back to finish eating.

When I went back the guy had finished my place & was shoveling out
around his car. (we had about 6 in snow last night) he then went next
door & walked out to his car again with a lady & little kid. Got into the
car & left. Thing is , I have no idea who he was, but it was great to get
dug out by a stranger. :)

Killearn Kitties
12-16-2007, 05:30 PM
How kind! Were you not curious enough to go and ask who he was? :D Were you frightened he would stop?

Daisy and Delilah
12-16-2007, 05:49 PM
WOW!!! What a good samaritan. I wonder if he would like a trip to Florida. I have a ton of stuff he can do here ;)

columbine
12-16-2007, 06:12 PM
The second floor dudes (three buff young guys, college students) dug me out, so I made them a batch of brownies. I can shovel snow, but slowly & poorly and I'm a wreck for days after, but I can definitely bake.

Love, Columbine

lizbud
12-16-2007, 06:25 PM
How kind! Were you not curious enough to go and ask who he was? :D Were you frightened he would stop?

Bingo. :D that did cross my mind. :D

The guy was so bundled up, it was hard to tell who he was.

K9karen
12-16-2007, 10:14 PM
Wow! Now that's something you don't see everyday! The Phantom Shoveler! You know how I am, Liz..don't forget to Pay It Back..but I'm sure you always do!

Karen
12-17-2007, 12:39 AM
Hee hee - when my elderly neighbors were still alive (rest in peace, Kay and Charlie), I or another neighbor would usually shovel them out. I got "caught" one day, but they didn't say a thing ... so I didn't know until a few days later, when Kay called me over, and presented me with an entire pie tin of Peanut Butter Fudge. I told her that wasn't necessary, but she demurred, saying something about having the ingredients on hand, etc. I brought it to the office, as it was too much for Paul and I to tackle without eating ourselves sick. At the end of the day, one co-worker came up to me and said "Can you shovel Kay's driveway again? That was GOOD fudge!"

Liz, you may eventually find out.

One year, I was out shovelling a big storm pretty late at night - I like shoveling, so I'm the one who usually does it. I still had half the driveway to do when a nice man in a pick-up with a plow stopped and said "want help?" and plowed the rest for me! Between the fog on my glasses, things being obscured by being bundled up, and his being inside the truck with the window only rolled down a little, and snow on my glasses, I wasn't sure who it was. Months later I recognized the color and size of the pick-up when I saw Mr. Banks - from down the street - drive by. He never admitted to it, but other neighbors confirmed it was probably him!

Freedom
12-17-2007, 07:30 AM
How nice! What goes around comes around, I truly believe that. You sure have done something nice for someone along the way and now another person is doing something nice for you!

My neighbor used his snow blower on our driveway for the first storm, on Thursday. Before the storm started, I went out and made sure the car had plenty of gas in it; got a fill up! Wasn't until Friday morning when Dad and I went out to work on the driveway that I remembered I was ALSO supposed to buy gas for our snow blower! :rolleyes: Chalk it up to being the first storm of the season! I had made cupcakes on Thursday during the storm (there is something about baking during a storm!) so I gave a plate full to the neighbor (he refused to take money for the gas he used !)

Pawsitive Thinking
12-17-2007, 09:43 AM
I like him already!!! He must have great karma....

lizbud
12-17-2007, 04:51 PM
Wow! Now that's something you don't see everyday! The Phantom Shoveler! You know how I am, Liz..don't forget to Pay It Back..but I'm sure you always do!

I was trying to just accept this as a nice gesture, but I guess I feel bad
that I didn't get to thank them. But I'm pretty sure I know (I think) who
to thank later.

Medusa
12-17-2007, 05:24 PM
I love stories like this. Years ago, when my son was around 9 or 10, some dogs got into my neighbor's trash and spread it all over their lawn. Before the school bus came, my son picked the trash up and put it in their trash can. He thought they had left for the day but unbeknownst to him, they were watching him from their window. When he got home from school, the woman came across the street w/a chocolate cake w/chocolate icing (his favorite, probably every boy's, right?) that she baked just for him. I was so proud of my son for doing it w/out being told and I was so happy to have such a nice and appreciative neighbor. Restores your faith in humankind, doesn't it?

phesina
12-17-2007, 07:39 PM
Oh, Mary, not only is this another fine what-goes-around-comes-around story, but once again I am so impressed by your wonderful SON!

Pat

Medusa
12-17-2007, 09:28 PM
Thanx, Pat. I didn't mean to make this thread about me but this topic took me for a ride in the way back machine.