PDA

View Full Version : Discipline??

NoahsMommy
08-12-2002, 08:19 PM
How do you discipline your cat/cats?

I mean....there isn't much you can do..the squirt bottle, saying "no", redirecting their attention or grabbing them (gently) by the scruff and putting them down (like when they climb the screen door...).

Is there anthing else you've found that is effective, but "nice"?

krazyaboutkatz
08-12-2002, 10:17 PM
No I think that you've listed just about everything that I would use too. The only other one that I can think of is to lock them in a room or bathroom for a while. I've done this with Storm and sometimes it works but sometimes he doesn't learn anything from this experience either. So which one of your cats is being bad? Good luck.

Aspen and Misty
08-12-2002, 10:24 PM
Since my cats will stop whatever bad thing they are doign when you enter the room or they will jump down when you come in i put penny's in a can and shake it when I see them do something wrong. SO that way the associate the loud penny noise with something bad ratehr then me walking in the room.

NoahsMommy
08-13-2002, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by krazyaboutkatz
So which one of your cats is being bad? Good luck.

Well, they aren't being bad, just being cats I guess. Noah is really good and learned not to do certain things. Noel on the other hand does do a few not very desirable things until we see her. Its to the point where its funny to me....but, not to my husband. He gets mad at the cats when they behave...well...like CATS! Noel isn't bad, she just has a problem with the screen door. She knows not to touch it and will stop if I say her name...but continues to "run" up it. I know it's part of what they do...

I guess I just wanted to see if I was missing something.

krazyaboutkatz
08-13-2002, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy

Noel isn't bad, she just has a problem with the screen door. She knows not to touch it and will stop if I say her name...but continues to "run" up it. I know it's part of what they do...

I guess I just wanted to see if I was missing something. At least she doesn't try to open up the screen door. I have that problem with Storm. If I'm not in the same room for 2 seconds he'll put his claws through the screen door and open it up and then all 3 of them will be out on the balcony. I've tried squirting him with water but I don't always catch him in the act. Cats can sure be sneaky. ;)

NoahsMommy
08-13-2002, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by krazyaboutkatz
At least she doesn't try to open up the screen door. I have that problem with Storm. If I'm not in the same room for 2 seconds he'll put his claws through the screen door and open it up and then all 3 of them will be out on the balcony. I've tried squirting him with water but I don't always catch him in the act. Cats can sure be sneaky. ;)

hee hee hee hee :) :) :) I don't mean to laugh, but I can picture it right away!!! How cute!!! :D

Yes, I guess that is a pretty good bright side! What do you to stop him? Can you lock the screen?

AmberLee
08-13-2002, 12:28 AM
Well, there's hissing if they are on the brink of doing something dangerous. I used the hardware in a can to door-aversion train Cassy ... gotta find the can again... he's a little sloppy once more. :rolleyes: :(

I've also heard clapping hands works(, but you can't prove it by my little brood!)

yumyum6970
08-13-2002, 07:02 AM
I have the same problems with my two kitties...My Husband doesn't think they are doing anything wrong and doesn't get onto them. I do however. When you tell them NO they look at you and they do it again just to see if they can get away with it..So they know they are getting into trouble. :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-13-2002, 11:20 AM
You might want to try that citrus spray stuff. If she doesn't like the way the door smells, she won't climb it....I would think....then again you never know about these critters sometimes. :rolleyes:

I don't think the spray would hurt the screen any. Tubby knows what "no" means and sometimes he won't stop if I just say it, but if I get up and head towards him while I'm saying it, he immediately stops whatever he's doing and takes off. Peanut never does anything wrong. :rolleyes:

NoahsMommy
08-13-2002, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
Tubby knows what "no" means and sometimes he won't stop if I just say it, but if I get up and head towards him while I'm saying it, he immediately stops whatever he's doing and takes off. Peanut never does anything wrong. :rolleyes:

Yes, Noel will stop if we look at her and she see's us...if that doesn't work, we do stand up and walk towards her and she stops. Good idea about the spray...is that any type of citrus spray?

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-13-2002, 12:43 PM
I don't know any specific names for the citrus spray, but I know they have it at any Petsmart or similar type store. It's common because cats don't like citrus so people use it to keep them off of many things. I used to use it on my plants to keep Tubby away from them.

krazyaboutkatz
08-13-2002, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy

hee hee hee hee :) :) :) I don't mean to laugh, but I can picture it right away!!! How cute!!! :D

Yes, I guess that is a pretty good bright side! What do you to stop him? Can you lock the screen? The screen door won't lock and if it did I'd be afraid that he'd really tear it up. I was tying a rubber band to part of the screen door and the frame so that it wouldn't open very far but they keep on breaking. Now I try to be in the room when it's open so if Storm tries to do anything I can spray him. Sometimes I just have to show him the bottle and he'll run.

moosmom
08-14-2002, 12:16 PM
I really don't discipline my cats. What're you gonna do??? Cats act the way they do cuz they're cats.

However...MooShoo, who is a known junk food kitty, has at times spent many a dinner hour (my dinner hour) in "kitty jail". Kitty jail is a time-out for cats. It's usually the back bedroom. He stays there until I'm finished eating. Don't worry, he's no worse for wear. He's got a window perch, a tv, tons of toys and a bed. It's more like going to a retreat than jail. And...it works!!

KittyKats10
08-14-2002, 05:47 PM
i just pick em up and shake a finger at them and say "NO" if they do something really bad i just hit their bottom a little but i dont hurt them and put em down and they look at me and i make a strick face and they barely ever do it again (say scratching the chairs or couch)