PDA

View Full Version : National Guard (do you know anyone in it?)

finn's mom
12-13-2007, 10:53 AM
I am looking into joining the Air National Guard and wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this, or if you know anyone (especially women) or are in the Air National Guard (or any other branch of the Guard, for that matter) right now. I'm going to be speaking with a recruiter within the next month or so, but I also really want to speak with some people who are in the Guard and aren't trying to make a quota. ;) I'm fully aware that recruiters will oftentimes say what needs to be said in order to get someone to join, which is why I am trying to get in touch with others to find out information about the Guard.

Anything will be helpful at this point, thanks!

critter crazy
12-13-2007, 11:24 AM
I Used to be in the Army national Gurad, and was in the Aviation section for a while. The Air National guard is different, but not by much. I know many people whi would leave the Army national Guard, and transfre to the Air National guard, I guess it was the place to be!:D I loved my time in the guard, great people, exciting things and experiances. My hubby was a recruiter, so I know what you mean about them doing what they can to get you to join!;) But most are very trust worthy.

Not sure what type of info you are looking for, so if you have any questions, hopefully I can answer them for you!:)

finn's mom
12-13-2007, 11:37 AM
I Used to be in the Army national Gurad, and was in the Aviation section for a while. The Air National guard is different, but not by much. I know many people whi would leave the Army national Guard, and transfre to the Air National guard, I guess it was the place to be!:D I loved my time in the guard, great people, exciting things and experiances. My hubby was a recruiter, so I know what you mean about them doing what they can to get you to join!;) But most are very trust worthy.

Not sure what type of info you are looking for, so if you have any questions, hopefully I can answer them for you!:)

Thank you for the response! Everyone I've talked to has said Air Force is the way to go. I know from my experiences with the Army and other branches, the Army tends to be the one people say to avoid. My ex husband was Army, but I don't remember too many terrible things about it. Seems I've heard that it is one of the more difficult branches to trust and be a part of (that is not my opinion, per se, that is just what I have been told recently). As for being a woman, hands down, people are telling me to lean more towards the Air Force.

One question I really want to ask from an active member of the Guard is what the deployment rate is. I am not saying the thought of being deployed would 100% keep me from joining, but if I can avoid it, I certainly will. I know very few people who actually **want** to be deployed into an environment like Iraq or Iran at this moment in time.

critter crazy
12-13-2007, 11:58 AM
Thank you for the response! Everyone I've talked to has said Air Force is the way to go. I know from my experiences with the Army and other branches, the Army tends to be the one people say to avoid. My ex husband was Army, but I don't remember too many terrible things about it. Seems I've heard that it is one of the more difficult branches to trust and be a part of (that is not my opinion, per se, that is just what I have been told recently). As for being a woman, hands down, people are telling me to lean more towards the Air Force.

One question I really want to ask from an active member of the Guard is what the deployment rate is. I am not saying the thought of being deployed would 100% keep me from joining, but if I can avoid it, I certainly will. I know very few people who actually **want** to be deployed into an environment like Iraq or Iran at this moment in time.
The air National guard from my experiance, was very Female friendly. The Army, not so much, it has gotten better over the years, but I still had many battles on a daily Basis, especially from the Old-Timers still kicking around, that teh Army was no Place for a woman! But I was in for 11 years full time and Part-time, before I Got a medical discharge. I loved it, and still do! I wish I could go back, but unfortunately that can never happen!

As far as the Deployment rate, it is still very high! And most units are doing numerous tours, not just one. So make sure you are prepared for that! The last unit i was in before I was discharged was on their Second Deployment, to both Iraq, and Afganistan.

Once you are in, there realy is no way to avoid Deployment! It is just part of the job, and now the deployment time is around 18 months.

There are, believe it or not, Many soldiers who voluteered to go, and volunteered to go many times. I Have many friends that did just that! There are actually many soldiers who Want to go! My Hubby was one of them!

Lady's Human
12-13-2007, 12:03 PM
Deployment times for the AF NG are different from the army. The USAF and USAFNG tend to have short deployments (90 days to 6 months) while the Army, USAR and ARNG deploy for 12-18 months. (The 18 month figure includes training time at the mobilization station)

As far as which branch to join, it all depends on what you want to do.

finn's mom
12-13-2007, 12:04 PM
The air National guard from my experiance, was very Female friendly. The Army, not so much, it has gotten better over the years, but I still had many battles on a daily Basis, especially from the Old-Timers still kicking around, that teh Army was no Place for a woman! But I was in for 11 years full time and Part-time, before I Got a medical discharge. I loved it, and still do! I wish I could go back, but unfortunately that can never happen!

As far as the Deployment rate, it is still very high! And most units are doing numerous tours, not just one. So make sure you are prepared for that! The last unit i was in before I was discharged was on their Second Deployment, to both Iraq, and Afganistan.

Once you are in, there realy is no way to avoid Deployment! It is just part of the job, and now the deployment time is around 18 months.

There are, believe it or not, Many soldiers who voluteered to go, and volunteered to go many times. I Have many friends that did just that! There are actually many soldiers who Want to go! My Hubby was one of them!

I have a couple friends in the Guard who've been in for years, and have never been deployed, but I know a lot has to do with age and what your skills are.

As for people volunteering, I'm not saying at all that people won't do what's necessary and don't want to be at the forefront of it, but honestly I don't know many people who prefer to go to war as opposed to being home with their families. I don't know I'm wording it the way I want it to come out, but I'm trying to say that I know very few people who prefer going to war over peaceful times.

If I join, it won't be because I "get" to go to war, and if I don't join, it won't be because I will have to go to war. There are many factors and if they don't all add up for me, I won't go for any reason. I certainly wouldn't put being deployed as a pro for joining, though.

finn's mom
12-13-2007, 12:06 PM
Deployment times for the AF NG are different from the army. The USAF and USAFNG tend to have short deployments (90 days to 6 months) while the Army, USAR and ARNG deploy for 12-18 months. (The 18 month figure includes training time at the mobilization station)

As far as which branch to join, it all depends on what you want to do.

That's what I keep hearing...that the deployment tours are shorter for Air Force. I'm not 100% sure what skills I want to be trained in, which is why this is just a consideration at this point, and it's not something I'm looking lightly into, either. It's been on my heart off and on for the last five years. I'd always leaned toward Army until speaking to several people on the subject. I am still planning to speak to an Army recruiter and possibly Navy and Marines, as well. I want to look at all my options for sure.

critter crazy
12-13-2007, 12:11 PM
I have a couple friends in the Guard who've been in for years, and have never been deployed, but I know a lot has to do with age and what your skills are.

As for people volunteering, I'm not saying at all that people won't do what's necessary and don't want to be at the forefront of it, but honestly I don't know many people who prefer to go to war as opposed to being home with their families. I don't know I'm wording it the way I want it to come out, but I'm trying to say that I know very few people who prefer going to war over peaceful times.

If I join, it won't be because I "get" to go to war, and if I don't join, it won't be because I will have to go to war. There are many factors and if they don't all add up for me, I won't go for any reason. I certainly wouldn't put being deployed as a pro for joining, though.

It actually has little to do with age, unless you are OLD! and then it is like 50 or over, they dont like to send, but will if needed! It has more to do with the type of unit you are in. Like in the Army, if you are in infantry, you Will go, Guranteed (Just an example) The unit I was in was an engineering unit, which was sent in to build airports, roads building ect...so they were in high demand as well.

Ladys Human- I know thing Vary from Branch to branch, I am just telling the Army side, as that is all I know. And yes te 18 months includes training time,which is usually around 6 months.

finn's mom
12-13-2007, 12:30 PM
It actually has little to do with age, unless you are OLD! and then it is like 50 or over, they dont like to send, but will if needed! It has more to do with the type of unit you are in. Like in the Army, if you are in infantry, you Will go, Guranteed (Just an example) The unit I was in was an engineering unit, which was sent in to build airports, roads building ect...so they were in high demand as well.

Ladys Human- I know thing Vary from Branch to branch, I am just telling the Army side, as that is all I know. And yes te 18 months includes training time,which is usually around 6 months.

Thanks for the information...like I stated before, most of what I'm going by is just what I've either been told or what I've seen. David's cousin has been in the guard for awhile, but he's in his forties now and he hasn't been deployed. He said it was mostly because of his age, although he did say it had to do with his job, as well. I think he works with diesel equipment or vehicles or something like that.