PDA

View Full Version : Lacey passed "Basic Manners!"

Freedom
12-18-2007, 08:28 PM
Tonight was the last class. Lacey has passed her Basic Manners class, hooray!

I want to get her in Agility eventually. Although she could start that class next, the instructor recommended she take Beyond the Basics next, so I signed us up for that next.

Lacey made SO much progress in 6 weeks (the 1st class was owners only). Her first class, she kept jumping up into my lap and couldn't focus on a thing. Tonight, she sat politely next to my chair and watched as the others went through the course, then did her thing when it was her turn.

Class included a 3 year old greyhound, a 2 year old greyhound (both retired racers, adopted by the same couple), 7 mos. old Malamute, 8 months old Westie, and 1 year old brindle Cairn terrier. There were others the first 3 weeks but they all dropped out. At 5 years old, Lacey was the "old lady!"

Lacey refuses to do a "down" (as in lie down.) The instructor believes this is due to her concern with the other dogs around. She will sit, about the umpteenth time I ask her. :rolleyes:

Lacey knew loose leash walking before class. She has mastered heel, stand, wait, watch me, will "leave it" but grudgingly, and has about 75% recall. She knows 'turn' but hasn't got 'spin' yet. (turning in a circle, turn is to the right, spin to the left.)

In some classes, we would all do exercises simultaneously, in others we took turns. In one class we introduced the tire / tube to the dogs. And tonight was an intro to Rally. Commands on cards set out on the floor in a 'route' to follow. Used pet food bowls for "weave poles," which was hilarious. Didn't matter how many times we went through, some of the dogs just HAD to check each bowl to verify it was empty.

Lacey is on her way!

Ginger's Mom
12-18-2007, 09:21 PM
Yay!!! Congratulations Lacey (and Sandie ;) ). It sounds like she did a good job, and I think she will have fun continuing her classes and having some special one on one time with you.

cyber-sibes
12-18-2007, 10:44 PM
Congratulations Lacey & Sandie! Have fun on your next round of classes, too.

WELOVESPUPPIES
12-19-2007, 05:46 AM
Congradulations to both of you! I wish you much luck in the next class and success when you get to start agility.

Pam
12-19-2007, 06:08 AM
Congratulations to Lacey! I am sitting here smiling as I remember back to the days that Bella used to make me do > :rolleyes: in class. Actually the one area that amazed me was how beautifully she would walk on a leash in class (weaving through the other dogs with distractions, etc.) and then out in the real world she would tug. :rolleyes: I used to stand there on the sidewalk and say "don't you remember anything from school?" :p :p Thankfully now she has matured and is much better all around. Lacey sounds like she is on her way to bigger and better things. Good girl Lacey! Keep us posted! :)