PDA

View Full Version : What It's Like to Have Good Neighbors

lizbud
12-24-2007, 06:10 PM
Friends help after woman's barn burns

By ERIC WEDDLE
[email protected]

MULBERRY, Ind. -- Since Valerie Harris' barn burned down last week she's become overwhelmed by the generosity of family, friends and strangers.

Valerie Harris looks over the charred remains of her barn Sunday in Mulberry. -
"I just want to thank everyone who has helped," Harris said while looking at charred remnants outside her house, about 50 miles northwest of Indianapolis. "I can't believe so many have called and stopped by."
The fire struck last Tuesday. The two-story barn was not only a getaway for her three children, but a home for three horses, more than a dozen cats, a rooster and two ducks. While family members have lent a hand in building a horse stable, a Gary couple dropped off dozens of hay bales, three cats were adopted, and $1,000 was anonymously donated to the rebuilding fund.

"It is Christmas, and whether it is human or animal, people need to help. You can't be selfish now," said Kimberly Fancher of Double Hearts Stable in Lafayette, who is temporarily tending the horses. "If people can just pitch in just a little more."

Harris still seeks homes for four kittens and a two adult male cats -- since they are beating the cold inside a donated doghouse or sleeping next to Wilbur, a miniature pot belly pig.

Gordon May of Dayton dropped off 200 pounds of various feeds for the horses, cats and the ducks. He also brought a posthole driver, since Harris' burned in the fire.

It would have been an anonymous gift if Harris' phone caller identification hadn't displayed his name.

"It wasn't really important that she knew where it came from," he said. "After I went there I saw she needed an awful lot of help."

Fancher related to Harris' compassion for animals. Two of the horses were rescued by Harris from bad situations.

"The horses are tended to just as if they are show horses now," said Fancher.

Local businesses and farmers have donated bedding and grain.

Harris' home insurance did not cover the barn or its contents. An adjuster is determining if some items, such as the riding lawn mower and bicycles, will be partially covered.

The fire's cause is being investigated by the Madison Township Volunteer Fire Department.

"It will still be a really good Christmas as we are together and still have our health," said Harris. "We have had so many people call and have their prayers. I appreciate it."

K9karen
12-24-2007, 09:50 PM
Heartwarming. I have a lot of faith in the human race. I've seen it first hand. I think what happens, is that, on the news, for example, we hear more bad, awful things than good things. There may be a wonderful tidbit at the end of the newscast, but I wish one day a whole newscast would be good stuff. Thanks for sharing, Liz.

lizbud
12-25-2007, 10:54 AM
You are right Karen. :) There are more good people than bad & I too
wish for a newsday of all the good things that happened from all over
the world. Wouldn't that be great. :)