PDA

View Full Version : Sugar is healing well, post #45

Freedom
12-23-2007, 06:03 PM
Sugar has been wheezing for almost 3 weeks. She wheezes when she inhales and when she exhales. Often she also sounds like she is gargling.

After 2 weeks of this, I took her in to the vet (last Wednesday.) She is on Clavamox to fight a possible sinus infection. But it does not seem to be getting any better.

The vet said our next options are: x-ray, running a tube up her nose; MRI. All of these require anesthesia. Most likely, she has inhaled something, or took something in her mouth and then inhaled it up rather than swallowing it. Could be a blade of grass, a bit of a leaf, whatever.

I was really hoping the antibiotics would do the trick. I don't like ANY of the next options!

Several weeks prior to all this, Sugar was doing the "reverse sneeze," but that had all cleared up and we had at least a week possibly 2 weeks with no issues at all.

Has anyone dealt with something like this? I don't even know what questions to ask the vet!

3muttsandaboston
12-23-2007, 06:23 PM
I would definatly take her to the vet and get all the tests needed! Zoe showed these symtoms (sneezing wheezing runny nose and reverse sneeze) for about 1 week and I had made her a vet appointment. Sadly she died the night before her appointment. I'm not trying to scare you or anything but it really worries me now when one of my dogs sneezes or wheezes.

dukedogsmom
12-23-2007, 09:08 PM
That doesn't sound good. I'd be afraid of pneumonia. Please take her in soon for ex-rays, etc. I hope it's not bad. Please give her some hugs from me.

Pam
12-24-2007, 06:54 AM
I agree that it sounds like something more serious than a sinus problem, especially since there has been no improvement. I would get her in to see the vet if you can today. Otherwise she might get worse and you will be spending lots more at the emergency vets. Keep us posted! Get well wishes to Sugar from me!

pitc9
12-24-2007, 07:04 AM
I agree with the others.... I'd be sure to make an appt. asap.
{{hugs}} to you and Sugar!

Freedom
12-24-2007, 07:30 AM
Well, we know it is not pneumonia, as there is nothing in her lungs. When I had her to the vet, I said I couldn't tell if it was all sinus or some lung congestion, as well. So the vet checked and had us all be quiet while she listened with the stethoscope. Nope, lungs are all clear. She has no fever, and no runny nose.

It could be a tooth infection, somewhere on the uppers, and if the root gets infected, that goes up into the sinus cavity. So the antibiotics were to help if it is that or a sinus infection.

I guess the x rays will help figure out / eliminate some things. I jsut hate the thought of more anesthesia for her. She is 10 years old, and in the year I've had her she has needed anesthesia 4 times already!

This doesn't seem to bother her; she is full of her usual activity level. The vet told me not to take her on walks or give a bath, but she trots around in the back yard like nothing is wrong. When she is asleep, she does not wheeze at all. Sigh.

WELOVESPUPPIES
12-24-2007, 09:20 AM
I will keep Sugar in my prayers. I hope that your wheezing goes away soon sweetheart. Please keep us posted on her progress. ((hugs))

Daisy and Delilah
12-24-2007, 01:11 PM
Sandie, forgive me if this has already been said but.....could it be asthma? Do dogs get asthma? I'll be keeping that little girl in my thoughts, heart and prayers. You and Dad too!!

Freedom
12-26-2007, 04:20 PM
Sugar goes in to the vet first thing Thursday morning.

She was doing OK, slightly better with the antibiotics but not 100%, so I knew we had to do the next step. I had the appointment made for Friday. Then this morning, she wasn't very good AT ALL. Wheezing and blurry eyed, and she slept all day long. I called about 11 AM and asked to move it up to tomorrow.

They will do x rays of her head (is there an object in there? Other than her brain, I mean!) and of her chest (to check the heart, in case it is enlarged). Then they will use a scope to look up her nose, while the x rays are processed. Depending what the x rays show -- like an abcessed tooth -- they will proceed to take care of the problem if they can, before waking her up. All is scheduled for 10 to 11 AM, but they will start sooner if they can. I drop her off at 7:30 in the morning.

Dad and I are quite worried about her. I would appreciate some prayers for Sugar. Thanks.

kimlovescats
12-26-2007, 04:47 PM
Praying that Sugar's test results come out good but conclusive of what is ailing her! It's terrible not knowing what is causing our babies to feel bad! :(

lvpets2002
12-26-2007, 04:50 PM
:( Oh No Our Poor Wittle Sugar.. I am so sorry your not feeling well.. I hope those antibiotics work real soon & get you much better.. Sending Lots Of Whisker Huggss & Prayers.. I know my kitties have had this off & on & has been on antibodies from the Vets.. All are ok now..

Taz_Zoee
12-26-2007, 05:01 PM
Sugar will be in my thoughts tomorrow morning. I hope it's a simple fix.

cassiesmom
12-26-2007, 05:17 PM
Fingers and paws crossed

WELOVESPUPPIES
12-26-2007, 05:19 PM
I am so sorry to hear Sandie that she has taken a turn this morning, I know you have to be stressing but we are all praying for you and for Sugar that everything will be fine. I hope that her tests lead to the cause of her wheezing and that it is something that will be quickly fixed for Sugar. Please give her lots of extra hugs from me tonight and tomorrow before you drop her off. And here is a ((hug)) for you and your Dad.

Karen
12-26-2007, 05:43 PM
Awwwww, prayers for Sugar are on the way!

lizbud
12-27-2007, 09:19 AM
Thinking about Sugar this morning & hoping the Vet can help her.

Daisy and Delilah
12-27-2007, 10:41 AM
Thoughts and prayers are coming to you from Florida, Sandie. Please be okay Sugar :( We love you little girl.
{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}} to you and your Dad, Sandie

Freedom
12-27-2007, 11:48 AM
Just spoke with the vet. Looks like one upper canine is infected; the canine roots do go up into the sinus cavity. NOthing else is showing up in any of the xrays.

I had the option to try treating it with another antibiotic (Baytril) and then, if that didn't work, have the tooth removed. But at age 10, every time se has anesthesia becomes a bigger deal, so I decided to have the tooth removed today. I can call to see how she s about 4 PM, and she should be coming home today.

Let's hope this was it!

WELOVESPUPPIES
12-27-2007, 12:07 PM
I am so relieved to hear they just think it is an infected tooth, now after a few days of her gums healing up she should be as good as new. Please give her lots of lovin' from me and my gang when she feels up to it.

Daisy and Delilah
12-27-2007, 01:09 PM
You must be sick with worry, Sandie. I can feel exactly what you're going through. I'm also relieved to hear that it's a tooth. Can't wait for an update. {{{{{MORE HUGS}}}}}

Jadapit
12-27-2007, 01:14 PM
Poor Sugar! You both will be in my thoughts. (((Hugs)))

Freedom
12-27-2007, 05:43 PM
Sugar is home, and sleeping. I met with the vet and we reviewed all the xrays together. She showed me the good canine,a nd the one which was removed. She said it came out much too easily for a canine. Canines are typically the most difficult to remove.

It could take as much as 7 days for the site to heal and feel better. There may be some oozing.

The vet feels fairly sure now, that this was the problem.

WELOVESPUPPIES
12-27-2007, 05:50 PM
Sugar I am glad you are home. You get lots of rest now and feel better soon. We are sending lots of hugs and good vibes your way. ((hugs))

Karen
12-27-2007, 05:57 PM
Aww, Sugar, we hope you feel better soon. I had an abcessed tooth when I was a kid, and it was certainly no fun. You have my sympathy.

Catty1
12-27-2007, 08:16 PM
Poor Sugar - I bet that hurt! But now you have some meds, and you will feel much better soon!

Wow, for the tooth to come out that easily...I hope she heals soon. Did they use sutures?

HUGS to little Sugar! :)

Pam
12-27-2007, 08:49 PM
Well this certainly was probably the best thing that it could have been. Not that we want to see Sugar in dentures :p but a bad tooth is a lot better than some of the things we were all possibly thinking. Sugar, now is a good time to ask for ice cream! LOL! Hope you feel super real soon. :)

Daisy and Delilah
12-27-2007, 09:55 PM
Good idea Pam!! Ask Mom for ice cream, Sugar. Feel better, sweetheart. Kisses for you from us here in Florida :)

Freedom
12-28-2007, 08:26 AM
Candace - yes, she has dissolvable stitches.
Pam , Terry, thanks for the idea! I have one "cup" of Frosty Paws left over from the summer. Bet she will enjoy it!

She is still woozy, but doing well. She gobbles down her pills, I wrap them in deli turkey. She hasn't made any sound, I imagine her throat is sore having the intubation in place for a bit over 2 hours! She just looks at me with huge round eyes, and accepts any and all petting and hugs. SHE IS NOT WHEEZING!!!! :p And the vet told me she suspects that the weeks of reverse sneezing were also part of this problem. Whew!

WELOVESPUPPIES
12-28-2007, 08:36 AM
Yay no more wheezing!! I am so happy that has stopped. We are all still thinking of you here Sugar, I hope you will feel less woozy soon and get back to your normal self. Enjoy your ice cream and deli turkey- yum yum. ((BIG HUGS)) sweetheart.

Taz_Zoee
12-28-2007, 08:54 AM
I'm so glad to hear the problem has been discovered and solved. My Taz knows how an infected canine (or fang as I call it) can feel. He had one of his removed about 2 years ago. He eats funny, but he is not in pain.
Sugar, you will be all better in no time and will feel like a puppy again. But if you act like it still hurts maybe you could get more frosty paws.....;). Shhh....don't tell. :)

kimlovescats
12-28-2007, 08:57 AM
That's fantastic news! I know she has been in lots of pain, but I'm so relieved it isn't anything more serious!!! Hope to hear that the surgery went well and she is feeling better soon!

Kim

Muddy4paws
12-28-2007, 05:07 PM
Poor Sugar, I hope you get well soon. You sound like such a perfect girl eating your pills nicely, my dogs will do the whole "Detect & Spit" routine.

Freedom
12-28-2007, 05:28 PM
Poor Sugar, I hope you get well soon. You sound like such a perfect girl eating your pills nicely, my dogs will do the whole "Detect & Spit" routine.
He hee, I used to wrap her pills in peanut butter. I guess one day I didn't wrap it very well and she found it. Now she refuses to eat peanut butter! :rolleyes:

dukedogsmom
12-28-2007, 09:44 PM
I'm so glad to know she's not wheezing now. I hope she's feeling much better soon. I'm sure having that infection gone will make a big difference. Glad it wasn't anything more! Give her some hugs from me.

Freedom
01-02-2008, 08:26 AM
Oh God, I can't believe this. I made the wrong decision for my girl! I have been crying at night.

Sugar is wheezing again. She only stopped for 48 hours, from Thursday's surgery through Saturday evening. By Saturday at 7 PM she was wheezing again.

I took her on a walk yesterday. She has not been walking with us (me and the other dogs) in 3 weeks, as the vet had suggested we hold off until we knew what the issue was. She lost her breath, was gasping and coughing, and had long strings of drool hanging from her mouth. I couldn't pick her up and carry her, as I already had Ozzy in the pup pocket. So we went slowly and returned to the car.

I just don't know what to do. And now she has had a tooth out which could have waited, and that was her first tooth removal. So she has a gap (which she still won't let me see), meaning the other teeth will start shifting and loosen.

Oh Sugar, I didn't mean to create more problems for you! I just wanted you to be better! LES here again. What ever am I going to do for my poor girl!

Pawsitive Thinking
01-02-2008, 10:13 AM
Any news???

WELOVESPUPPIES
01-02-2008, 11:41 AM
I am so sorry to hear that Sugar is not doing well again. I was so hoping that had fixed the problem. Have you or are you taking her back to the vet? If so what did they recommend next? Poor sweet Sugar. You can't blame yourself, you went by what your vet suggested, since that is where the he/she thought the problem was originating. You did what I would have done, what the vet suggested. Please don't beat yourself up over this. You were only trying to make her feel better. I hope that she will be better soon. Sending lots of hugs to both of you ((hugs)).

Muddy4paws
01-02-2008, 12:41 PM
:( Poor baby, Is there no other tests the vets can do? Maybe contact the rescue to see if she has any background you may not of been told about?

Sugar get well soon pretty girl.

Dont beat yourself up about it, I know its easy for me to say but we all know you have nothing but good intention for your crew.

Daisy and Delilah
01-02-2008, 01:19 PM
Sandie, I feel so bad for you and Sugar. You did the best you culd possibly do for her. You only went on the facts that you had. I know most of us here would have done the same. Don't be so hard on yourself.

I hope the vet can figure out what the problem is soon. Try to cheer up if you can. {{{{{HUGS}}}}} I'll keep Sugar and family in my thoughts and prayers.

Catty1
01-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Sandy, you and the vet did right...there obviously was an infection in the tooth.

Maybe some had snuck into another area that no one noticed because the tooth one was so obvious. :(

I think and pray that this is just a setback, and another short exam will locate the trouble - and hopefully your vet will be a tad reasonable on the cost as the surgery didn't fix it.

HUGS!

kimlovescats
01-02-2008, 07:25 PM
Don't blame yourself! At least now that tooth is not hurting her! That was something that had to be taken care of anyway! I hope you and your vet can figure out what is causing dear Sugar's wheezing!

Hugs,
Kim

Alysser
01-02-2008, 07:48 PM
I'm sorry this is happening to poor, Sugar. Poor girl. :( {{{hugs}}} and prayers for you both!

KittyGurl
01-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Oh Sandie! I am so sorry about Sugar. I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers.

Please get better Sugar. (((HUGS))) to you and your mommy

cyber-sibes
01-03-2008, 07:12 AM
Don't second-guess yourself, you made the best decision based on the information you had. The tooth needed to come out, it's just that there may be more than one thing contributing to her problem. Prayers for Sugar, poor little girl. (((hugs))) for you!

Freedom
01-03-2008, 05:02 PM
We have just returned from the vet. In short, it seems Sugar will be OK!!

I put off calling the vet as I was so upset I couldn't even talk about it without being in tears. So I called this afternoon. They said to bring her right in.

Now, Sugar has been wheezing non stop since Saturday evening. Sometimes more, sometimes less. We walk in the vet's office and . . . no wheezing. :rolleyes:

The vet told me she had me come right in as she was worried that the dog had aspirated something during the surgery or something had gone wrong! So I got her worried, too.

Dr. Lapham really thinks we found the problem, and this is all part of the healing process. The cavity left by the tooth is quite large and it is normal for it to fill and drain possibly more than once, during healing. The 48 hours of no wheezing was after the anesthesia and the dog is calm, resting, not moving much. She explained that the good news is the mucus is (and always has been ) clear, not yellow, green, or brown. She also said what she could hear via the stethoscope was quite a bit clearer than it had been prior to surgery. The drool I saw during the walk the other day was also clear, and she said that is also a good sign. The mucus will build up when the dog is more active and I told her I've noticed Sugar does not wheeze at all now when she is asleep.

So we are going to wait another week or so. The Baytril (antibiotic) and Previcox (anti inflammatory) were originally prescribed for 2 weeks, we have only used one week. The vet also looked at the site, and said the healing looks good, no swelling, etc.

I guess I need to calm down and not worry so much. Thank you all for the reassurances since my last post.

kimlovescats
01-03-2008, 06:01 PM
That's great news! Sounds like everything is going just perfectly! It's our job as moms to worry! ;)

cassiesmom
01-03-2008, 08:08 PM
Feel better soon, miss Sugar!!

jennielynn1970
01-03-2008, 11:49 PM
Oh goodness what a scare!! I'm so glad that it's nothing to be worried about, and that Sugar girl is healing well! That must be a relief to you!

Gentle hugs and pets on the way for Sugar.... feel better sweetie!

Catty1
01-04-2008, 12:18 AM
*whew!* relief...just keep healing, Sugar! :)

krazyaboutkatz
01-04-2008, 12:57 AM
I'm just now reading this thread.:o I'm sorry to hear that Sugar has been sick:( but I'm so glad to hear that she's healing well and doing much better now.:) I hope that she'll recover quickly and remain a happy and healthy dog for the rest of 2008.:)

KittyGurl
01-04-2008, 08:25 AM
I'm so glad to hear that you are doing better. Get well soon, Sugar.

WELOVESPUPPIES
01-04-2008, 08:47 AM
I was so happy to see this thread this morning!! Glad things are healing and the vet thinks she will be all better when she is all healed up. I am still sending some love to Sugar. Muah!

pitc9
01-04-2008, 09:12 AM
I'm glad to hear Sugar will be okay.
{{{hugs}}}
Feel better soon Sugar!

Pawsitive Thinking
01-04-2008, 10:12 AM
Yippee!! great news