PDA

View Full Version : When should I give it to her?

catnapper
12-14-2007, 08:29 PM
Ok folks, here's a question.....
I bought my mom a recliner for Christmas/birthday. She knows she's getting it but I let her believe it was ordered too late and won't be in until sometime in January (if I waited a couple more days it would have been too late! :D)

Anyway, her birthday is in a couple days and I'm going to her house tomorrow to help decorate her tree and do some Christmas shopping. I paid off the chair this afternoon and its sitting at work waiting for me to pick it up.

Do I:
A) give it to her tomorrow and shock her.... If I give it to her tomorrow, the plan is to leave it in the car and wait for her to go to the basement, then run out to the car to drag it in. I want to see how long it takes her to notice a new chair in the living room. :p

or....
B) Save it for Christmas because its supposed to be a gift for both mom and dad. I often feel dad is left out of gifts because he's incredibly hard to buy for, so maybe giving the chair to mom early will make dad feel as if once again he got short-changed in the gift department.

I am very much torn as to when to give mom the chair. When would you give the chair?

Freedom
12-14-2007, 08:34 PM
IF the chair is for Mom AND Dad, then wait for Christmas; and make sure you have "something" for Mom for her birthday.

If the chair is for MOM, give it to her tomorrow, and make sure you get something for Dad for Christmas!

PS We always found Dad hard to buy for as well. We used to get his favorite shave cream; his tooth paste (yeah even though everyone in the house used it); and some special candy or pastry. Then we would get 3 small gift certificates (Home Depot and Sears worked well in those days; heck cards for gas for the car would dothese days!) and put one each in each of the other gifts. Once he got the idea the gift cards were in there (after a few years), we would "hide" them in the gift package and half the fun was watching him try to find them! Plus it kept little kids busy trying to 'help.'

Pam
12-14-2007, 10:33 PM
then run out to the car to drag it in. I want to see how long it takes her to notice a new chair in the living room. :p

She will probably notice that you are out of breath and laying on the floor with a pulled muscle in your back before she ever sees the chair! :p Seriously, though, :) I think I would wait and let your dad share in the fun. Men are always the hardest for me to buy for too, and the chair will be a very nice gift for both to share. :)

Medusa
12-15-2007, 07:39 AM
IF the chair is for Mom AND Dad, then wait for Christmas; and make sure you have "something" for Mom for her birthday.

If the chair is for MOM, give it to her tomorrow, and make sure you get something for Dad for Christmas!
I second that.

BitsyNaceyDog
12-15-2007, 07:47 AM
I too think waiting until Christmas is a good idea, for two reasons, 1- it's for both your parents, and 2- you'll have help bringing it in.

joycenalex
12-15-2007, 08:01 AM
my 'vote' is for b and get throws that suit each ones taste/LR decor for the inevitable naps for the birthday gift. or, since i've been recently sleeping in my recliner, i'd also suggest neck rolls for better napping with a nice throw ;)

catnapper
12-15-2007, 05:17 PM
I didn't give it to her today.

For the record, I can sling a recliner around like its a piece of paper. I move them all day long at work (I work at La-Z-Boy) I help customers get them in their car all the time, so its nothing to worry about getting it to mom's by myself.

The gift is more mom's than dad's. It will be the chair she will sit in more than he will. Dad's also getting a reading lamp to go next to his chair because thats what he asked for (my parents ask for such exciting things! :D)

Rachel
12-16-2007, 08:28 AM
As far as I'm concerned a Laz-Z Boy recliner is one of the best presents ever. Nobody can give one to me, however, because I always buy them for myself. If anyone has a bad back, the ability to adjust to just the position you need is *priceless*. I'm partial to the rocker recliners. Actually any day you give this gift is going to be a day to celebrate!!!

Beware though once your dad gets a taste of this chair, he will be wanting his very own.

catnapper
12-16-2007, 08:38 AM
As far as I'm concerned a Laz-Z Boy recliner is one of the best presents ever. Nobody can give one to me, however, because I always buy them for myself. If anyone has a bad back, the ability to adjust to just the position you need is *priceless*. I'm partial to the rocker recliners. Actually any day you give this gift is going to be a day to celebrate!!!

Beware though once your dad gets a taste of this chair, he will be wanting his very own.
I'm a champion of looking at someone and taking them straight to the perfect chair for them. I pick the perfect chair almost every time. Of course they try out every other chair just to be sure, but almost always go back to the one I picked for them :p But fear not, mom picked her chair out last summer :D

And yes, I fully anticipate getting them a second chair soon. He has one but its not gonna last much longer.

Freedom
12-16-2007, 08:53 AM
As far as I'm concerned a Laz-Z Boy recliner is one of the best presents ever. Nobody can give one to me, however, because I always buy them for myself.

He hee, me too! I love the swivel rocker recliner; Dad and I each have one and that is where we can be found by any pets who need a lap!