PDA

View Full Version : Look what I made!

jennielynn1970
12-24-2007, 09:44 PM
So, I love baking and cooking, and have been a baker since I was about 5 years old. 4H started me off and got me involved with county fairs and things like that.

Well, this year, my mom and dad (and my brother's family) decided that they were exchanging any gifts, except for my 19 yr old nephew. I'm kinda bummed, because I loved to shop for things for them and had such a good time finding things I thought they'd enjoy. I did home made things as well, but usually there were warm sweaters for mom and dad, some kind of jacket or coat for dad to wear outside, and usually something my mother couldn't give to me and tell me to use for myself (I'm also about 4 sizes bigger than her, lol, so I can't wear her size M sweaters).

So, I had to try to think of something to do for them... I can't just NOT do something. I've done homemade fudge for dad, cookies for mom, photo collages and whatever else I can come up with that mom won't have a fit over that I spent money on it. I decided to go with food again, lol, and wanted to try something decadent... Julia Child was my idol, and I love her cookbooks. So, I tried to make one of the pastries that is in the Baking with Julia cookbook (I've done a bunch of the breads and things... I just don't have a lot of patience for pastries). My goal was a danish pastry braid. I made home made dried apricot filling for my mom, and also a cream cheese one for my dad.

I'm not totally pleased with the outcome... the ends could look a lot better, but they still turned out really nicely. They are approximately 17" long just to give you an idea (my tray was 11x17).

Here they are before baking...
Cheese danish
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/jenn_librarian/HPIM0880.jpg

Apricot in oven
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/jenn_librarian/HPIM0879.jpg

The finished products...

Cheese Danish
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/jenn_librarian/HPIM0885.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/jenn_librarian/HPIM0884.jpg

Apricot Danish
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/jenn_librarian/HPIM0882.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/jenn_librarian/HPIM0881.jpg

I'm hoping they like them and don't start in on "Oh, my cholesterol is so high!" otherwise I'll flip on them, lol! The dough for these suckers was a 2 day process, and multiple foldings and rolling outs and foldings and rolling outs.... my arms are tired!! Wish me luck that they like them!

Edwina's Secretary
12-24-2007, 09:49 PM
I am in awe! That is so beautiful! Bet it taste great as well.....They will love it.

Daisy and Delilah
12-24-2007, 10:19 PM
Those are beautiful, Jennie!! Who wouldn't love to get something so thoughtful? Great job!! :)

chocolatepuppy
12-24-2007, 10:22 PM
Well they look darn good to me. Why not let me try a piece of the cheese one to try it out? ;)

Cookiebaker
12-25-2007, 01:30 AM
Wow! Those are beautiful and they look delicious!!! And 2 days to make? I call that dedication because I think I woulda had them chucked somewhere halfway through the process ;) :D

krazyaboutkatz
12-25-2007, 01:35 AM
They look wonderful to me and if someone made me one I'd love it.:) I bet they taste great too.:) I love to bake too but I don't think that I'd have that kind of patience.;)

catnapper
12-25-2007, 06:36 AM
Well if mom doesn't appreciate them, let me know where to meet you so I can get one of those beautiful pastries!

Oh, and I know what you're saying about mom.... my grandmom was like that and hubby's father is too. Last night was a joy :rolleyes: ...... he lectured the daughter who's a good kid that she has to "stay trim" and then praised the one who's turned into wild child on her fake tan (which is currently an unnatural shade of orange) Then he spent an hour telling us how we were late (we were told 6:00, NOT 5:00) and how maybe if he ate some of the fruit we put in the fruit basket we gave him he wouldn't be so heavy.

Pam
12-25-2007, 07:42 AM
WOW! Looks like it came right off the bakery shelf! I bet your house smelled heavenly while that was baking! I have made some things using yeast dough and know just how hard it is. Congratulations on perfection! I will help you eat it if the others don't want it. :p

Freedom
12-25-2007, 08:12 AM
My Christmas gourmet coffee is already, if they don't want it, I'll be right over!

You really did well, especially since you have not made this particular item before. You xperience shines through!

My mom always told me I cook like Julia Child; when I am finished, the kitchen is topsy turvy, EVERYTHING needs to be cleaned, but the final product is yummy, he hee.

AdoreMyDogs
12-25-2007, 10:33 AM
WOW! They look delicious and they are SO beautiful! I sure hope they appreciate them, they are a lovely gift.

Taz_Zoee
12-25-2007, 10:47 AM
Ok, my mouth is watering!! Just let me know if they do not like them and I'll give you my address.........;). They look so yummy!!!

Randi
12-25-2007, 02:31 PM
They look as good as the ones we buy at the posh bakery, if not better - great job!! I'm sure your family will love them! :)

Felicia's Mom
12-25-2007, 05:15 PM
I would love to get that for a gift! It looks delicious!

dukedogsmom
12-25-2007, 06:10 PM
Those look delicious! I'll be right over. I can see why you're pleased with yourself. I don't think I could make anything like that. Did everyone enjoy them?

jennielynn1970
12-25-2007, 10:36 PM
Well, first I got yelled at because I wasn't supposed to give them anything... I said "No, you said I can't buy you anything..."

My mom and dad both loved them!! My mom ate some of my dad's, then some of hers, then some more of my dad's, lol. :D

There was a ton of apricot filling left over as well, so I convinced her to make a dried apricot custard. Who cares if they are all blended up?? Toss some crumbs on top, stick it in the oven, and you're good to go. They're just dried apricots, water that rehydrated them, sugar, and lemon juice to retain color and give some tartness. I thought it would be good as jam on toast and english muffins as well.

So, all and all, they were a hit! I think my mom will like sharing them with guests that come over as well. She said the cream cheese filling was the best she's ever had... I said that's because I made it because I'm so fussy about cheese danish, because many times it tastes more like sugar than cream cheese. These were both decadent! Next time, bake less... just so tops aren't as dark. I'm my own worst critic, lol, I know! :rolleyes:

If I start my own pastry store, I'll let you know, lol. It is something I enjoy, so maybe when I'm independently wealthy and have free time, lol, I'll rent a small shop... some day.... ;)

krazyaboutkatz
12-26-2007, 10:24 PM
Jenn, I'm so glad that your parents liked them.:) I wish I could taste them. They sure look yummy.:)

moosmom
12-27-2007, 09:10 AM
Those look wonderful!!! I'm hungry. :p

kimlovescats
12-27-2007, 10:34 AM
Those are beautiful! Almost too much so to eat! NAAAAAAA, give me a bite! :D