PDA

View Full Version : Had a Scare tonight

Cookiebaker
12-21-2007, 07:23 PM
So I made baked mac&cheese for dinner tonight. While it was baking, I was sitting w/ Lydia in the kitchen, and all of a sudden I heard this sizzle like a lightning bolt. I looked over and the entire lower oven was full of fire, and then it sizzled down to nothing. It turns out, that we have a faulty lower element. I am just really glad that we were home and that I was in the kitchen when it happened, and nothing got damaged. The saddest part? I know we have a fire extinguisher *somewhere*, but I'm not sure where, or if it is even valid anymore. I know one thing I will be doing tomorrow.

Freedom
12-21-2007, 07:34 PM
I know one thing I will be doing tomorrow.

But what about dinner tonight? :D I can only say this and laugh about it because you are fine, everyone is fine, the house is OK etc.

Will you be able to just replace the element, or do you have to replace the whole thing? Is this going to impact Christmas dinner prep? Hope not.

Glad to read all is well!!

Karen
12-21-2007, 07:36 PM
Glad everyone is okay - that must have been scary!

ramanth
12-21-2007, 07:41 PM
Yikes!!! I'm so glad you are all okay and that it stayed contained. *hugs*

Cookiebaker
12-21-2007, 07:56 PM
Yay!! Mark was able to locate the needed part, and we are paying (big $$$$) just to get them to Fedex it out tomorrow, and we *should* receive it on Monday. If we don't get it, then Christmas dinner will be cancelled at our house (worst case scenario I will cook at Mark's brother's house). :( So here's hoping that Fedex will be dependable just this very once!!!!

Medusa
12-22-2007, 07:39 AM
I'm glad that all turned out well. That surely was scary. Since the part is coming by FedEx, I wouldn't be concerned. They're always been reliable for me. Happy Holidays.

IRescue452
12-22-2007, 11:13 AM
I'm glad everybody is alright. We had our element go up in flames a few years ago. New one works like a charm, but I know we were nervous the first few times we used it after that. Hopefully everything turns out fine for you as well.

Randi
12-22-2007, 11:38 AM
Uhh, that must have been scary, but I'm glad you're OK. :)

You better locate your fire extinguisher! I know from a very reliable source here on PT (Phred, of course!), that how to find out if it's still OK, you need to look at the weight of it on the bottle, then see if it's still the same weight - that's quite important!

cassiesmom
12-22-2007, 02:33 PM
Oh, no! What bad timing! I'm glad you are okay! I hope the part arrives right on schedule so you can get it fixed.

JuniorxMyxLove
12-23-2007, 04:37 PM
ack! scary! glad everyone was okay!

hope fedex comes through for you and gets you the part!