PDA

View Full Version : What are your traditional holiday desserts??

pitc9
12-17-2007, 02:28 PM
I'd like to know what kinds of desserts (cakes... pies... cookies... etc) do you and your family enjoy around the holidays.

(I'm running out of ideas of things to make :p )

kittycats_delight
12-17-2007, 02:46 PM
Tiramisu is a big one here whether it is holiday or not. But I have a nice little holiday recipe book I just got with some lovely italian christmas desserts. I will have a look through and see what looks yummy. :)

lvpets2002
12-17-2007, 03:00 PM
;) oF Course Pecan & Pumpkin Pies {with whipcream topping}

Uabassoon
12-17-2007, 03:12 PM
Every year Alexa and I have a Christmas party and I always make an apple crisp for dessert. It's warm and yummy :). I also love making mexican wedding cookies, those are always a big hit.

Karen
12-17-2007, 04:03 PM
Gingerbread or gingerbread cookies! Fun for all!

Coffee Ring - Swedish family recipe, sweet yeast dough rolled with cinnamon sugar ...

Stollen - though now I am allergic to the almond slivers we'd sprinkle on the outside, and the candied bits of cherries and oranges and nuts we'd fold into the dough ...

Husky_mom
12-17-2007, 04:12 PM
were I live there is the traditional "Buñuelos"..... which is sort of a fried tortilla with sugar and cinnamon......

but in my house we usually bake cookies.... and have some cakes and pies and even jello as desserts.....

ok now I realllllly want some sweets.......*drools*.......

Uabassoon
12-17-2007, 04:14 PM
were I live there is the traditional "Buñuelos"..... which is sort of a fried tortilla with sugar and cinnamon......

I love buñuelos. In my family we eat them every New Year's eve or you'll have bad luck the next year!

Freedom
12-17-2007, 04:33 PM
Prior to desserts, we have chestnuts! Thanksgiving AND Christmas, and New Year's if we can still find any. (I've been having them in between holidays, too; yum!)

I always make some cut out cookies. I'd say "sugar cookies," except now Dad is diabetic I make them with Sweet N Low.

We used to have loads of desserts. Peanut butter chocolate oatmeal cookies, snowballs (chocolate cookies rolled in confectioner's sugar) were my favorites.

We also always buy a Friendly's Jubilee Roll. (ice cream log)

And the traditional apple pie.

Medusa
12-17-2007, 05:10 PM
Oh man, now I really want one! I haven't had one of those for probably 20 years! I had some Mexican friends that have since moved out of state and we lost touch. Good grief, could that woman cook! :)

My ex-mother-in-law always made pizzelles. My mother made cherry pies. I love to cook but I don't bake.

Taz_Zoee
12-17-2007, 06:00 PM
I make my double chocolate chunk brownies (some people will not let me in their house if I don't have them with me:p). And recently started making some peanut butter chocolate bars. They don't have a name, but I've named them Toler bars in honor of a co-worker who passed away in Feb, he LOVED them! In fact, I must go make some now for our potluck we are having at work tomorrow. :)

carole
12-17-2007, 06:44 PM
Pavlova with whipped cream, grated chocolate and kiwi fruit or strawberries on top, christmas pudding with custard. :)

chocolatepuppy
12-17-2007, 07:08 PM
Sugar cookies loaded with icing. And there's a layered jello dessert I always make that my mom makes. :D

Karen
12-17-2007, 07:09 PM
Oh, and green cookie-press cookies shaped like Christmas Trees!

sirrahbed
12-17-2007, 08:52 PM
Fruitcake :p - often the topic of jokes but I make them every year and do not think I have ever gone even one of my 50+ holidays without it. I dislike any commercial fruitcakes or fruitcake candy mixes but love the recipe I learned from my mom. It is very little cake and the ingredients are pecans, candied cherries, pineapples and dates. The only spice is nutmeg. Just for grins, I got my newspaper clipping out and it is still posted online - same name, same recipe, same newspaper. Aronowitz fruitcake (http://fruitcake.pbwiki.com/Marty-Aronowitz's-Fruitcake) Any other fruitcake lovers out there?

Karen - I often make cookie press trees also! I also tint mine green and then sprinkle with multicolor sprinkles :D

Medusa
12-17-2007, 09:26 PM
[B]Any other fruitcake lovers out there?

Actually, I love fruitcake. When I was married, a client would give my husband and me a fruitcake from Harry and David's (I think that's the name of the company) and it was delicious! My dad always did the cliche' of bringing out the family fruitcake year after year that absolutely no one would eat. It had a lot of brandy in it, I recall, but it smelled and looked awful. Wish I knew who inherited that thing when he died.

Karen
12-17-2007, 09:30 PM
Fruitcake :p - often the topic of jokes but I make them every year and do not think I have ever gone even one of my 50+ holidays without it. I dislike any commercial fruitcakes or fruitcake candy mixes but love the recipe I learned from my mom. It is very little cake and the ingredients are pecans, candied cherries, pineapples and dates. The only spice is nutmeg. Just for grins, I got my newspaper clipping out and it is still posted online - same name, same recipe, same newspaper. Aronowitz fruitcake (http://fruitcake.pbwiki.com/Marty-Aronowitz's-Fruitcake) Any other fruitcake lovers out there?

I LOVE fruitcake. Unfortunately, I am now allergic to most of the fruit and all the nuts that make it sooooo good. It would just NOT be the same without the good stuff! Sigh.

When I was a little kid, we'd make fruitcakes as gifts for people. My big brother's job was to shell the Brazil nuts. Mine was to take a date, stuff the Brazil nut into it, then roll it in sugar - and then NOT pop it into my mouth, but put it into a bowl to be added to the mix. I don't remember what jobs the other family members had, but we were all kept busy, and Ma did the final mixing and baking.

anna_66
12-18-2007, 07:39 AM
Fruit Salad. It's something I've had every year since I can remember.
You just mix together; sour cream, sliced apples, pineapple chunks, mandarin oranges, walnuts, marshmallows & coconut.
It's just the best (especially on the second day!)

And then of course my mom's famous chocolate chip cookies. Wouldn't be the same without those!

There's something else I've made for the last few years. I got the recipe from a girl that Mark worked with. She'd make it for all the employees.
She called it puppy chow, but from what I've seen online that's not what it is.
Any way it's White Almond Bark, Fruit Loops, peanuts, pretzels & m&m's...yummy! Everyone loves it!

Medusa
12-18-2007, 07:46 AM
Actually, I guess w/out realizing it I've started a holiday tradition. I serve a candy every year. Ok, it isn't a dessert but everyone loves it. I can't take credit for it, though. There's a local candy shoppe in town that I've done business with for years. The owner and her daughter make their own candy and they've won all kinds of awards through the years, especially for the one they call Canal Mud. (I live in a town called Canal Fulton.) It's light and dark chocolate w/caramel and dark chocolate drizzled on top. I give it as gifts, too. Before menopause and during PMS, I'd call them and say "I'm on my way!" and they'd have their own peanut butter cups waiting on the front step for me after closing time because I could never make it home from work in time. They trusted me to leave a check in their milk delivery box. Once you've had their peanut butter cups, you'll never eat a Reese's again. And my favorite is their Hawaiian Snappers made w/white chocolate and macadamia nuts. Ok, I need to stop. I've just put on a couple of pounds talking about it. Anyhow....if you ever want to try the best chocolates ever, the name of their shoppe is Deliciously Different Candies and they ship all over the world.

cassiesmom
12-18-2007, 04:16 PM
I love buñuelos. In my family we eat them every New Year's eve or you'll have bad luck the next year!

Oh my goodness! My best friend's husband is Mexican American, grew up in Texas. His mother lives with them and she makes buñuelos on New Year's Day, for luck in the new year. My best friend is Italian and Czech, so for their holidays it might be tiramisu or kolacky (or both).

Ever since my nephew and nieces were little, we have always had birthday cake for Jesus' birthday. My youngest niece's birthday is on Christmas, so now we have a little of everything - birthday cake, kolacky and the Czech Christmas cookies called rohlik (shortbread dough with almonds, bent into crescents and sprinkled with powdered sugar).

I've got a puppy chow recipe too - Honeycomb cereal covered with a mix of chocolate and peanut butter. Then powdered sugar over top.

joycenalex
12-18-2007, 06:23 PM
chocolate pudding cake. gosh i miss it. when we were kids, my mom would make this molten chocolate hot gooey delight only on very special occasions(birthdays weren't special enough). several years ago, at a family dinner i asked my sister and brother what were their favorite food memory and simultaneously we said pudding cake. mom just smiled.

critters
12-19-2007, 07:51 AM
I always used to make a cake in a tree-shaped pan, cover it with fluffy white icing, and use "pretty" M&Ms as tree lights.

*LabLoverKEB*
12-19-2007, 01:32 PM
Well, let's see here...
Our family traditional Christmas dessert, it this wonderful baby Jesus red cake. It's red velvet cake (I think) and we use 2 ounces of red food dye. My Grammy makes it every year for Christmas. :) The cake is 4 layers, and has this yummy frosting, don't know which kind, though! :) ;)