PDA

View Full Version : I'm devastated....

catnapper
12-12-2007, 08:45 AM
all 3 of my wonderful kittens have tested positive for feline leukemia. :(

We're calling back to see if it was a weak positive or strong positive, and depending n that answer, I'll keep them for a few months until they can be retested or they'll be PTS. http://bestsmileys.com/sad/8.gif

Thank goodness I didn't let my guys come into contact with any of them. The closest contact was a sniff and hiss, no touching, no eating, no litter box sharing. I have some major cleaning to do in the isolation room.

smokey the elder
12-12-2007, 09:13 AM
Oh, I'm so sorry! That happened to one of the volunteers in my group a few years ago, a litter of pure white kittens.

catmandu
12-12-2007, 09:18 AM
Thats The Worst Possible News Although Fip Is Not Always Fatal.
Doesthis Mean Those Kittens Will Have To Be Returned To The Shelter?
Thats A Shame When They Were Going To Have Sucjh A Great Furr Ever Home.
I Know How Sad You Are , And I Think That We Are Just As Sad For You.

jennielynn1970
12-12-2007, 09:36 AM
omg... how horrible!!! I hope that they can be retested and be found negative. Ugh. Unless someone would want to adopt all three who doesn't have any other cats in their house. You never know what could happen. They could just be carriers, and not get full blown feline leukemia. The kittens that are at the shelter are positive for feline leukemia and they are some of the healthiest looking kitties around.

Will be keeping fingers crossed for the little sweeties!!! Hope they will test negative.

moosmom
12-12-2007, 10:25 AM
Kim,

Like I told you on the phone, have another test done in 3 weeks. Have the test that requires the drawing of blood. The results should be ready within 24 hours. It's the most reliable. Believe me, I know. I almost put down my precious Marina Mar cuz she tested positive at the age of 12 weeks. I had her re-tested with the one I told you about and it was negative. It is very common for kittens to test a false positive in the first 3 months of their lives.

I'm so sorry you had to go through this.

Grace
12-12-2007, 10:52 AM
Even if they remain positive, that doesn't mean they can't live a long, happy life. There are lots of people out there who adopt only FeLv + cats. I'm sure there must be some in Pennsylvania.

Maybe they will retest negative. But just in case, start looking.

lvpets2002
12-12-2007, 10:56 AM
:( OH My GoodNess.. I am so sorry & saddened.. I just hope the retest comes out clear..

shais_mom
12-12-2007, 11:29 AM
aawww.
I'm sorry to hear this.
prayers on the way..

krazyaboutkatz
12-12-2007, 11:33 AM
Kim, I'm sorry to hear this:( I hope it was just a false positive and that their next testing results will come out fine. I'll continue to keep them in my thoughts and prayers.

kimlovescats
12-12-2007, 11:35 AM
I'm so very sorry, Kim! :(

Freedom
12-12-2007, 11:43 AM
Oh no, I am so sorry. Hugs!

AbbyMom
12-12-2007, 12:19 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this. I've been meaning to create a thread on my FeLV+ kittens I trapped last year, but I need to tell you now.

Two of the four had a "soft positive." My vet strongly encouraged me to wait and retest with the IFA test. This is the blood test that Moosmom referred to.

That's because (according to my vet) almost 25% of the positives reported by the elisa test (snap test) done in the office are FALSE POSITIVES!

It is also possible for the kittens to fend off this infection and be negative for the remainder of their lives.

(My kittens tested negative with the IFA test twice, almost five months apart. They went to a happy home. My vet was so disgusted by the false positives that he refunded the snap test cost.)

Like you, I was absolutely devasted at first. But instead I got to see two darling kittens grow up. They grew up in my bedroom/bathroom but ultimately they were OK.

I have a lot of good information on FeLV if you should need it. Let me know.

Medusa
12-12-2007, 12:36 PM
Wow, AbbyMom's post is certainly encouraging! I sure hope this turns out to be the case w/your kittens.

Anikaca77
12-12-2007, 02:27 PM
Oh..I'm so sorry...please keep us posted.

My prays.

jenluckenbach
12-12-2007, 06:31 PM
:eek: A rescuer's worst nightmare. I am sorry. Hopefully it can be proven to be a FALSE positive.

momcat
12-12-2007, 07:47 PM
.....of course you are! I won't say I know how you feel because I've never been where you are but there is LES going on in Trenton :( :( :(

Prayers are being prayed for these sweet babies and [[[[HUGS]]]] are being sent for you.

catnapper
12-12-2007, 08:20 PM
Well, the test came back as a strong positive and the decision was made to have them PTS. They are gone now, happy to romp as forever kittens at the RB. Rest in Peace my little sweethearts. At least you knew love and warmth for a few days :(

rosethecopycat
12-12-2007, 08:31 PM
Catnapper, you gave them the best days of their lives and saved them from the worst.

Godspeed to the Bridge, kittens.

AbbyMom
12-12-2007, 08:50 PM
I'm so sorry. But I'm glad you gave them love and warmth for a little while.

A strong positive is a good indication that it wasn't a false positive...just in case I wasn't clear in my earlier post about those false positives.

The snap test they give in the office is not a YES/NO type of test. Instead, it has a range. At the bottom of the range (a weak positive) is where the false positives happen.

How heartbreaking for you.

Play hard at the bridge, kittens.

krazyaboutkatz
12-12-2007, 11:43 PM
Kim, I'm so sorry to hear this.:( RIP little ones.:(

shais_mom
12-12-2007, 11:59 PM
Well, the test came back as a strong positive and the decision was made to have them PTS. They are gone now, happy to romp as forever kittens at the RB. Rest in Peace my little sweethearts. At least you knew love and warmth for a few days :(
aawww Kim I'm so sorry.
((hugs))

caseysmom
12-13-2007, 12:59 AM
Play hard little ones. Kim I am so sorry that is just so sad.

orangemm
12-13-2007, 04:36 AM
I am so sorry to hear this. Poor little guys. But at least they knew love and caring while they were with you.

Rest easy little ones. (((((hugs))))) to you. :(

kimlovescats
12-13-2007, 05:32 AM
OH KIM! I am SO SORRY!!! Unfortunately the longer you are in rescue, you will come across these times! I know you've heard of it happening, but now it's happened to ones that you've actually held and loved and bonded with. It never gets easier, Kim, but you have to dwell on the times that things go well! You made a difference in those babies lives!

(((((((((((((BIG HUGS))))))))))))
Kim :(

jennielynn1970
12-13-2007, 06:04 AM
Oh heartbreak! I don't know if I could have done that. I'd be a wreck forever. I was hoping that if they were positive, they could at least be isolated until they got adopted or if they ended up visibly sick, then be PTS. I wish I could have traded some fosters with you... not that you did the wrong thing, if only to give them more time.

Big hugs to you! They were just so sweet!

kimlovescats
12-13-2007, 06:10 AM
Oh heartbreak! I don't know if I could have done that. I'd be a wreck forever. I was hoping that if they were positive, they could at least be isolated until they got adopted or if they ended up visibly sick, then be PTS. I wish I could have traded some fosters with you... not that you did the wrong thing, if only to give them more time.

Big hugs to you! They were just so sweet!

I'm sure it was the rescue's final decision, not Kim's. :(

catnapper
12-13-2007, 07:42 AM
I'm sure it was the rescue's final decision, not Kim's. :(
Yes, it was. I had offered to keep them isolated for 2 more months, but apparently the test came with such a strong positive the vet felt keeping them 2 months would only prolong the inevitable (and break my heart more)

Medusa
12-13-2007, 08:36 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this. Rescue has its rewards but it sure does have its heartbreak, too, doesn't it? RIP, little ones and hugs to you, Kim.

Grace
12-13-2007, 09:28 AM
I'm so very sorry to hear this. As others have already said, they knew nothing but love the past week. And they are now forever happy and healthy.

catmandu
12-13-2007, 09:44 AM
I Have Les Thinking Of Those Happy Faces , Now As Angels. What A Shame That They Did Not Have More Tiime With You Kim, But They Are Now Eternal Kitten Angels And Are With The Pet Angel Army Now And There Will Be A Huge Party For Them In Cartagena Columbia Tonight.
And They Will Always Remember The Love That You Showed Them Kim, And Will Be There For You As Part Of Your Angel Welcoming Commitee As The Love We Show Our Furry Ones Is Never Ever Forgotten. You Will See Them Again.
One Fine Day.

jenluckenbach
12-13-2007, 02:34 PM
I am so sorry. RIP 3 more angels.

catnapper
12-14-2007, 08:10 PM
A VERY HAPPY update:
The kittens were NOT put to sleep. The vets agreed to foster them until they could be retested. I got an early Christmas present when I heard that!

Emeraldgreen
12-14-2007, 08:31 PM
WOW! That is awesome news!!! I was just looking at their pictures yesterday and feeling so sad that they were gone. I will make a BIG prayer that their second round of testing has better results. I'm sure they might miss your cozy home where you brought them when you rescued them but wherever they are being fostered now, I'm sure is a better and warmer place than the cold snowy outdoors where they had previously been living. Good news! :D

Medusa
12-14-2007, 08:37 PM
Now that is good news indeed!

caseysmom
12-14-2007, 08:39 PM
I have a question for everyone, how is FLV passed from cat to cat? I am just wondering because there is a stray where my daughter does her sport that is really tempting me but I am afraid to expose potter to anything.

This kitty is the cutest blue cross eyed siamese and so affectionate. The owner of the business said well they usually just end up getting hit by a car :mad: - this when I told her the shelter in her county was where I volunteer and they will not euthanize unless the kitty is feral or sick.

Edit to add: great news!

Catty1
12-14-2007, 08:39 PM
OH MY! Prayers that they outgrow it, develop immunity - anything!

PT Prayers for good results! :)

jennielynn1970
12-14-2007, 09:35 PM
Oh, awesome news!!!! Those little faces just broke my heart! Will be hoping and praying that they will retest negative. And even if they don't, that someone with the vet office will love them enough to keep them!

Catlady711
12-14-2007, 09:55 PM
I'm a bit late seeing this thread.

I'm sorry to hear the kittens tested positive for FELV, but glad to hear the vet is fostering them until retesting. Hopefully they retest negative but if not there are people who specifically take in FELV pos. cats and they may still get to have a home.

Not all cats with FELV or FIV get sick and die. Some live to be quite old with relatively few health problems. It's not very common but it does sometimes happen.

Are your cats current on their vaccinations for FELV? It can be transmitted by saliva and I'm concerned because you mentioned some hissing between the kittens and your cats. Probably a slim possibility but a concern. If they were my cats I'd have them tested in 2 months to make sure they did not pick up the virus. If they are negative (and I very much hope so) then have them vaccinated for FELV after the test. Even if they are already vaccinated I'd still have them tested just in case because no vaccine is 100%. You don't want to take chances with your furbabies.

I always worry when I bring a new cat in the house until the second test comes out negative and all vaccinations are up to date. I have a spare bedroom that new cats are strictly confined to and they don't get to meet the rest of my cats until they've tested negative or until they've gotten their second vaccinations.

I hope things turn out good for the kittens and your own cats. I think it's great the vet was soft hearted enough to volunteer to foster them rather than just PTS for a few bucks. Kudos to the vet.

moosmom
12-14-2007, 11:12 PM
Kim,

I'm SOOOO glad the vet decided against PTS. They deserve a second chance. If you could place them all together in one home would be great. At least they'd be together.

(((((((((HUGS)))))))))))

kimlovescats
12-14-2007, 11:42 PM
A VERY HAPPY update:
The kittens were NOT put to sleep. The vets agreed to foster them until they could be retested. I got an early Christmas present when I heard that!

OH MY GOSH!!!! I sure am glad I looked at this thread again!!! You need to update the thread title!!! HOW WONDERFUL!!! :D

krazyaboutkatz
12-15-2007, 12:34 AM
Kim, this is wonderful news!!!:) I sure hope that they'll all test negative when they have their second FELV test. I'll continue to keep them in my thoughts and prayers.

momcat
12-15-2007, 05:23 PM
I'm so happy and relieved that your vet is fostering these sweet babies! My prayers will continue for them to test negative and ultimately find their way to a loving, caring furever home!

You've done so much for these little ones and I'm sure they'll never forget how much you love them and that you gave them that all important second chance. Bless you!

rkidsrcats
12-15-2007, 05:32 PM
What a wonderful turn of events! We read earlier about the first test and have been afraid to read the other posts.....the Tribe is breathing a collective sigh of relief and hope that kits outgrow this.

rg_girlca
12-16-2007, 01:06 PM
Oh my gosh Kim, I had major LES when I read that these precious babies had to be PTS and then I came upon post #32. I'm glad that I decided to read on. Talk about mixed emotions.
I am so happy to hear that your vet decided to wait and I agree with Kimlovescats, you NEED to add on a "GOOD UPDATE" to your title.