PDA

View Full Version : An update on my trials and tribulations

sasvermont
12-21-2007, 05:51 PM
Hi kids,

I am doing ok, thank you. My life is still somewhat of a mess, and I am growing used to it.

I went to visit a residence for women, on Saturday, and really liked the place. I hope to move my Mom there within the next few months. I filled out an application and now it is the sit and wait thing. It will be furnished - only 10 women, old victorian home....only about 30 minutes from my house. I have my fingers crossed.

My estimated time for leaving my current job is still 3/1/08. I have contacted a couple of companies, chatting to the appropriate persons, but it is still too early. I have lots of work to catch up on before I leave. It is the busiest time of the year for me right now. I am enjoying knowing that this is the last time for many of the things I have been doing for years.

I keep getting messages and pointers from people trying to direct me to jobs much like I have now. I don't want that...I want something different. I am not after more money or better this or that. I am totally burned out from my job. I cannot imagine doing this any longer than a couple of months. Maybe I just need a serious break.

The cats are fine. Lucy loves spending time with my Mom, downstairs. Lucy will miss her when she moves. Oh, the place where my Mom will most likely go to live, has a resident cat and two dogs visit nearly daily. Lucy has been my Mom's only companionship except for me. She isn't very friendly of a person and also, using a walker doesn't make it much fun to drag her out, especially in bad weather.

I wish everyone a Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and in general, a very loving and heartfelt wish for your good health and happiness forever.

There are some great people here - day in and day out and boy do we all appreciate it. Thank you Karen and Paul, for making it all possible.

Love to all,

Sas and her campers

Killearn Kitties
12-21-2007, 06:02 PM
I have my fingers crossed that you will be able to get a place in this home for your mum. It sounds ideal.

I am sure that just knowing you are on the last stretch at work is making things easier to cope with. You truly do sound as though you need a complete break. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and New Year, and that something good turns up for you very soon.

Medusa
12-21-2007, 06:13 PM
I wish you only the best, in your working life and in your personal life and I hope that all goes well w/your Mom. Best of everything to you both. Have a wonderful and blessed holiday. :)

kimlovescats
12-21-2007, 06:42 PM
SAS, it's nice to see you on the post but I'm sorry you are having a tough time right now!

I hope that your mom gets this new place, it sounds wonderful!!! Prayers coming for you!

Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Hugs,
Kim

Freedom
12-21-2007, 07:31 PM
Why even look for work just now? We all know you need a break! You must be getting that message, as you are GIVING it, he hee. Anyway, just enjoy the Spring and then start looking. Of course, this assumes you bank book can stand taking a 4 to 6 week break.

You DO sound better, just knowing as you say, this is the last time thouh so many of the tasks at work!

Best wishes for a wonderful Christmas!

Karen
12-21-2007, 07:35 PM
That place sounds ideal - would it mean waiting for a room to become available, or does she just need approval?

Hmm, have you done "what color is your parachute" to get ideas on what you want to do next?

Thanks for the update, you'll be in our prayers still.

Pam
12-21-2007, 07:48 PM
I'm glad to see this update. I have been thinking about you and wondering how you are. The place for your mom sounds perfect. Unfortunately good places have waiting lists. *sigh* I hope you don't have to wait too long.

It sounds like a total job change might be in order. Hey you are not too old to blaze down a new trail. I hope something will open up for you that is just perfect. I think I mentioned to you how much my SIL hates her current job (actually it is just her boss that she hates). She told me the other day she would rather be cleaning toilets in a public bathroom. Of course there was a wee bit of exaggeration in that statement but she said that she would gladly go off and do something totally different even for much less money. I hope you both find something that is rewarding and where you will once again look forward to going into work. Hang in there SAS!

moosmom
12-22-2007, 08:23 AM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and your Mom, Sallyanne. I've tried calling you but I'm sure you are very busy.

I'm praying that everything will fall into place for both you and your mom. You've been in my thoughts and prayers, honey. I'll keep trying to call to make sure you're okay.

(((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))

Donna

Barbara
12-22-2007, 02:31 PM
Good to see you here- I hope they will have a place for your mom soon.
I'll call one of these days- I have tow weeks off and as soon as I can think of anything but sleeping we can chat :)

lizbud
12-22-2007, 05:09 PM
I am glad you are feeling better about things. I do hope events all
fall into place for you. Hope your Christmas is a bright one. :)

anna_66
12-23-2007, 08:04 AM
I am glad you are feeling better about things. I do hope events all
fall into place for you. Hope your Christmas is a bright one. :)
My thoughts exactly.

Thanks for updating your situation. It definitely sounds as if things are starting to fall into place.

Good Luck.

Rachel
12-23-2007, 09:09 AM
I too have been wondering how things have been going for you. Personally, I don't think you *owe* these people anything but a two week notice. You say you have a lot of work to catch up on before you leave. It is their work, not yours. Have you been slacking off? I don't think so! If there is more to do than you have been able to keep up on, it is not your resposibility to make changes in your life to accommodate them. They obviously have not appreciated the commitment and dedication you have given over the past 8 years (or however long it has been), so your giving your all for two more months, isn't going to make a difference either.

Keep yourself open to a change of mind and schedule. The perfect job may present itself and to pass it up because of unwarranted loyality to an employer who gave you such grief would be the ultimate shame.

I do hope that the facility you spoke about for your mother will have an opening there for her soon. It does sound like a place that might meet her needs.

ChrisH
12-23-2007, 04:50 PM
Sas, it's good to hear you are doing ok, even if your life is still messy. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/Hugs2.gif

The residence you wrote about sounds ideal for your Mum, sending positive thoughts and fingers crossed it works out.

I can understand the enjoyment of knowing it's the last time you'll work at something that has become a heavy burden you wake to and dread each day. I've gone on a wing and a prayer to something else before now and survived, maybe not wealthier in monetary terms but certainly wealthier in spirit. You will too I'm sure.

Special lady, I wish you a Happy & Peaceful Christmas and a wonderful new life in the new year.

Love & hugs
Chris

sasvermont
12-23-2007, 05:39 PM
Thanks kids. I don't know what I would do without the support and positive vibes from so many kind people. It is truly appreciated.....and at this point in my life, needed to get me through.

I haven't heard any word from the residence for my Mom. They have two slots available but need to do the paperwork necessary to qualify her. I am fairly sure she will get to be one of the residents. The lady who runs the show is from the town I live in and knows the house I live in.....the old Tressler house....she remembered old Mrs. Tressler sitting on my porch, years ago. I think she, the manager, will be easy to work with, although I don't think she will do anything inappropriate application wise. Fingers crossed.

Along the same lines, I spoke with my Mom's only living sister. My Aunt Carolyn is a neat lady and is a few years younger than my Mom. She knows my Mom and has NO interest in talking with my Mom or coming to see her. My Mom is and has always been an odd duck - and doesn't enjoy friends and relationships like most people do. Anyway, my Aunt was so sweet on the phone with me and kept being SO supportive to my making the arrangements for the residential care. When we went to hang up - my Aunt, for the first time in my life, and I am 59, told me that she loved me. Gosh, it felt so good. I think some people take "love" for granted. I surely do not. I have one sister who does not talk with me...and one Aunt....and that is it....no more relatives beyond a neice and nephew living in Florida and Pennsylvania. I know I am not the only one in this spot, but it sure can feel lonely at times.

I decided not to have children some years ago, knowing that I would escape the responsibility of raising kids....but also gave up the potential relationship for later years. I shall end this sob story.

Thank you again everyone.....

Lots of love and furry hugs from Camp Vermont, including Cinnamon, living in the guest room this winter! A bunny with her own room. Go figure.

Hey, Santa is coming tomorrow night.....

lizbud
12-23-2007, 06:08 PM
(((HUGS))) :) :)

Merry Christmas SAS.

gini
12-24-2007, 01:33 PM
It seems as though Pet Talk has become a haven for all of us and how lucky we are.

In our love for animals we also have plenty of love to share with their
humans. Allow us to shower you with it.

Hugs to you Sallyanne and many blessings are wished for you this
Christmas and in the New Year.

Felicia's Mom
12-24-2007, 03:24 PM
I wish you mother well. I know what she is going through - moving to a nursing home that is.

sasvermont
01-12-2008, 11:47 AM
Hi kids.

Here is the latest.

1. I met with the assisted living person where my Mom is going....not too far from where I live right now....We met yesterday, with my Mom being here....and we discussed moving my Mom soon. Soon= this coming week. It is a matter of packing her suitcase. There has still not be a 100% approval from the licensing folks, so I am not moving my Mom until that has been accomplished/completed. It has nothing to do with me and everything to do with the facility. My Mom will not and does not remember having ever talked about this, so she will have to go through the surprise of this conversation all over again, when I do the actual move. I hope for this to be done with by Friday, at the latest.

2. Work is work. They have begun advertising for my position and have had meetings galore. They even asked if I would sit in on the interviews. I said thanks but no thanks. My office is cleared of all my personal effects, since I know they will not hesitate to fire my butt at any point. I have seen this happen earlier in the year.....just not with someone holding as many cards as I hold....I am not holding them ransome either. I have documented all my work product for the last few weeks, trying to make it a bit easier on the person coming in. I feel sorry for the person, but hey, what can I say. It is not the first time someone has left a horrible position, only to have a new body arrive - totally prepared to take on a crew of nut-cases. I am over it.

3. I have applied for a couple of jobs within my community. It is still a bit early for applications, as I want a position in the middle or toward the bottom of the ladder, not management etc. Most of these folks do not give 3 months notice...like I did. I have heard back from one that is promising but was told to check back when I get closer to the end of my current employmet....2/29/08.

So, life is still stressed for me, just not quite as overwhelming as it was. There is light at the end of the tunnel. I am not worry free by any means, just not as worried. I do have lots of concerns about how to make ends meet without taking money from my retirement accounts. I am old, just not that old quite yet, to start drawing on social security or retirement. Oh well. Life has a way of working out regardless of how hard you try or not try. I am trying to think this through before it even happens. Not possible.

I trust that everyone else has gone through rough times and made it to the other side. Life is like that. (((((((((((((((Pet Talk People)))))))))))))))

Love,
Sas and her brats...aka...The Campers

Karen
01-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Sounds like things are moving in the right direction.

Can you write a note with your mom and put it some place where she will see it every day about the upcoming move? I did that with Aunt Bertha, and to my surprise, moving day went without a hitch. I was stunned. But we had written that note together, and looked at it every day and read it aloud - maybe we somehow moved it into longer-term memory, I will never know.

sasvermont
01-12-2008, 01:22 PM
Karen, the suggestion you made sounds right but you have to know my Mom to know that her memory loss is a bit of a blessing in many cases. The last time we moved her from assisted living to my house, I wrote her a note and all she did was worry and write note after note to me about what she thought she should have me do. I am a highly organized person and I think it just added more stress for me, to an already stressful sitatuation. She will have little stress until the move, if she just doesn't know about it or remember it..... I know I cannot have it both ways.....but actually would prefer her stress be kept down, day wise. She has already had three strokes....among other things.....I am hoping this will be her last move.

My Mom is tough in many ways. She is very lucky to have someone still caring for her health and welfare. I will not be so lucky, as I have no children and few relatives. I will most likely be a ward of the state when I am her age. I am trying to hang on to my health, both physical and mental, long enough to get her through to the other side. She may just out live me!

Thanks for your thoughtfulness Karen. It is always appreciated.

Freedom
01-12-2008, 05:28 PM
Well, that is a huge step. I've not been through this particular one but I suspect, don't expect a feeling of relief the day after Mom moves. More a bit of a low, I expect.

It is good that youa re taking steps to improve your life. And caring for your Mom in the bargain. Hang in there.

Barbara
01-13-2008, 06:17 AM
Sallyanne I send {{{{{warmest hugs}}}}}.
Just like you I believe you have incredible hard times sometimes and somehow they will work themselves out if you do your best- and you do!
You are just such a good reliable person- I would hire you for any job here anytime and I know there will be people who recognize that and you will have a better job again.
Not to talk about your mom- we have been through that in detail last summer when we came to see you.

Pam
01-13-2008, 07:15 AM
her memory loss is a bit of a blessing

I know very well what you mean when you say that. Although my Mom knows me most of the time when I visit (or at least a portion of the time while I am there) she doesn't get upset when I leave like she used to when she had her complete memory. The thing that matters most to me is that she is in no pain and is treated with respect. She says she is pain free (thank God) and I have come to know the caregivers there, and they are all very compassionate and loving.

It seems to me, and those of us here who know you, that you have gone the extra mile to check out this facility and the fact that you live so close will give you an advantage to be able to check in on her frequently.

Sallyanne I completely agree with Barbara's remarks. You are a good person and you have a good head on your shoulders and lots of smarts. There is something out there for you I just know it.

In the meantime just rest in knowing that you have finally taken the steps to a better life - steps that have worried and scared you for so long. I love your comments in point #2. Soon someone else will be dealing with the nutcases! Please do keep us updated as to how your mom adjusts to the move this week.

((((hugs))))

sasvermont
01-22-2008, 01:28 PM
I am moving my Mom to the assisted living place at 1PM this Thursday. Then the dismantling of her apartment begins. It seems as though I just finished putting it all together for her. Oh well.

Five more weeks here at the job. Things are ok. They are struggling with the change, but hey, I don't give a (*&^ anymore and find it rather humorous. I will begin looking for a new livelyhood soon. I am planning a minor vacation between jobs.

Life goes on....just not as smoothly as I had hoped. I am fine though.

Peace.

SAS and her campers
;)

Randi
01-22-2008, 01:35 PM
Sallyanne, I'm glad to hear you managed to get that place for your mom, that's one problem solved. :) Hope the move goes smoothly!

A vacation in between jobs sounds like an excellent idea, and I bet you need it too! I'll keep my fingers crossed that you find the perfect job.

ChrisH
01-22-2008, 01:47 PM
Sas, glad to hear your Mum got in, hope the move goes well.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/Hugs2.gif

Prayers & good thoughts continuing.

Barbara
01-22-2008, 02:10 PM
Sallyanne- that is good to hear- even when it has been less than a year you put that lovely apartment for your mom together.
You know what I would recommend for a short vacation between jobs ;)

Felicia's Mom
01-22-2008, 03:47 PM
Glad you found an assisted living place for your mom.

Freedom
01-22-2008, 04:07 PM
Oooh, a vacation! Some of my BEST vacations have been between jobs. You don't worry about that return to a desk piled high with a week's worth of stuff. Ha haa. And yes, I have taken several with no job lined up to return to at all.

Best wishes with the moving on Thursday.

lizbud
01-22-2008, 04:24 PM
Life goes on....just not as smoothly as I had hoped. I am fine though.

Peace.

SAS and her campers
;)

You are doing a whole lot. This all can be physically & emotionaly
demanding, so give youtself credit for that. :) I's good to know things
are starting to fall into place for you. :)

NoahsMommy
01-22-2008, 04:32 PM
Sweet SAS,

I'm sp sorry I didn't see this thread until this afternoon. I wish I'd seen it and had been able to offer my support sooner. You've been such an amazing friend to me, I'd so love to return the favor.

I'm sorry about all the emotions you're going through with your mom. Even if your mom was sweeter than sweet, it would still be so hard. You know its the best place for her, but having to move anyone is hard, moving someone to a care home is harder. It sounds so wonderful though! She'll love the resident kitty...they'll find it missing and end up finding your mom and kitty in bed together cuddling or sitting out in the sun together. Just watch... :) And getting to have all the fun of dogs, but not the hard part like picking up after them, maintence and financial responsibilities - sounds like the perfect dawg to me!! And she'll get to visit with TWO of them. Wait, this place, its peaceful and quiet and in Vermont? Hmmmm.....they have another place left you say? Maybe they'll take ME! Then you can come visit me and your mom! ;)

All joking aside, it DOES sound like a really nice place. The good thing about the short-term memory loss is that she wont remember the shock for very long. I'll be praying it all goes smoothly...I'm sure it will. We'll have all our prayers and good thoughts coming your way, it just has to go well. I'm sure that when its all overwith, you'll feel as though a weight has been lifted. This is a lot for one person to have to organize and deal with.

If there is anything I can do, please let me know.

I wish you lots of luck in finding your next job...I think its great that you've realized what you are doing isn't what you need or want to be doing - and you have the courage to change that. I just know the next place you work will be so happy to have you, and they'll be LUCKY!

So, a mini-vacation, huh? Anywhere tropical?? Somewhere local?? I can't wait to hear...you so deserve it, SAS.

Hugs,
Kelly & Kitties xoxoxoxo

Pam
01-22-2008, 04:36 PM
One situation almost rectified and one in progress. Sallyanne I know you will come through this asking yourself why you didn't do it sooner.

Peace to you my friend and thank you for the update. I hope your mini vacation will help to recharge your batteries. :) Thanks for letting us know how you are doing.

Rachel
01-22-2008, 05:24 PM
This obviously is the first piece that is falling into place. The others are due to follow in an orderly fashion. Thanks for keeping us up on the situation. We really do care.

Catty1
01-22-2008, 08:26 PM
*hugs*

You are taking care of yourself...I have a feeling things will fall together wonderfully for you and your mom too. :)

sasvermont
01-25-2008, 08:03 PM
Hi kids,

I took my Mom to the assisted living place just yesterday. It all ran smoothly and I was asked not to return for a week, to give her time to settle in. I feel so guility, just leaving her, but there is a plus side to having such freedom to come and go now.

My employers have hired someone to replace me. I cannot wait to give up the crown. I hope they give me a break and have me over lap only two the first two weeks of February and pay me to leave for the last two. I think they want to see this over with too. It isn't good for office morale to keep me (the new smiling me) around the place. Things are falling apart before me, job wise. They are at each other's throats. One partner called two nights ago (before they officially hired the new person) and said that one of the attorneys promised to behave himself and increase his medication, if I would stay. When asked the following day about why I didn't return the message, I said that it was "funny, and made me laugh" and I didn't need to return the call. My mind was made up!".....

I have been lucky and rented my Mom's apartment 4.1.08! I have sold and given away lots of the furniture....and have about a day's worth of work to clean out the small items and organize what is left, for sorting out, this spring when it is warmer out.

So things are running on schedule. Gosh. I feel sooooo much better. I still have to land a job, but having lots of these things just about behind me, I feel as though I have lost tons of weight! Weight off the shoulders!

Here's to progress!

Thanks for listening.

Sas and her campers :eek: :eek: :cool: :D

Medusa
01-25-2008, 09:34 PM
Progress is right. You're taking care of your mom and yourself and you're "taking care of business", so to speak, at the same time. You owe yourself a big "Whew!" when it's all finished. You're doing a great job.

krazyaboutkatz
01-25-2008, 10:02 PM
SAS, I'm so glad to hear that things are going well for you.:) I'm sure that you won't have any problems finding a new job but hopefully it'll be one that you enjoy. Good luck.:)

Logan
01-25-2008, 10:02 PM
Sallyanne, I never knew what your specific job was, but I sure hope they paid you alot for putting up with that mess. Geez.

Best of luck to you. You are going to be just fine and your mom is too. :) I'm sending you my best wishes.

Logan

NoahsMommy
01-25-2008, 10:51 PM
To the Campers at Camp Vermont,

Please go give your mommy a kiss and some nose rubbies at least 5 times a day. While the worst is behind, she still needs your love and reassurance - and she can get it from you, but also through her PT Family through your cute little bodies, OK??

Thank you, sweet fuzzies.

Love, Kelly & Kits

Dearest SallyAnne,

Things are really shaping up for you and I'm so glad! :) (((((((((SAS))))))))) I'm sure your mom is going to love her new place. The first time you go for a visit, she's going to be excited about her own new digs and be happy to get to show you, her daughter and favorite visitor. Make sure and fill us in on her furry co-resident, the live-in cat. :)

I'm so happy that the worst is behind you. I know you don't want to stay, but its nice to be and feel wanted, right? The next hurdle wont be a hurdle at all, you're going to find the best job, and it'll be perfect for you.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers...

Hugs & Love,
Kelly and the furballs :)

gini
01-25-2008, 11:49 PM
You are so......."on the right track"............I couldn't be happier for you.

Karen
01-26-2008, 12:22 AM
Gosh the next week will be so hard, not just popping over to "check in" - I don;t know that I could have waited that long when we moved Aunt Bertha into the nursing home, but as we have noted, her memory problems were different than your mom's are. But I bet your mom will settle right in. My tip for visiting loved ones in a nursing home-type place: bring fresh flowers. Staff are more likely to visit the room to enjoy them with her, and she'll love the company!

Catty1
01-26-2008, 12:54 AM
{{{{hugs}}}} Glad to hear you are feeling better! I am sure you will need to decompress for a while.

Get a Greyhound North America pass and take off for a month! :)

Rachel
01-27-2008, 06:47 AM
Progress is right! There still will be hurdles but none that will impede your determination. The good life lies ahead somewhere and by golly, girl, you are going to find it. That call from the lawyer imploring you to stay was priceless. I truly would have been disappointed had that one not come in. However, I agree, that it is probably much too late to teach these old dogs new tricks - like treating people with decency and respect.

Now the next phase will be seeing if the new person is able to tolerate the craziness long enough for you to get out the door. I have absolutely no worries that you will find a great job with people who will appreciate your skills and dedication. Cheers and celebrate taking control.

Much love to your mom. That one is still going to be a difficult journey, but the main thing is that she is safe and well cared for. You've done good.

Pam
01-27-2008, 07:05 AM
My employers have hired someone to replace me. I cannot wait to give up the crown.

I love the line about giving up the crown. Oh if the new person only had a clue as to what is in store for her.... :rolleyes:

I have been lucky and rented my Mom's apartment 4.1.08! I have sold and given away lots of the furniture....and have about a day's worth of work to clean out the small items and organize what is left, for sorting out, this spring when it is warmer

You are doing a super job Sallyanne. Everything you are doing has been very well thought out and methodical. I, too, have gone through the breaking down of my mom's apartment and you are wise to not rush through. You have the time, and you don't want to discard something and then wish you hadn't. I had one month to empty out Mom's apartment and it was hard, both physically and emotionally. Thank you again for keeping us updated. It is all good and will be even better once you find the perfect job and..... it is out there! ;)

Freedom
01-27-2008, 08:58 AM
I am so pleased. You thought this through, got ideas, made a plan, followed through and even though it has been a long haul full of emotions, you are definitely seeing "the light at the end of the tunnel." Bless you for all the work you have done for your Mom. now you will a bit more time to focus on you; and the fur kids!

Pam
02-03-2008, 09:30 AM
Sallyanne I am thinking of you and wondering if you have had a chance to visit with your mom since the "settling in time" is just about up. If so, how did she seem? I hope all continues to be well with you in this area as well as the job search.

sasvermont
02-03-2008, 12:25 PM
I visited my Mom, a couple of days ago, on Thursday after work, at her new residence and she was thriving. They (the staff) said she was doing nicely, and having a good time of it. I thought she would adjust to the new surroundings easily, as her room is near everything, including the bathroom right next to her bedroom. She must share a bath with another woman, but that's ok. She did not recognize me when I first arrived which broke my heart but then after a few minutes she did say "oh, I didn't recognize you with your hair short"....and I've had my hair short for months now. Oh well. I haven't had long hair for years.

My employer is having me begin to train the new person and my replacement beginning Monday. I hope they let me go after just two weeks of one on one, if not sooner. I am not being very cooperative with the staff etc. at this point, responding to most requests with "gee, that's not going to be my problem soon".... I think by giving them SO much notice of my leaving, it is beginning to drag on the staff's outlook, as well as the attorney's outlooks. They need to get some new blood in there soon, as establish new relationships with her.... Her name is Linnie. Oh well. She seems like a nice enough of a person, but doesn't have the legal experience, which I think is the most important part. Oh well again. Not my problem. The relationship is over when I leave the place on my last day. I have already let them know not to call me.

A new tenant moved in to my Mom's apartment already! (The other person backed out of the lease for April first and the second person wanted the place ASAP!) She moved in on Friday, the first of February! It was a lot of work for me to get all of my Mom's things out of there in such short notice, but hey, I got it done! I gave quite a few things away and kept a few and sold a few. I had to be flexible since time was passing quickly. So success with the Mom/apartment move.

I have been asked to come in for an interview with the one company in South Hero that I applied to in December. At that time, the owner and I talked on the phone and she requested that I call her when I got closer to my departure time. I did contact her via email, and she responded with a "please call me for an interview". Woohoo! It won't pay much, but it is only a couple of miles from my home. I could walk to the place. It is a small import/export business. She said I could wear my PJs to work, since there is no store front etc. I wonder if my nightgowns would be hard to walk in...... :D while trotting down the side of the road? No sidewalks here.

So that is my story at this point. The job thing is just about ending. Still looking for a job, but have far from given up. I haven't really starting looking seriously.

Thanks for thinking of me. I know that my life isn't nearly as complicated as some folks. I have it easy.

Lucy misses my Mom. I don't, for the most part. It is a relief knowing that someone is looking after her and that she is around folks her age and her degree of needs.

Love to all,
Sas and her campers :)

Medusa
02-03-2008, 12:48 PM
That's all wonderful and positive news. I'm so glad that things are working out for you and I'm sure that you'll find the right job w/just the right pay for you very soon. :)

Pam
02-03-2008, 12:55 PM
Thank you for the update Sallyanne. I so heartily agree with the following statement as I felt the same way when I had to face the fact that my mom needed to be in assisted living.

It is a relief knowing that someone is looking after her and that she is around folks her age and her degree of needs.

While agreeing totally with that, I understand there may be a bit of guilt as I do live with some of that too. In a perfect world it would be different perhaps, but we deal with the cards we are dealt. My mom too, often does not recognize me. Eventually during the course of the visit she does, though, and has often commented on my *new* hairdo or *new* glasses which are really not new at all. (((hugs))) to you as you go through all of this. It is sooooo not easy.

I am laughing at the thought of you in a nightgown heading off to the job! :D As I have said many times, your sense of humor will carry you through. I will keep my fingers crossed for your interview. What could be better than a place of employment being so close by? At the present cost of gas, you could probably take a sizable pay cut and not even feel it! :p

Congrats also on the new tenant and the hasty job you had to do in getting the apartment ready. Once again you have risen to the occasion and no one here is surprised. Continued good luck and best wishes for the future. I know it will be a good one for you! :cool: Please keep us updated! :)

Catty1
02-03-2008, 02:50 PM
I am so glad to hear your mom is "thriving"; I wonder if she and Pam's mom mention the "new glasses" or "haircut" to cover up their forgetfulness? Like - these women still KNOW they forget, and are embarrassed (that's my own KID! OMG! Cover up! :) )

A jammie job? LOL Sounds cute.

You know - that might just be the ticket for a while if you can afford it. Sounds like a smaller company and less stress (after the learning curve is over).

HUGS! Good news all around!

Freedom
02-03-2008, 02:58 PM
Just checking in. Glad to read that you are still on track. How nice that things seem Ok with your mom; that certainly helps for you. And a tenant already -- that was quick! Praying that the person works out and stays for a few YEARS to give you time to concentrate on other stuff.

Wasn't there a mini vacation mentioned at some point???

sasvermont
02-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Well, I have had an interesting week. On Monday, "the new person" started and lasted until Friday, 8:30 and then quit. Another person, male this time, will begin on the 20th, or at least that was told to me late Friday. I get to do the "training thing" again, oh boy. The person originally hired was hardly qualified for the position and had the brains to quit before things got too far in front of her and behind me. I am still leaving on the 29th of Feb. Why does all this not surprise me?

The new tenant is really sweet. I am keeping my distance until spring....when we can spend time outside and chat freely. Heather, the new tenant has a little dogie, really sweet guy.... she smokes(the person, not the dog).....sorry, if that offends anyone, the smoking thing.....and since I smoked for years, years ago, I can hardly say its wrong.... She smokes outside....on the porch! Oh well. Lots of folks smoke. All things considered, she's a nice person....and I love her little furry friend. Lucy is not impressed.

I have interviewed for the job I have wanted from day one (working for an import export company, that deals with vet orthro implants imported from Germany and Japan....) of making my career change. I think I have the job, but don't want to seem tooooo eager to work there, and make a pest of myself. During my interview, I said that I really was interested in the job. I got the impression the interview went smoothly. It is a business in the same town I live in, thus allowing me to travel less than 2 miles to work. I am not sure I will call them again, if they don't call me. I will need to move on with the job search if they are not "business like" and let me know their thoughts/feelings about hiring me. We have emailed and chatted and interviewed. What more could I do. My current boss (the managing partner) knows I have listed her as a reference and was evening will to call the company, to recommend me. Wow. I know the managing partner has a motive, so I could care less about references or not from her.

I have "re-ignited" my knitting business so that I can pay for group health insurance via the company. I have a meeting with my accountant on the 21 to discuss the mess and the positive way to deal with my expenses.

It is snowing like crazy right now...and I have dinner plans...so I must run.

Just wanted everyone to know that things are ok. A bit scary, to think that I have only three more paydays, beyond this past Friday. And then, to the positive side, just that many more days left at that awful law firm. It is torture working there now. But they pay me nicely. I feel like a prostitute.

And my Mom is thriving. She is enjoying having company 24/7. I just knew she would be fine. I am thrilled, to say the least.

L,
Sas and her campers

lizbud
02-09-2008, 04:32 PM
It all sounds great for you SAS. I am so happy for you. :)

Pam
02-10-2008, 12:23 PM
Well, I have had an interesting week. On Monday, "the new person" started and lasted until Friday, 8:30 and then quit.

Boy does this sound familiar. My office seems to have a swinging door. If the boss isn't firing people, they leave of their own accord. Our latest girl, who was quite good, quit two weeks ago. Her attitude seemed to change after she got her 90 day review. Honestly, it does make you wonder how firms/medical practices survive the kind of nonsense that goes on. Good for the girl. She got out while the gettin' was good.

she smokes(the person, not the dog).....

haha! Glad to hear that the dog has not taken up the habit. :D Maybe in time you might be able to share some pictures of your new canine co-tenant. Trevor and Andy send their condolences to Lucy. I am sure they would rather I brought two more cats into the fold than two dogs. :)

I think I have the job,

Hooray! Fingers and toes are all crossed. I hope that if this is where you are meant to be that all of the pieces will come together!

And my Mom is thriving.

You can't ask for more! I know this gives you enormous peace.

Thank you for the updates. I/we look forward to more in the future and wish you only the best!!!

Logan
02-10-2008, 12:45 PM
Sallyanne, I don't comment every time you update, but I sure have been interested in how things are going for you. I'm so glad that at least the concerns about your mother are out of the way now. Isn't it great that she is thriving, already, in her new home?

I do wish you all the best. I hope that everything is going to work out for you soon so that you can put the paycheck worry out of your mind next.

I know a ton of people who would gladly be good references for you! ;)

Best of luck.
Logan

Rachel
02-10-2008, 04:07 PM
More and more pieces falling into place for you. The right job will be there for you too...one that pays sufficiently and has all the benefits you need along with a amicable working environment.

As long as you are considering ways to bring in extra income, how about writing a novel...say set in a small law office environment? I just watched the Nanny Diaries on DVD which was loosely based on the experiences of the author(s) as a nanny if I remember correctly. I'm thinking that you've got a much better tale to tell. The bits and pieces we've been exposed to here are riviting to say the least.

Pam
02-10-2008, 04:41 PM
As long as you are considering ways to bring in extra income, how about writing a novel...say set in a small law office environment? I just watched the Nanny Diaries on DVD which was loosely based on the experiences of the author(s) as a nanny if I remember correctly. I'm thinking that you've got a much better tale to tell. The bits and pieces we've been exposed to here are riviting to say the least.

Rachel has a good idea there! :) I picture a novel that would ultimately wind up on TV as a series - sort of like The Office. :D You could even play yourself! Now there is a lucrative career! ;)

sasvermont
03-01-2008, 02:51 PM
I worked today, until 2:30. I have "trained" the new person, and I hope to have this job behind me. If I never hear from any of them, it will be too soon. I am exhausted.

I have not landed a new job as I really haven't spent any time looking. The vet implant place hired the part time person, full time. It just wasn't meant to be.

I will take a little time for myself and then re-evaluate the situation. I feel a vacation coming on, soon. I have to be very careful with my money, so a mini vacation, should be just fine. Maybe Montreal.

I hope to wake up tomorrow, with a renewed sense of self. I am going to consider myself on a long, long weekend. I have promised myself to never stay in any job, ever again, when it starts to go south.

Lots of "I"s in this post, eh?

Thank you for listening.

Tomorrow is a new day. Life is or can be short, so I plan to improve "on it" ;) !

Pam
03-01-2008, 03:06 PM
Sallyanne I was just thinking this morning of posting to this thread and asking how you were doing. Glad the crazy place is behind you. A mini vacation sounds terrific. Who will watch the campers while you are gone? I hope things are continuing to go well for your mom. Thanks for checking in. :)

Barbara
03-01-2008, 03:09 PM
Sallyanne I missed some of your updates- I am very sorry.
I keep my fingers crossed. Too bad your vacation can't get you over here!

Randi
03-01-2008, 03:36 PM
This is great news, Sallyane! You can finally relax and think about what to do next, you'll have time to yourself now, and time to look for jobs without panicking - enjoy your weekend!

I'm also glad to hear you mom likes her new place.

A mini vacation sounds like a very good idea. It'll do you good to get away from it all!

All the best of luck!

Catty1
03-01-2008, 04:25 PM
Sallyanne - it's great to read a lot of "I"'s in a post from you. It's been everyone and everything else up to now. YOUR TURN! :)

There's a PTr in Montreal also - so that might be a nice idea.

jennielynn1970
03-01-2008, 04:32 PM
I'm so glad that you got out of your job on your time table! Gotta love when they keep wanting to keep you there to train the new person.

I think some time off might be really good for you. Rest, relax, rejuvenate... you deserve that.

I'll be thinking of you, and hope that things go well. Look forward to reading more positive updates! Big hugs to you!

gini
03-01-2008, 04:37 PM
Have you ever noticed that "I" comes before "U" in the alphabet?

"I" cannot do anything for "U" unless "I" am in a good place mentally.

Enjoy your mini-vacation - you deserve it.

Medusa
03-01-2008, 04:41 PM
Have you ever noticed that "I" comes before "U" in the alphabet?

"I" cannot do anything for "U" unless "I" am in a good place mentally.

Enjoy your mini-vacation - you deserve it.
Boy, do I ever like that philosophy! And Sallyanne, listen to it. You deserve it. I have followed your post somewhat and I can tell ya, you need some R&R. Take it. And tell us all about it when you get back.

lizbud
03-01-2008, 04:55 PM
I'm so glad to hear everthings going well for you. You do sound so much
better &" brighter" now in your updates. :) Enjoy your vacation, you deserve it.

Rachel
03-02-2008, 04:35 PM
Like the others, I too was wondering how everything has transpired as you wound down your involvement. What is most important is that you made it though these last months and now can have the opportunity to explore any or all options which come your way - including that mini vacation.

Happy days are here again, the sky is full of cheer again...

sasvermont
03-25-2008, 07:41 AM
Relaxation is #1 on my daily routine. Right now (8:30 AM) I am on the sofa, laptop on the lap, watching the news, Lucy is resting on my right arm as I type and I am figuring out my easy schdule for the day.

I am still officially unemployed. I am working part time for my accountant (tax person), filling in for the two employees she uses during tax season. Both employees have had doctor and vet appointments galore, so I have had a fair amount of time filling in.... I have also been taking care of my own doctor appointments, new glasses etc. so that when I do get to the point of full time employment, many of the maintenance for me will have already been taken care of....for awhile.

I am also doing some "house sitting" and have two more jobs between April 1st and April 30th. The house sitting thing I can do while working full time, so that is no problem.

I have retirement arrangements but I don't see myself totally retired at this point. I still have my mitten business and plan to activate that a bit more and start selling those darn mittens! I am doing ok.

I have heard from my former employer a couple of times, via voice messages, but have not chosen to return the calls. Boy do I not miss them.

So, in general, I am taking it easy, looking at new jobs as they blow by, working part time, being careful with my spendings and enjoying my pets! I am planning my garden for the spring (assuming the ice will melt by then)....reading, doing Sudodu puzzles....reading more.....sleeping in.....such a luxury.

I did go on a mini vacation to Pennsylvania a couple of weeks ago, for several days. I ended up in Lancaster County. I have a friend there so the time was filled with lots of comfort and family. The farms in the area of Lancaster are works of art.

Love,
SAs :D

Pam
03-25-2008, 08:53 AM
Your day sounds so relaxing that I find myself yawning. :D Sallyanne I wish I had known you were in Pennsylvania. Robyn and I surely would have loved to see you. Let us know next time, OK? I am glad things are going so well. Enjoy these days of luxury. ;) Hope your mom is doing well too.

Freedom
03-25-2008, 12:27 PM
Oh what a change in your posting from about 4 months back! Wonderful, you definitely needed this time to regroup, rest up, and spend time with the furkids! I am HAPPY for you!

Rachel
03-25-2008, 05:34 PM
My goodness, you have been reading my mind again. I was just thinking about you today and wondering how things have been going. Sounds like all is right with the world. Good for you. I'm enjoying the fact that you didn't return those phone calls. Now who's in charge! HA

Vermontcat
03-25-2008, 07:06 PM
Sas, it's good to hear that you finally got some time to relax. :)
It's nice to hear that you got to go to PA for a little vacation.
I'm surprised that you didn't fit in any Pet Talk meetings while you were down there.
I'm making plans to meet with Cookiebaker on April 12th. We'd both love it if you can join us.
Let me know if you're interested in a little PT meeting with us. :)

Christiansmommy
03-25-2008, 08:28 PM
Yes, SAS, believe it or not, I am only 40 minutes from Lancaster. Next time your around, I would love to have you over, or we could take you to lunch! Glad you are relaxing...sounds very peaceful at your place. Good for you :)

Pam
08-03-2008, 07:10 AM
I know this thread is very old, but I have been thinking about you a lot lately and possibly others have as well. How have you been? Can you give us an update? I think it's time to dust off this thread. :)

sasvermont
08-03-2008, 09:25 AM
Thanks for thinking of me Pam. I am fine. I am trying to land a full time job in some other area of work. I am not going at it with as much enthusiasm as I could, as I am doing little part time jobs for friends...i.e. child sitting, house sitting, house painting (all under the table, if you will). I came close to landing a job with a dentist's office. I was over qualified.....according to them. I really thought it was going to fly, but oh well. Something will work out.

Right now I am living on savings, earning a wee bit of money, keeping the spending to food, gas, and overhead only. I am running low on cash right now and within the next month, I need to get a full time job. I refuse to live on credit.

My Mom is OK. She is still in the living facility in St. Albans. I see her a couple of times a week. They are being very nice to her but have not done her any favors by allowing her to gain 25 pounds in less than six months. She is now on insulin as a result of gaining the weight. At this point, she is OK with insulin, so that works for me too. I went to see her last night and didn't have the best of visits. She has short term memory loss and didn't remember that several of her brothers and sisters had died years ago. Each time I tell her, she gets upset all over again. I have tried just not saying anything and then she says that they never call her...and asks why. It's a no win situation.

The cats are fine. Juni recovered from her dental proceedures and the other two critters are fine. Lucy still loves to go outside when I do my lawn work. Right now we have had rain several days in a row - so we all have cabin fever.

I have heard from a couple of the jokers I worked with. I didn't return the calls. I did answer the phone the other night when my former boss, Julie, called. We did the small talk thing for several minutes. She mentioned that the guy who eventually took my position, left after three months (but they really loved him)....and now they have a new person and after two weeks, they really love her too! Julie also told me the person I worked most closely with, left the firm a week ago. My comment was "oh, he was such an integral part of the firm"....... Chris was a great co-worker and worked very closely and nicely with me. I swore if he ever left the firm, I would too. I beat him to it. Chris was the kid I had adopt the kitty I found on the road. We will always have that connection. I haven't talked to Chris, but figure he had enough of them too.

Thanks for thinking of me. I am doing fine, although a little worried about living out the rest of my working world time, in a less than highly paid fashion. Pensions and retirement funds just aren't what they had been....it's down right scary to think that the economy is what it is......and getting worse.

I am off all medications and no longer see a therapist. I am relaxed and waiting for the next chapter of my life to begin........

:love:

Sas and her campers

Barbara
08-03-2008, 11:01 AM
Sallyanne, if the economy has no place for you there is something even more seriously wrong with it than I thought before. People should get over that "over-qualified" thing. If you put up with it they should too. I keep my fingers crossed and Filou and Tigris said they will do it too.
Love and hugs, also to my favorite girl kitties.

DJFyrewolf36
08-03-2008, 11:43 AM
"Overqualified" :rolleyes: I hate hearing that excuse from people that don't want to hire me.
Im glad your life is going a wee bit better though, dispite minor setbacks. Good luck in your job search!
*HUGS* and prayers on the way that things keep getting better for you.

Medusa
08-03-2008, 11:50 AM
Yes, the "overqualified" excuse has been used to death. However, your attitude is so positive and cheerful that I just know the Universe has something glorious and wonderful in store for you. I wish you and yours the best in life. :)

Edwina's Secretary
08-03-2008, 12:04 PM
SallyAnne - Add me to the list of those who dislike the term "overqualified". At least one court has ruled it is a euphemism for "Old". And how silly the concept -- we want the very best qualified candidate for the job -- as long as they are not TOO qualified. I talk about it when I do training on the regulatory enviornment with human resource professionals. Why would you not want someone who is over-qualified??? I hear all the excuses -- they will leave, be bored, want more money, etc. Things that never occur with the "underqualified." :rolleyes: Once in a while someone will admit it is because the candidate might take their job!

My husband recently changed jobs. He wanted something without the stress and pressures that he had for many years. He found a job he wanted and got the "overqualified" response.

He went back at them with a list of reasons why he should be hired -- over-qualifed or not. He addressed what he assumed to be their concerns (salary, longevity, etc) and was hired.

I wish you luck and if there is anything I can do to help...please let me know.

Pam
08-03-2008, 12:50 PM
SAS thanks for checking in. Your note as always is upbeat and I am glad that you are having a restful time while you wait for some type of regular employment. You are correct when you say "something will work out." I am very confident that it will. Let's just say that after your past experience I can see why you might be extremely careful the next time.

:rolleyes: Once in a while someone will admit it is because the candidate might take their job!

Isn't that the truth. I think that is probably a major problem for some employers!

I'm glad that things are humming smoothly in Camp Vermont with all furry campers doing well and your mom doing reasonably well in her new environment. Weight gain I think comes with the territory when one goes into such a facility. My mom has also put on weight. Physical inactivity plays a large part. How many calories can you burn off playing Bingo? I too am dealing with my mom's memory loss and she has progressed maybe a little past where you mom is now and confesses to me that she just can't remember things. Unfortunately she does seem to retain sad news and events from long ago, rather than recent happenings, so I have tried to avoid anything that can lead to such a conversation. Her one remaining sister died last July and I have never told her. :(

It seems that there is quite a revolving door at your old place. That in itself speaks volumes. I think that you might have showed Chris how to walk out that door and maybe even gave him the courage to make that move. Keep your chin up. You are one smart gal and somewhere out there is a position where you will shine and get that cash flow going again. (((Hugs))) to you and your furry crew!

Freedom
08-03-2008, 03:53 PM
So nice to hear from you!

My Dad has been diagnosed with dementia, I've been reading up what to expect. Most say don't try to bring them back to the present, just upsets them (as you saw with your mom.) If she brings up a person who is deceased, you may try redirecting to a positive memory of the person, asking when she saw them last, or saying "wasn't he funny at the --party (birthday, Christmas, if you knew the person) and get her talking on a more upbeat note.

Your summary left me curious as to WHERE CHRIS moved to, job wise! Maybe it is worth looking him up? Just a thought.

You are right, the next chapter in your life is just waiting to be written . . . . Glad you are working on enjoying the wait! :)