PDA

View Full Version : My mother had a fall....

carole
12-23-2007, 02:40 AM
Just the day before my birthday, my mother was coming over to see me, and she slipped on something on the kitchen floor and hurt herself, she was pretty sore and has been for a few days, with the pain getting worse, and almost unable to get out of bed, so my dad and i went off to the medical center and had her checked out, they found she has a fractured verterbra,(sp),so no wonder she was in agony trying to get up off the xray table and doctors examining bed, she is 73 years old and her bones are quite brittle, she has cracked her ribs a couple of times before with small falls, all this just before xmas, she now has some decent pain relief so hopefully she will heal soon and not be in so much pain, please keep her in your thoughts and prayers, much appreciated, thanks.

Karen
12-23-2007, 07:55 AM
Oh, ouch! Bubble wrap under the Christmas tree for her!

Medusa
12-23-2007, 08:29 AM
Oh goodness, how painful! Lots of prayers going out for your dear Mom.....

catnapper
12-23-2007, 08:42 AM
I'm sorry to hear this. Prayers and gentle hugs coming for your mom.

Freedom
12-23-2007, 09:23 AM
If her bones are brittle, does she take any calcium supplements?

Prayers for a swift recovery!

joycenalex
12-23-2007, 10:51 AM
carole, since she has brittle bones,as proven by her fractures from minor falls has anyone suggested a bone density test, or since she has has anyone put her on calcium/vit d suppliments and fosamax/boniva/reclast/forteo...any type of bone strengthing enhancing drugs? many prayers and gentle cyber hugs for her and you as well.

shepgirl
12-23-2007, 12:37 PM
I was thinking of Didrocal Kit. My mom also has very brittle bones and the physician put her on that. Sorry to hear about your mom Carol, a fall at that age can be so dangerous if her bones are brittle.

krazyaboutkatz
12-23-2007, 02:36 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this.:( I'll continue to keep her in my thoughts and prayers.

carole
12-23-2007, 03:18 PM
Thanks everyone, she is feeling somewhat better and in less pain today, she had a more comfortable night, she had a bone density test a while back , and they said her bones were as to be expected for her age, however she is on Tamoxifin and has a thryoid condition both the medications affect the bones, and make them brittle, so it is a catch 22 situation really, she was on calcium supplements for a while, she will be back to have another bone density done and then they will consider what is best for her, i am not sure if the calcium supplements work as well with both these medications, something for us to find out.

kimlovescats
12-23-2007, 03:51 PM
Carole, I'm so sorry to hear that your mother fell and hurt herself! I'm glad she went to the doctor and now has some pain relief! I pray that she will recover fully and soon!

My mother had a fall in her bedroom a few weeks ago and broke her wrist! She is 76, so it's always a major concern for her as well!

Gentle healing hugs to your Mom!
Kim

davidpizzica
12-23-2007, 03:56 PM
Carole, I'm very sorry to hear about your mother's fall. I'm glad she's doing a little better. I'll continue to keep you and your family in my thougts and prayers.

carole
12-25-2007, 01:55 PM
Thanks everyone, mum is doing pretty well considering, she feels more like it has flared up her sciatica, and that is a possibility,we had xmas dinner out this year and she handled that very well, i saw another lady in a wheel chair there, who was much older than my mother with her nose all stitched up and i was thinking i bet the poor old dear had a fall, so mum did not do too badly really, kim i hope your mother is healing well too,so all in all she is recovering well and not doing too bad, all your prayers and good wishes are indeed helping, cheers.

dukedogsmom
12-25-2007, 06:30 PM
Carole, I'm so sorry about your mother. I hope it's not too bad and that she can recover. I hope she was able to enjoy her dinner without too much pain.

cassiesmom
12-26-2007, 01:19 PM
Carole, I'm so sorry to hear that your mother fell and hurt herself! Gentle healing hugs to your Mom!

Kim

AGree 100%! Carole, my mom is 75 and takes Fosamax for brittle bones. I still worry about her falling and breaking something, though. About 10 years ago she stumbled two days before Christmas and sprained her ankle - we have gone to a restaurant every Christmas since then.

carole
12-26-2007, 01:27 PM
Mum had a really enjoyable xmas despite her pain, the pain relief is working wonders and she is recovering slowly,she really enjoyed having all the family down, without any of the hard work, the meal out was great, enjoyed by all, a bit crowded and you had to queue for your food, but hey that is what xmas day is like, you just have to expect that, thanks for your thoughts, i am sure they are helping her heaps. :)