PDA

View Full Version : House Explodes but 2 Cats Survive

columbine
12-15-2007, 07:37 PM
There weren't any humans home at the time. The one who bolted when the house blew - that's long enough odds already. But the one who was STILL IN THE HOUSE during a GAS FIRE was found alive with no worse damage than scorched fur! Story here. (http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/14856663/detail.html)

Love, Columbine

joycenalex
12-15-2007, 08:10 PM
holy cow. that is one blessed cat

Medusa
12-16-2007, 07:24 AM
One lucky cat is right! But what about those people who lost their home? A fund is being set up? Excuse me? How about the subcontractors paying for everything since they didn't check to see where the gas lines were and thus are responsible for the explosion!!!! :mad:

columbine
12-16-2007, 07:47 AM
One lucky cat is right! But what about those people who lost their home? A fund is being set up? Excuse me? How about the subcontractors paying for everything since they didn't check to see where the gas lines were and thus are responsible for the explosion!!!! :mad:Well, yeah, but the subcontractor can just chapter 11 and re-form under another name, and the gas company can afford the lawyers to stall, nickel-and-dime the victims down to discouraged destitution, and maybe even fabricate evidence or get it thrown out on a technicality, and in the meantime these folks need shelter and the means to work. Laws are for people who can afford lawyers - these folks' only hope for more than charity would be for the gas company or the subcontractor to voluntarily step forward. That happens sometimes, but not often.

Love, Columbine

Medusa
12-16-2007, 08:32 AM
these folks need shelter and the means to work.

Oh, I agree. I hope it doesn't come across as though I'm against a fund for these people. Not at all. It just upsets me that so-called professionals at their job can be so careless and not have to pay or even take responsibility for putting these people out of their home and worse, endangering their very lives.

catmandu
12-16-2007, 09:07 AM
The Sad Thing Is Medusa, That Theres No Responsibility Anymore.
Doctors Can Prescribe The Wrong Things, And Shrug When A Patient Dies. And Houses Are Slapped Up With Substandard Work Even Ones That Are Expensive.
No One Takes The Time To Do Things Properly Anymore, Its All The Bottom Line. I Remember The Car That Caught Fire And Exploded When Hit From Behind, And They Didnt Recall Them As It Was Cheaper To Pay Off The Families When Someone Died, After As You Say Delaying Them In Courts.
We Pray That That Family And Thier Lucky Cats Will Have A New Home ASAP.

momcat
12-16-2007, 01:58 PM
Thank God that nobody was seriously or fataly injured, what a horrible situation! It's a miracle that the kitty was found alive and reasonably okay in the aftermath of the explosion. Fingers are sure to be pointed as to who is responsible and how things play out remains to be seen. Here's hoping that a good lawyer will help the Fitzgerald's pro-bono (there are good attorneys out there willing to help) to get the restitution they deserve. My prayers go out for them!

jennielynn1970
12-16-2007, 03:30 PM
Last year the same kind of thing happened to teachers in our district. They had just married and had bought a house (half a double). No one was at home when it happened except for their 3 cats. Two of the cats were found, but it was days until they found the other one. She was inside the house yet, in all the rubble! The PTA at our school actually did a fund raiser for them, even though they had home owners' insurance to cover everything. It was a nice gesture. They are now living in a new development of condos, and they like it there, but miss their old house.

That's the one thing that scares me with my house.. that I have gas heat. It is economical at this point, compared to oil and electric, but gas worries me. Another reason why my fireplace is just sitting there and not used... I just don't trust it!