PDA

View Full Version : My neighbors purposely bred their dog *Update with Pictures December 17 post 41*

kittycats_delight
12-13-2007, 03:42 AM
I think most of you have seen a thread or 2 with picture of the collie that lives upstairs and also about how her owned is an alcohol and an absolutely moron. Well he proved it. I was in bed last night at 10:00 as I had an early rise this morning when some rang our bell. Strange at that hour. Got up to find my neighbors wife basically running back to her door. I caught her and she was in panic. Millan had just had her first puppy. (I didn't even know she was pregnant.)

The delivery went ok but she had torn the skin from the side and inside back leg of the baby in her excitement (for lack of a better word) while cleaning her. The baby was freezing cold as she had it in the basement/garage where this is NO heat. I made them call the emergency vet.

She had a second which hubby had to help deliver and I had to break the sac on that was half the size of the others. The vet arrived just after she had the second puppy. She took the injured puppy upstairs into the warm and cleaned her up and bandaged her. Then came and took the second one who by then was cold as well despite all efforts to keep him warm. The second was brought upstairs and both were feed some type of formula the vey brought with her. They were put into a box with covered hot water bottles. They warmed up.

Just after the vet left she had a 3rd puppy. This one gave her a lot of trouble and us. She delivered this big baby finally and broke the sac herself immediately. We gave her some time to clean him up but he was not moving and not breathing and there was liquid coming from his nose and mouth. I have never been involved in a delivery before and the owner knew less than I did. I figured we had to try to get the liquid out of him. I picked him up in a fleece blanket and started rubbing him and ever now and then he would open his mouth and take a breathe. I got Millan to lick him and clean the liquid from him. It took almost 45 minutes before everything was clear and he started to cry. I was never so happy to hear a puppy cry.

By this time puppy #3 was freezing cold. I brought him up and we got him warmed up and fed. He drank rather well right away and went right to sleep wrapped in a fresh fleece and held against my chest for added warmth.

Millan then came upstairs with the babies but she was pretty scared. She would lick them a little and cry for them but the second they got close to her she ran from them. So we kept them warm and fed. She then had a 4th at 5 am this morning. She did everything herself very well. This puppy was a good size too.

After she got this 4th guy cleaned up she laid down to feed and cried for the others. The others were given to her and she licked them all over and relaxed into feeding them. They all seem to be feeding well except the one that is injured. She is always whimpering and doesn't settle much. She has to get to the vet today to get the wound checked and redressed. Depending on how things look she may need antibiotics. We will just have to wait and see how things progress.

Please keep these babies in your thoughts and prayers. While Millan was in delivery and labor last night both the husband and wife said they would never do this again. They will be having her spayed. They especially the husband didn't think he was hurting the dog or that she would have problems or that the puppies would. He knows different now. And he also said if he knew he never would have done it. I just hope all the babies are ok and there are no ill effects to any of them including the momma. Who BTW has seizures. The vet just about freaked last night when I told her about that.

So again please keep these little one close in thoughts and prayers as they could sure use some as could the momma. Thank you all for listening.

Michelle

Daisy and Delilah
12-13-2007, 06:55 AM
OMG Michelle!! How heroic you are!! Great job!! My thoughts and prayers will be continuous for the Momma and babies to be ok :(

pitc9
12-13-2007, 07:02 AM
Oh how sad!!
:(
Some people in this world are so stupid I don't know how they breath on their own!!

She has seizures?!?! OMG!! :(

I'm glad to hear she's doing good and looks like all the babies are going to be fine as well. I hope the hurt one will be okay. :(

You did a great job!!
Do you know what kind of dog they bred her with?

kittycats_delight
12-13-2007, 07:38 AM
thank you both :)

Terry I am far from heroic I just did what I felt I had to do. I couldn't sit by and not do anything. I know I shouldn't enable them but they did learn a lesson and were truly terrified for their own dog and her babies.

Angie...some people really are beyond my minds grasp. I don't know what would possess someone to breed a dog that has seizures. Millan was bred with a dog of the same race. She was bred with a tri-color collie I believe. I really don't know if that is right or not but the male was a collie like her.

Thank you both again for the good thoughts and prayers. They are much appreciated. :)

Michelle

WELOVESPUPPIES
12-13-2007, 08:27 AM
I will definitely keep momma and pups in my thoughts and prayers. Thank you for helping those little guys, who knows what would have happened to them if you had not been home to help them out.

Hopefully whatever the cause of the momma's seizures is it's not passed on to her babies, whose owners by the way are idiots for ever breeding a dog who knowingly had seizures! :mad:

If and when you see them again please give them all some lovin' from me.

joycenalex
12-13-2007, 11:37 AM
how are the puppies and the mom today?

kimlovescats
12-13-2007, 12:52 PM
Michelle, it's a blessing that you were home and available!!! No telling what would have happened if not for you!!! :eek: These people were so negligent! Poor mommy and babies! :(

kittycats_delight
12-13-2007, 01:25 PM
A little update...I was just up to check on momma & puppies. Momma Millan is doing fine and 3 of the four puppies seem to be doing pretty well too. The little injured puppy is fading. Momma keeps pushing her away. She does not have the strength to eat. We have tried to feed her with a syringe but even that isn't working. We got a little into her but I am sure not enough. She just won't take it in. We squirt a little in and she tries to lick and pushs most of it out again. But I guess every little bit helps. She is so weak. She is also moving very little and making barely audible murmurs. I am pretty sure we will lose her through the night if not sooner. Prayers are needed.

The wife is extremely upset by this situation. She never wanted the dog bred to begin with. When I went to check on them a little bit ago the wife was alone. Her son had gone to get more things for the dog and injured puppy. Her husband (an alcoholic) was gone drinking. It is a sad state. I talked with the wife and she was very open. She told me something that floored me. Their vet told her husband to breed Millan once before spaying her. THE VET????? I told her to change vets immediately. She understood and thought it was strange and agrees they need to change. She actually told her husband to get the opinion of another vet when their regular told them to breed Millan. He said he would but didn't and he bred her without his wife knowing. He told his wife after she was pregnant.

Anyway, his wife gave me a key because there is only the husband at home tomorrow and I will need to keep check on Millan and the puppies. The husband will leave as soon as he can after his wife to start drinking. So for the most part they will be left alone. This doesn't bode well for the puppies. I hope they are strong enough to get through all this. There are 2 quite strong but I think the injured puppy will pass and I am worried about the little one too.

Please keep them all in prayers. Thank you all so so much.

Michelle

cassiesmom
12-13-2007, 01:35 PM
Michelle, bless you for helping the mom-dog and pups!

Freedom
12-13-2007, 02:40 PM
Oh Michelle, how lucky for mom and pups that you were home! Thanks so much for helpoing all you can with them.

Prayers for mom and puppies to be strong and healthy.

Taz_Zoee
12-13-2007, 03:14 PM
Michelle, you are an angel for helping these puppies and this poor woman. I hope the two of you can get through this and all the puppies make it.

pitc9
12-13-2007, 03:45 PM
{{{hugs}}} to you & the wife.
All of this was 100% avoidable if it wasn't for the stupid husband.

You are a blessing to those pups.
I pray for the best for the 2 weak ones. :(

Cinder & Smoke
12-13-2007, 06:08 PM
I am pretty sure we will lose her through the night if not sooner.
Prayers are needed.

<sniffle> :(

I'll bet God has a plan ...

SickPup may be scheduled for a Silver Klowd Express trip up to the Bridge ...

God can run her through the Puppy Recycle Line and fix her up just in time
to fill a Christmas Puppy Gift Certificate that some lil Kid will find under the Tree.

Keep her comfortable till the Angels come to take over ...

<sniffle>

3muttsandaboston
12-13-2007, 06:28 PM
Have you tried putting the injured pup on a heating pad and warming it up before trying to feed. Maybe you could have a vet tube feed it to get some essential food into it. I can't believe this sad situation... :(

cyber-sibes
12-13-2007, 09:36 PM
Bless you for helping out. Pretty pathetic situation, they are fortunate to have you for a neighbor. I'll keep them in my prayers, and hope for the best for the little injured one, poor thing. :(

K9karen
12-13-2007, 11:10 PM
Geesh, Michelle, your adrenalin must have been on overload! You're doing a wonderful job! The neighbors should be very grateful they have you to keep watch over Millan and the pups. I hope the little injured girl pulls through. Miracles do happen. Poor little thing. Are the pups collies?

kittycats_delight
12-14-2007, 05:14 AM
Extremely sad update...we lost 3 of the 4 last night. The emergency vet was called in and even though the injured puppy was treated yesterday and received meds at the vet infection had set in and took her life about 11:00 pm last night. The vet was also very concerned for the littlest one. Rightly so as she was so tiny and quite weak too even though she was eating some. We lost her at around 1:30 am. The vet felt the other 2 were doing well. So when at 5 this morning the 3rd puppy(last born) passed on suddenly we were all shoked. We have no idea what happened.

The last one is doing well. Please keep him in your prayers. Maybe atleast this little one can survive. Millan is quite depressed too.

Thank you all again
Michelle

Ginger's Mom
12-14-2007, 05:44 AM
Poor pups. Prayers for the surviving boy and for Millan. {{{Hugs}}} to you for all you are doing to help these poor animals.

WELOVESPUPPIES
12-14-2007, 06:10 AM
I am so sorry to hear that three of the four have passed on. But I believe when things like this happen it is for a reason. Hopefully this last little baby is healthy and strong and will make it. I will definitely keep it and momma in my prayers. ((hugs)) to you, momma and pup.

Freedom
12-14-2007, 06:56 AM
Oh no, the poor mom dog, losing her first litter 3 out of 4 so quickly. Prayers for her and the surviving pup that they recover from this sad situation to live happy lives. Bless you for being so involved and helping out in this situation!

pitc9
12-14-2007, 07:11 AM
:( Oh no....
RIP little puppies.
I pray that Millan can stay strong and overcome the loss of those 3 pups and take great care of the last puppy.

cyber-sibes
12-14-2007, 07:27 AM
:( How sad. Poor Millan, she must be so completely freaked out. Prayers she can care for her surviving little one and they both do well. Poor girl, this must all be so confusing. And (((hugs))) to you, this is quite an ordeal to get dragged into.

kittycats_delight
12-14-2007, 10:13 AM
Thank you all so much for your kind words. So far today all seems to be ok. Let me stress seems as I don't want to be too confident in anything right now. The remaining puppy is feeding and has a lovely little round full belly. He is nice and warm and Millan is being very attentive and protective. If he makes the slightest sound she is nosing him and checking him out to make sure all is ok. Millan is very tired and seems very sad and depressed. She doesn't want to eat or drink. She doesn't want to leave the puppy for a second. She won't even get up to go to food. I have hand feed her a few times today and she has eaten a little but will not touch the puppy kibble we have for her. She is only eating moist food now. It is high quality but I am sure there is not enough nutrients in it for her. When the wife gets home I will talk to her about contacting the vet to see what we can give her. Maybe she will need an appetite stimulant I don't know. I am so unfamiliar with this kind of thing. I am doing all I can but I cannot be with her 24/7. I have my own animals who need me as well as a husband and myself. I am drained physically. I have slept a total of 8 hours in the last 3 days.

Question for you guys...I don't know if this a good thing or not. I have not heard of feeding dogs these sorts of things until I came to Italy. Here a lot of people feed their dogs pasta and rice with meat as a staple diet. I can't imagine they get everything they need from this. You can buy this stuff in pet stores here and it is manufactured specifically for dogs. Vets seem to think it is ok. It is very very common. Now the question is this. Do you think seeing Millan is not eating much could see eat something like this with added meats to get some nutrients? Maybe with a vitamin and mineral supplement added? The pet store sells large bags of meat tortellini and it can be cooked in a beef broth for her and then other meat added to it as well. What do you think? I will still get the wife to call the vet but maybe this could help some??? I really don't know what to do for her. She just refuses to eat except the bit of meat I handfeed her and then only a small amount and she needs more both for her and the remaining puppy.

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks so much again everyone. Your support means a lot.

((((HUGS))))
Michelle

Taz_Zoee
12-14-2007, 10:24 AM
OH, I just saw that there is only one remaining. :( I'm so sorry. Poor Millan.
I hope this puppy makes it. You are doing such a great thing Michelle.

cyber-sibes
12-14-2007, 10:47 AM
Michelle, I don't know how good the pasta mix is for them long term, but my vet tells me it's better if they eat something rather than nothing, so if they'll eat it, let them. (for when they are sick & won't eat, not everyday, of course). They suggested using meat baby foods too. (I know my dogs would love to have pasta! ;) ) I think calling her vet for suggestions is a good idea, good luck.

Daisy and Delilah
12-14-2007, 03:26 PM
{{{{{MICHELLE}}}}}

How heartbreaking for you, Michelle. Rest in Peace little ones :(

I hope Millan gets better. Poor girl :( I'll keep praying for her and the little one that remains. How sad. :(

moosmom
12-14-2007, 11:24 PM
Great job Michelle!!! What is wrong with people??? Why did they have to force her to have a litter for their own entertainment. They'll never do it again??? They shouldn't have done it in the first place!!

I'll say prayers for the mama and pups. I'll also say a prayer for their stupid, moronic back yard breeder owners.

K9karen
12-14-2007, 11:48 PM
:( :( I'm sad beyond words. I feel worse for poor Millan. Keep up the good work Michelle.

kimlovescats
12-14-2007, 11:52 PM
Oh no!!! Poor babies and poor sweet Milan! :( I pray the last little pup will survive.

Thanks for all your are doing, Michelle!

Kim

IRescue452
12-15-2007, 09:57 AM
I'd think if the pasta/meat combo is being cooked, then there is nutrient loss. But I wouldn't be too concerned. Remember, before kibble was common (in the mid 1900's), people fed their dogs leftovers. Dogs lived just as long back then, sometimes even longer. And these were working dogs who used more calories and nutrients than companions.

Genny
12-15-2007, 02:49 PM
Sorry for not knowing but I haven't been on pettalk much lately so I was just wondering if this is an older post or a newer one?

Cinder & Smoke
12-15-2007, 03:22 PM
... if this is an older post or a newer one?

Real "fresh" thread ...

Started on December 13, 2007.

kittycats_delight
12-15-2007, 03:49 PM
Sorry I haven't posted until now. I was woke this morning but Millan & the puppy crying. I could hear them in my appartment, in my bedroom through a closed door. Millan was fair screaming. I jumped out of bed, shoved on a sweater and my slippers and beat it out of my door and into theirs. Firenza(the wife) was there and in panic mode again. She didn't know what to do or what was wrong. Her husband and son had gone out and Millan had gone to pee before they left. Everything seemed ok. When Millan came back inside she started freaking out. The puppy was crying cause he wanted food. She sniffed her baby and then started sniffing all around. She wanted down in the basement where she first had the babies. She went down and searched around there and cried and cried. It took almost an hour to settle her. She eventually settled down. I had to get down on the floor and lay with her. This was the only way she would stay seated. And I had to talk to her and pet her. I am pretty sure she was searching for the other puppies. When she eventually did settle she was fine for hours. The puppy settled right in and started eating. You can see a difference in his size (he is bigger) and his weight (little piggy). He has a lovely little belly and seems to be getting stronger. He holds himself in a 'sitting' position pretty well. Of course his head is all bobbley but he can hold up his body weight on his front paws. He looks pretty healthy. Millan is eating more now too. She ate a pretty good supper last night of rice, pasta, meat, & beef broth with added vitamins prescribed by the vet. She still refuses to eat the kibble. And she also ate a pretty good lunch today and supper again tonight. My biggest concern right now is the amount of anxiety she displays when she comes inside from a pee or a #2. She just freaks out searching and searching and crying and crying. Each time it seems it takes less to settle her though.

Thank you all for being so kind and supportive. And thank you from your prayers and good thoughts. Please keep them coming.

Oh yeah...Firenza called the vet about the food and the vet agreed the biggest thing was to get her eating and told her to send someone to pick up a precription for the vitamins for Millan. All in all she said the vitamins added to the food will help out big time. That's about it I think for today. I will update tomorrow. I am off to bed for some much needed sleep.

Thank you all once again.
(((HUGS)))
Michelle

Genny
12-15-2007, 08:06 PM
thanks for letting us know how they are, I bet the puppy is adorable. Is the mom a brown/white collie or a black/ white??

K9karen
12-15-2007, 10:44 PM
Any chance of some photos? What would the neighbor do without you, Michelle? Poor, confused Millan. Luckily the puppy is thriving. And I'm glad Millan is eating. Are they going to keep the puppy? (Yikes) Bless you, dear girl.

dukedogsmom
12-16-2007, 05:03 AM
This is all so very sad :( I'm so glad you are able to be there for them. I feel so bad for Firenza. I hope she can adjust to all of this.

Freedom
12-16-2007, 08:07 AM
My heart breaks reading about the mom looking high and low for her pups. Then my heart soars reading that the little one is eating well and seems to be strong. Yippee! Nice to have some good in this sad tale. Bless you Michelle, for hanging in there and helping so much!

lute
12-16-2007, 09:10 AM
Oh my gosh! I have totally missed this until now! You have been such a blessing to those pups! Even if there is only one left, none of them would have probably made it if it weren't for you and the vet! What do the owners plan on doing once the pup is weaned?

IRescue452
12-16-2007, 10:14 AM
Heartbreaking yes, but some good has come of this. The myth that a dog needs to have a litter before being spayed has been broken in the eyes of these people. And they will be a help in spreading the word slowly whenever they hear somebody talking about having that first litter. Their experience can help prevent other people from going through the same thing. And maybe this dumb vet that told them to have a litter will open his/her eyes (though he is making money off this little scam).
In the US we have a website that we can use to rate vets and comment on them so people can find a good vet. Maybe you have something similar?

wolf_Q
12-16-2007, 12:28 PM
How sad. :( Thank you for helping them. I hope Millan and the remaining pup will do well.

kittycats_delight
12-17-2007, 06:50 AM
Thank you all for your ongoing prayers. They seem to be helping a lot. The puppy is getting stronger and stronger. He is eating like a little piggy and growing like a weed. Millan is also doing better. She is no longer crying and searching for the puppies she lost. She is giving full attention to her baby and is being a good mommy. She is very attentive and loving. If the little one is having a hard time getting to the nipple through all the fur she giving him a helping 'hand' or nose actually. It is very cute to see. She is eating better to and all her 'functions' seem normal. Things seem to be going pretty good right now but those prayers are helping pull them through. I got a few pics as per request. I will post them now.

Here is the little guy by himself. He is nearly double the size he was when he was born. He is growing really well and quickly.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b74/PTCRAZY/puppy-3-4-days-old.jpg

Here is Millan with the little guy. See how strong he is holding himself up there next to mommy!
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b74/PTCRAZY/Millen--Puppy-2.jpg

And finally a kissy picture. Here is mommy Millan being attentive and giving him nuzzles.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b74/PTCRAZY/millen--puppy.jpg

Thanks again you guys. You really are the best. You cannot imagine how much I appreciate all the kind words and support.

(((HUGS)))
Michelle

Cinder & Smoke
12-17-2007, 07:09 AM
:eek:
Yipes!

He's kinda *small* compared to Mommy!

They both look GOOD - Thanks to Mid-Wife Mom Michelle!
;)

Freedom
12-17-2007, 07:19 AM
They both look GOOD - Thanks to Mid-Wife Mom Michelle!
;)

I second that!

Oh, Millan is a tri color collie, so beautiful! My very first dog was that, I was 5 when we got her and of course, I named her Lassie.

pitc9
12-17-2007, 07:55 AM
I'm SO happy to see a picture of the little guy, but I'm the most happy to hear that he and mommy are doing good!!

You've done a wonderful job Auntie Michelle!!

WELOVESPUPPIES
12-17-2007, 07:59 AM
I am so glad to hear that he seems to be doing well. He is a cutie!! I will continue to pray for momma and pup.

cyber-sibes
12-17-2007, 08:17 AM
Aw, what a cutie! Mom & the little guy look great.
Kudos to you for all you've done to help!