn't mention Christmas, just cold weather, but my hubbies favorite seems to be the Martina McBride/Dean Martin version of "Baby, it's Cold Outside". He adores that song and sings it all the time to the dogs, lol.

And, I think my all time favorite is "Winter Wonderland". I sang it in my choir program in the 5th grade, and have just been enamored with it ever since.

krazyaboutkatz
12-25-2007, 09:46 PM
I like the classic Christmas songs but I also like some of the more humorous Christmas songs by The Bob Rivers Comedy Group. I have one of their CD's called "Twisted Christmas" that I haven't played in years. It has songs like "Walkin' 'Round In Womens Underwear", "I Am Santa Claus" which is sung like one of Ozzy Osbourne's songs, "We Wish You Weren't Living With Us", "Wreck The Malls" and many more. Here's a link to some of songs that you can listen to:Twisted Christmas (http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=1098303).

jennielynn1970
12-25-2007, 11:24 PM
This has to be my favorite Elementary Winter/Christmas concert song for the little guys. I miss teaching elementary!!

Penguin Polka (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbiiKwyvVQc)