PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm ... not really what we had planned for today! (New Rescue Dog!)

Twisterdog
12-23-2007, 10:03 PM
We planned on driving across the state to visit my son today. We left this morning, and I took a little nap on the way. I dreamed I saw a little black and white chihuahua type dog on the side of the road, and we stopped to pick it up. One of those silly, cat-nap dreams.

So, when I wake up a few minutes later, I tell my husband to stop at the next place so I could use the restroom. I rarely ever do that, and never only 60 miles into the trip! I blamed it on drinking too much coffee.

We stopped a truck stop we have never been to before in a town we never stop in. We usually stop in the same places. When we pull up, I immediately see this little ACD running around the parking lot. She is just frantic, running between all the semis. I can tell she's looking for her owner. I ask the clerk about her, and she tells us she has been here since the night before, doing the same thing. Obviously someone just drove away and left her there. :mad:

So a corndog and a polish sausage later, I finally lure her close enough to grab. She yelped once when I snatched her, but never offered to bite. As soon as I put her in the truck she decided she loved me. She has frostbite on her feet, she is thin, I am pretty sure pregnant, and has a very weak rear end. Seems like she might have an old back injury.

But she is a doll, sleeping right now on the couch. She is not at all sure what the other dogs are, but she is learning quickly. Poor little thing.

I so wish my digital camera worked. But imagine Glacier's Tehya, but with little black spots all over ... dalmatian meets heeler. I'm calling her Karma. It just seems like we were meant to find her today ... the dream I had, stopping somewhere new ... plus she reminds me SO much of my RB Queenie, who died in March. Some of her little quirky actions are EXACTLY the same as Queenie's.

Oh, and top of this, the highway was closed, and we had to turn around and come home. So, we get to make the whole trip again tomorrow, hopefully.

critter crazy
12-23-2007, 10:10 PM
Awwww.....Definitely sounds like Karma was meant to be found by you!! What an amazing story!! I am sure she is very greatfull!! How far along do you think she is??? Poor girl!! I sure hope she can gain some weight before she has her ppuppies! You did a great thing!! Merry Christmas karma!:D

Grace
12-23-2007, 10:10 PM
Major LES here. It must be Karma's Christmas miracle.

Cinder & Smoke
12-23-2007, 10:12 PM
:D

Christmas comes but once a year ...

Two days early in your case. ;)

Better hang an extra Stocking on Christmas Eve.

You guys did GOOD!
;)

dukedogsmom
12-23-2007, 10:12 PM
That is so strange and cool at the same time! I'm so glad you were there for Karma. It sure seems meant to be. I'll be glad when we get to see pics. I don't understand just how heartless people can be. It constantly amazes me. She'll now have a Merry Christmas for sure, thanks to you.

Taz_Zoee
12-23-2007, 10:36 PM
LES here too!! That was meant to be!

3muttsandaboston
12-23-2007, 10:50 PM
omg what a lucky girl to have found you! I am hoping you get a digital camera for christmas so we can see pics. :D

shais_mom
12-24-2007, 04:45 AM
wow!
Fingers crossed for a GOOD outcome for KARMA! :D

kuhio98
12-24-2007, 06:36 AM
I'm so glad you found this baby in time to help her. If it were me, though, I would put up a flier at the truck stop about her. Someone may be frantically searching for this lost baby.

One way or another, it definitely sounds like the angels guided you to her.

anna_66
12-24-2007, 07:08 AM
Oh what a sad story with a happy ending! You were definitely meant to find this sweet girl and help her out.
I think Karma is an awesome name for her!

I hope your second time around trip goes well.

Merry Christmas!

pitc9
12-24-2007, 07:11 AM
OMG!!
What a wonderful story!

It's easy to see that you were put there at that time to save her.
LES....

I'm so happy for her that you found her!

Freedom
12-24-2007, 07:22 AM
"Karma" indeed! What a tale. Sounds like she really needed someone and she can't do any better than a PT home. Hope she can regain enough strength for a healthy litter as well. What a Christmas story!

joycenalex
12-24-2007, 08:09 AM
karma is a cool name, and many blessings on all your heads today

Cincy'sMom
12-24-2007, 08:12 AM
What a great Christmas Story! Best wishes to Karma and you!

WELOVESPUPPIES
12-24-2007, 09:13 AM
I am so happy you were lead to that rest stop. Poor girl. Merry Christmas to you all.

chocolatepuppy
12-24-2007, 10:18 AM
Welcome to PT Karma! What a happy ending! :D

K9karen
12-24-2007, 09:37 PM
*sings* "Instant Karma's Gonna Get Ya..."

See? Told ya all that stuff is true!!!! Yippee!!!!! Beautiful Christmas Story..that's what it's all about, isn't it?? A zillion, cazillion, bazillion blessings on you and hubby!

Giselle
12-24-2007, 10:35 PM
Oohhh what a beautiful, powerful name and I can imagine she must be BEAUTIFUL! I love ACD's :) Congratulations to you!

Twisterdog
12-25-2007, 08:32 PM
I'm so glad you found this baby in time to help her. If it were me, though, I would put up a flier at the truck stop about her. Someone may be frantically searching for this lost baby.

One way or another, it definitely sounds like the angels guided you to her.

No one is looking for her. We talked to all the clerks in the store before we even started trying to catch her. They all said the same thing, that she had been there since the day before, frantically searching for her owner, and that no one had called or asked about her. My husband left his business card with the manager and the clerks, and told them to have her owner call us if they called looking for her. No one has called, either us or the truck stop, and it's been four days now.

Today she taught herself to use the dog door. I was going to wait until everyone left the house after Christmas dinner to start teaching her, since it was a bit chaotic. She decided, however, to see where the other dogs were going for herself. Now, our dog door is a bit tricky. For one thing, it's a solid piece of metal, not soft rubber, so it takes a bit of getting used to, even for a dog door pro. Secondly, the dog door from the house opens into a big dog house which sits up against the house. The dogs then have to go through the dog house and out another metal dog door into the yard. The dog house is, of course, pitch black inside. She figured all this out on her own in about two minutes. SMART dog.

She got along splendidly with all our Christmas guests, politely crawling into their laps one by one, and rolling over to get her belly rubbed. She was the STAR of the holiday, no doubt.

I took pictures on my regular camera, I just need to get them developed and put on a disk, then I'll post them.

loveallfurryfriends
12-25-2007, 09:20 PM
I am so glad that you found Karma. It makes me cry to think that someone just left her all alone. Thanks for being her angel. Merry Christmas to you and Karma :)

K9karen
12-25-2007, 11:00 PM
What a gem

Ginger's Mom
12-26-2007, 06:01 AM
You are definitely a Christmas Angel. I am so happy to hear that it is all working out so well. :)

Cookiebaker
01-02-2008, 02:34 AM
What an amazing story!! Merry Christmas, and congratulations on your new addition!! :cool:

kimlovescats
01-02-2008, 09:26 PM
Oh WOW! Your trip was definitely worthwhile! WELCOME, KARMA!!!!