PDA

View Full Version : My husband brought home a stray.

Scooter's Mom
12-22-2007, 02:12 PM
My husband found this kitty by our front door, meowing. So he brought her (?) in. I was in the other room, and he yelled, "Crystal! Come here." When I went there, this is what he was holding in his arms ...

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c263/Crystal_1972/Pets/Jingle/sk5.jpg
I moved her to the garage for now. I have an appointment with the vet at 3pm to make sure she's disease free, as I can't take the chance of my boys getting ANYTHING, and to see if she's microchipped.

I will be making flyers to post around the neighborhood for "Found Kitty!" in the hopes that whoever owns her will be missing her and will see the flyer.

Here are some more photos of the beautiful girl.

Ooh, can I rub you?
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c263/Crystal_1972/Pets/Jingle/sk2.jpg

Ok, I'll settle for rubbing this!
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c263/Crystal_1972/Pets/Jingle/sk3.jpg

I don't sit still well. I want to be with you!
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c263/Crystal_1972/Pets/Jingle/sk1.jpg

Okay, just this one time, I'll sit still for a photo.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c263/Crystal_1972/Pets/Jingle/sk4.jpg

I called Katjaye (of course!) and told her all about the finding of the kitty. She's already seen the photos, and her daughter suggested the temporary name of "JINGLE" since it's Christmas-time. So, until her owners are found - meet Jingle!

(Sorry for the photo size - if I shrunk them anymore, they got grainy - I think my camera settings are wrong)

Taz_Zoee
12-22-2007, 02:20 PM
She is beautiful! And Jingle is a great (temp:p) name for her.
So, what if the owners do not claim her?

catmandu
12-22-2007, 02:47 PM
I AM LIKE YOU, IT IS HARD TO SOMETIMES DETERMINE A STRAY CAT FROM ONE WHO IS JUST VISITING AND SMELLS SOMETHING GOOD TO EAT.
I AM GLAD YOU ARE PUTTING UP SIGNS AS YOU DONT WANT TO TAKE SOMEONES COMPANION AND HAVE THEM WORRYING ABOUT HER.
WILL SHE BE YOUR CAT, IF NOONE CLAIMS HER??
SHE IS SO SWEET, SHE WILL BE HARD TO LET GO OF, WE ARE BETTING THAT SHE STAYS!!!!
:) :rolleyes: :cool: :D ;) :p :cool:

Scooter's Mom
12-22-2007, 02:57 PM
If she's not micro-chipped, and she's not claimed... and is healthy (nothing my boys can get) then she's not going anywhere. She's really sweet. She meows when you talk to her and she purrs all the time. And rubs against you a LOT.

I worry though, that she'll be put back outside if she does get claimed. It is almost a death sentence out here because of the coyotes. And the cars. :(

We'll have to wait and see. But, at least we'll make sure she's healthy. It's the least I can do for the beautiful girl.

And, lol - she may end up being a He. I've not looked closely enough to find out. I just think the kitty LOOKS like a girl.

jenluckenbach
12-22-2007, 03:03 PM
She is BEAUTIFUL!!!!

If she does get claimed, we can only hope that her getting outside was an accident. Good luck either way.

krazyaboutkatz
12-22-2007, 03:13 PM
She's gorgeous.:) I hope that she'll receive a clean bill of health and will be able to be a new addition to your family. Good luck.:)

kittycats_delight
12-22-2007, 03:20 PM
She is gorgeous. Hubby did a wonderful thing bringing her in. I hope she gets a clean bill of health and that Charlie & Scooter get a new sister. :)

BTW...most likely she is a girl as it is rather rare to get a male calico.

Keep us updated please.

ShylanHal
12-22-2007, 03:26 PM
Oh so sweet! Calico's are cute, though if you forget that she has a white underside she kind of reminds me of a tortoiseshell.

She sounds like a total sweetheart! I hope she checks out clean and dandy and that you can keep her.

Scooter's Mom
12-22-2007, 09:12 PM
1. She's not microchipped.
2. She tested negative for fiv/felv.
3. She's young - maybe 9 months old.
4. Even my vet fell in love with her!

She weighed in at 7 lbs exactly. She's so sweet!

critter crazy
12-22-2007, 09:15 PM
She's a beauty!!! Welcome to PT Jingle!!:D

jennielynn1970
12-22-2007, 09:22 PM
Oh, she's so pretty!!!! I hope she was let out by accident, otherwise I wouldn't want to give her back to someone who'd let her be coyote dinner! :eek:

She's got a gorgeous floofy tail too! Welcome to PT Jingle girl!

Medusa
12-22-2007, 09:26 PM
I so love calicos and Jingle sure looks like a sweetie. She appears to be in good shape as though she's an indoor cat, yes? Maybe she got out by accident. If someone does claim her, I'd ask that she be kept indoors. If they don't agree, maybe you can ask if you can keep her because you're right about the coyotes. I lived in Sedona for 2 years and my neighbor lost their cat to a coyote. I wouldn't want to see that happen to sweet Jingle.

Scooter's Mom
12-22-2007, 09:40 PM
She is sitting here on my desk, next to the keyboard. She's knocked all my piles of paper to the floor already, lol.

The vet said since she tested negative for the fiv/felv, all we need to worry about with my other kitties now is uri? Is that right? Otherwise she tested good on everything. The vet just said to keep her in a different room from the others for a week maybe, to watch for the URI - to keep her from spreading it if she has it or carries it.

I told my vet she'd have to stay in the garage, because I couldn't risk anything happening to the other two I have, and her face just fell and she replied, "But it's cold out there" and asked if I could isolate her in another room... lol and this is the only one with no pets in it, so here she is. The vet cuddled her and said, "Now this is a kitty I could have" and just kept cuddling her for about 5 more minutes, while we were talking. She's such a good girl.

I've not taken in any kitties (except adopting Charlie 2 years ago) for so many years, I don't know what to look for. Any tips would be welcome.

Also, is $50 too high for the fiv/felv test? I didn't have the $ for it, so had to charge it, but I just couldn't let her near my boys without knowing...

Catty1
12-22-2007, 09:46 PM
Did the vet note if she was spayed?

critter crazy
12-22-2007, 10:17 PM
50$ is what it costs me for the FIV/FELV test here. If she gets watery eyes, runny nose, and sneezes, she has a URI.

Scooter's Mom
12-22-2007, 10:23 PM
They do not think she's spayed. Recommended having her tummy shaved at a later date, to see if there is a scar. She said if the kitty was altered at a very young age, then the scar would be minimal.

Thanks Maggie, that's what I thought about the URI.

Lizzie
12-22-2007, 11:33 PM
She's a very pretty girl and I am so glad you took her in. Her weight is reasonable for her age, and she looks cared-for so your flyers might yield results. By the time someone responds, though, you might not want to give her up.

The only other thing I would be concerned about that she could transmit to your own cats, and this would depend on how much time she has spent outside, is giardia or coccidia. A poop sample to your vet would be a good idea.

The snap test itself costs very little to purchase so most of the cost is in staff time and expertise, etc. The last time I had one done, it was about $40 but I get an 8% discount at my vet for "multiple cats".

I wonder if she is going to be banging at the study door tonight because she doesn't want to spend the night alone.

jenluckenbach
12-23-2007, 06:57 AM
The things she could transmit are:
intestinal parasites (was there a stool sample done?).... Fleas (did they check her for that?)...... Ear mites (I assume they would have checked her ears at the vet's)...... URI, as mentioned..... ringworm or mange (mites) (but her fur would no doubt give you some indication that she has these)

So, let the introductions begin!! :)

catnapper
12-23-2007, 08:41 AM
What a gorgeous little lady! Sounds like your husband is a pretty wonderful pet lover :)

Freedom
12-23-2007, 08:56 AM
Hello Jingle! Wlecome to PT! You sure did pick a great household to join!

See, I am praying no one even SEES your flyers, and you get to stay put with people who love you already, lol.

Crystal, I pay $50 for the fiv/felv test at my regular vet, as well. I have since located a not for profit clinic, where it is $30. That is where I took Chaplin on Friday for his neutering. (My vet wanted $125, the not for profit did it for $40) It is a bit of a drive, and hours are limited so it wouldn't work for being my full time vet in case of sickness etc, but for the basics it is fine.

Oh Crystal, she is LOVELY!!! What a nice Christmas present; hope she is permanent.

Scooter's Mom
12-23-2007, 12:26 PM
A lady on our community website posted on 12/16 that she lost her calico kitty. I have emailed her the photos, but I do not think this is the same kitty, as her kitty Chelsey is 12-13 years old. Keep your fingers crossed. :)

Lori Jordan
12-23-2007, 04:38 PM
I have been following this thread all day.Is there an update?

She is such a pretty girl,I hope all works out for her.

Scooter's Mom
12-23-2007, 05:10 PM
The lady I emailed the photos to has not replied.
I truly believe this is not her Chelsey, as her kitty is 12-13 years old, and this one is so young.

I am so in love with "Jingle" and am going to be devastated if her owners are found.

Catty1
12-23-2007, 05:26 PM
Of course you would be devastated! I hope all works out for the best.

Unless this kitty had an unfortunate 'getting lost' accident - and HER owners are devastated too!

Hopefully Jingle Belle will have a home with you!

(Guess you aren't checking the 'lost' ads or calling shelters, right? ;) )

joycenalex
12-23-2007, 07:32 PM
crystal, you gotta keep this man. and maybe jingles too. my childhood 'friend' was named jingles

Grace
12-23-2007, 08:11 PM
A lady on our community website posted on 12/16 that she lost her calico kitty. I have emailed her the photos, but I do not think this is the same kitty, as her kitty Chelsey is 12-13 years old. Keep your fingers crossed. :)

Let them send you pictures of their missing cat. Let them describe her. That way you'll know if it is truly their cat.

cassiesmom
12-23-2007, 09:02 PM
Hello, Miss Jingle! You're so pretty!

3muttsandaboston
12-23-2007, 09:15 PM
She is a beautiful kitty and reminds me of my little Sophie. I would definatly want to keep her if I were you as well she is gorgeous and sweet kitties are always great. We adopted my dog Gracie from the pound and she came to me spayed. I could tell because I could feel her scar. It is pretty easy to feel if you just rub your fingers against her stomach.

Queen of Poop
12-23-2007, 09:17 PM
Hello Jingles. Such a sweet girl you are. I hope that you get to stay in your new home.

orangemm
12-24-2007, 04:39 AM
Pretty Jingle, you knew the right place to be at the right time! What a lovely girl she is and I hope all works out for the best.

She is very lucky she picked the right house! And, right before Christmas!!!

Let us know what happens............

shais_mom
12-24-2007, 04:43 AM
Any News?
what a GORGEOUS kitty!!!

Maya & Inka's mommy
12-24-2007, 06:38 AM
Awwwwwwwwwww, what a precious kitty!! I hope you will be able to keep her. But "IF" somebody who loves her, is missing her, I hope they will see the flyers asap. I would be devastated if my lovely cat would get lost.... :(

Lovely Jingle, you will the queen of the house!!

Scooter's Mom
12-24-2007, 09:58 AM
So far no news of her former home.
She's making herself at home here though. I am so in love with her! Even my Scooter Bug didn't react as violently as he did with Charlie kitty. He actually smelled her before calmly hissing. So that may be a good sign.

She doesn't mind Jadie. But Oreo barks at her and gives chase, so she's not overly fond of him. But she isn't violent towards him either.

I am so torn. I pray that if someone is missing her like I know I would be, they see my "found kitty" information. But at the same time I pray that I get to keep her since I have fallen head over heels for her.

Here, you can see her colors so well. I think she's gorgeous. Please don't mind the kitty hair all over my carpet! LOL
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c263/Crystal_1972/Pets/Jingle/Jingle5.jpg

orangemm
12-24-2007, 04:01 PM
I would feel exactly the same way you do. However, this is one beautifu floofy girl! She looks like a "keeper"!

krazyaboutkatz
12-24-2007, 05:07 PM
She sure is gorgeous and sounds like a sweetheart.:) I hope that you'll be able to keep her. Good luck.:)

ShylanHal
12-25-2007, 01:06 AM
She kind of reminds me of Clover, just instead of black and white, she's a calico and white... But the floofy tail and fur and perky sort of kitty persona that I'm getting from those pictures just remind me of Clover!

I just have to ask: Does she have toe floofs?

Scooter's Mom
12-25-2007, 11:18 AM
She does have little tiny bits of toe floof. Hubby was picking on her "hairy little feet" the other day.

Nobody's claimed her yet. She's fitting in here so well! She & Charlie were playing this morning. :)

Freckles
12-25-2007, 11:53 AM
I think it's time to take down the "found cat" signs.