PDA

View Full Version : Raven's homecoming anniversary

K9soul
12-11-2007, 08:09 AM
I generally don't make both a birthday thread and a gotcha day thread anymore, and I know I haven't been around much to comment on others' special days and photos, but I had to stop in to make a thread for my little blackbird, Raven. It was more than "just" a gotcha day, it was the day I started really living again, and looking forward instead of back.

There was not an actual physical death in my life, but nonetheless my life as I knew it, my hopes and dreams and all I had known were just as surely dead with the ending of my marriage. My soul was crying out for hope, something to help me look forward again. And I was gently led to Raven. From a sudden desire to browse Petfinder that day to the compelling urge to drive to the shelter to the wandering into "kennel room B" rather than the puppy room, and there she was. Bright eyes, furiously wagging tail, cute button ears, my hope and renewal in this little black bundle. And home she came with me, nestled in my lap, giving puppy sighs and grumbles of contentment as she slept, rain gently pattering on the windshield. In three short months, I would learn she needed me just as desperately as I needed her, in her battle for survival against cancer. Two days always stand out so clearly in my mind, every detail etched in my mind forever. The day she came home with me from the shelter, and the day she came home with me after her jaw surgery.

She got me back out in the world again, brought laughter back in my life, brought a renewed sense of purpose. She was mine: My decision, my adoption, my baby. And she always will be my bright and happy Raven, proving there's joy to be found in even the darkest hours. Thank you for coming into my life, little girl.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/k9soul/raven1.jpg

Homecoming video (http://k9soul.myphotoalbum.com/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album02&id=MVI_0421)

I've posted this before, but this is the slideshow I made for her after I had had her a couple months: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n28cp3-IJ0

anna_66
12-11-2007, 09:20 AM
Jess I'm so glad that you got Raven and am so glad that she has brought so much joy to your life and you to hers as well. Who knows what would have happened to her if you hadn't brought her home with you.

I love that picture of her!

I hope you both have a wonderful day:D

finn's mom
12-11-2007, 09:41 AM
What an incredible tribute to a truly remarkable spirit. You two were undoubtedly connected and it's nothing short of a miracle that you both found eachother when you did. Not a moment too soon, nor too late.

Even though we've never met, my family loves yours.

cyber-sibes
12-11-2007, 10:29 AM
Aw, this brings tears to my eyes! Yes, you two have had quite a journey together so far. May you have many more years of adventures together. Raven is such a beautiful girl! And quite stunning in her purple sweater!
Happy Day to both of you :)

shais_mom
12-11-2007, 10:30 AM
I just love your face Raven! :)
I'm so glad you found your way to Jess' heart and home.
And I hope to meet you someday, along with your brother and sister!

joycenalex
12-11-2007, 10:46 AM
raven makes me smile. it's good, very good that you have each other. congrats jess

Pawsitive Thinking
12-11-2007, 10:54 AM
Ah beautiful Raven........

cassiesmom
12-11-2007, 12:44 PM
Miss Raven, you always make me smile! I have your picture on my refrigerator and I look at it every day!! I like the bright purple color on your pretty black coat. Could you please have your mom give you a pet for me, and pets for Tommy and Tasha as well. Welcome home, sweetheart.

*LabLoverKEB*
12-11-2007, 12:49 PM
Ohhhhh! Raven! You are such a beautiful girl! You have been through so much with her, and she is precious. Have a great day! :)

Ginger's Mom
12-11-2007, 01:09 PM
Ah beautiful Raven, I love your homecoming video. You and your mom have a very special bond, and I am so glad you found each other.

gemini9961
12-11-2007, 03:25 PM
Yay for Raven!!!!!!!! She is such a little miracle for you and you for her. I am happy that I have been here long enough to remember her coming home and the horrible ordeal with her cancer. She looks beautiful in her sweater.

luvofallhorses
12-11-2007, 05:39 PM
I'm so glad she came into your life, Jess. She's such a gorgeous girl and you are so blessed to have each other. :)

dukedogsmom
12-11-2007, 06:03 PM
Happy Homecoming and Gotcha day, sweet Raven. I'm so glad your mom found you and you her. Not a lot of people would have been able to handle your cancer like your mom. It's always special to see that smiling face of yours. To know that your mom put it there. Thank you for saving her and giving her life again. That's one of the greatest gifts ever given. I hope you get extra special attention today, sweetness. And be sure to collect a hug from me.

chocolatepuppy
12-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Happy homecoming anniversary Raven! You and your mom have been through so much together. I hope you're both enjoying the day! :D

RobiLee
12-11-2007, 09:33 PM
Happy Homecoming, Raven!

Jess, the story of you bringing her home just gets me every time. The "my decision, my adoption, my baby" just really brings a smile to my face. You two definitely needed each other and I'm so glad that she brings some happiness into your life. It's just a great story. Give the little blackbird some hugs and kisses from me.

Love ya, Lil' Raven!!

ramanth
12-11-2007, 10:26 PM
Happy Gotcha Day Raven! I bet you secretly knew that you and Jess needed each other, huh. *HUGS*

K9karen
12-11-2007, 10:43 PM
*Sigh* It's true, Jess, life works in mysterious ways.....

Thank you for a beautiful, sweet tribute to "our" very special angel.."our" Raven..so brave and determined..an inspiration for strength and courage..all with a smile.

As I see your sensational smile, in your gorgeous purple sweater, Raven..I send you oodles of kisses and hugs and wishes and prayers for many, many healthy years ahead. Love you!

wolf_Q
12-12-2007, 12:24 AM
Happy "gotcha" day Raven! That was a beautiful tribute to your gorgeous girl. You definitely both needed eachother, I'm glad you found eachother. :)

pitc9
12-12-2007, 08:32 AM
Jess, your post brought tears to my eyes. You 2 are so blessed to have each other.
The video and slide show were just as beautiful as she is!
Happy Gotcha day little miss blackbird!
I feel blessed to have you as part of our PT family.
{{{GROUP HUG}}}

Giselle
12-12-2007, 07:41 PM
That was a gorgeous tribute. Happy Gotcha Day Raven! You're a very special pup =)

Kfamr
12-13-2007, 10:31 AM
It brought tears to my eyes reading this. I know how special your little black bird is, as she is to me. She is just too beautiful. You two were brought to each other for a reason. It was meant to be. :)

Happy Gotcha Day, sweet Raven!

K9soul
12-14-2007, 08:12 AM
Thank you so much for all the beautiful comments. She seems so much happier here where she can have full run of the house and the yard, and thanks to a dog door can go in and out as she pleases :). All of them enjoy it but I notice the most difference in Raven, partly due to her youth I think.

Karen
01-01-2008, 04:13 PM
I realized I had not posted, but I meant to - that's a great photo of the shiny girl to go with her great story. Congratulations to both of you for landing together at the exact right time!

Daisy and Delilah
01-01-2008, 07:36 PM
Oh Jess, what a remarkable difference Raven has made in your life. She was sent to you to bring you out of the darkness you were encircled in. She is a precious little girl. The picture you posted is so beautiful. She is a true gem and I'm so happy you two were brought together.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY RAVEN!!!

Sorry I missed this when it was first posted.