PDA

View Full Version : Please PRAY for my Panda!!! --- UPDATE - He's ALL BETTER NOW!!!

kimlovescats
12-10-2007, 08:24 PM
Something is wrong with my Panda! He is not eating, drinking, is listless and depressed. He was absolutely fine yesterday or at least seemd it!!! :( I am scared to death, I have that terrible feeling I've had each time one of my kitties were diagnosed with FIP or Feline Leukemia. He had all of his kitten shots, so it would more likely be the FIP.

I CANNOT lose my big armful, loverboy, Panda!!! He comes up to me, stands on his back feet and stretches up to give me nose kisses! He loves to be held and give you nose, face and ear kisses! He will literally hug you back! PLEASE pray for him! I will be calling my vet first thing in the morning!! :(

Kim

This is my Panda ... he is one of my Maine Coon brothers.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/Panda/806.07Panda.jpg

Emeraldgreen
12-10-2007, 09:09 PM
I hope Panda starts feeling like his old self really soon. He is soooo beautiful. I hope that it is nothing serious. My Maine Coon takes wonderful care of his coat and throws up alot of hairballs on a regular basis but on occasion he becomes very listless and won't eat or move or drink and it always scares me and then the following day, sometimes even two days later he throws up a big hairball. And then he is instantly back to himself and full of energy etc..For some reason, some hariballs are tougher on him than others. I hope that this is all that your gorgeous Panda is dealing with but you know your cat and what is normal for him so I'm glad you're contacting your vet tomorrow. I'll say a prayer for him right now!

G535
12-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Fingers and paws crossed here that Panda is just having an off day and he'll be back to normal soon. :)

shais_mom
12-10-2007, 10:30 PM
thoughts and prayers on the way..

RedHedd
12-10-2007, 10:44 PM
Oh no! I hope it's nothing more serious than a hairball. Mitzi gets listless like that occasionally. A couple of day's treatment with Petromalt and she's back to her spunky self. Panda prayers coming your way!

Catty1
12-10-2007, 11:02 PM
Oh, I remember Panda and his story, how he arrived with his brother!

I hope it is nothing serious!

Do you have any Petromalt - or even some olive oil he night lick off your finger or groom off his paws if you smeared a bit on there?

Prayers for that beautiful baby!

krazyaboutkatz
12-11-2007, 12:49 AM
Kim, I sure hope that he'll bounce back to his normal self and that it's nothing serious. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

orangemm
12-11-2007, 04:25 AM
Lots of prayers and crossed fingers for Panda. What a sweet boy!

Please let us know how he is.

(hugs)

catnapper
12-11-2007, 07:18 AM
Kim, many prayers coming your way for Panda. (((hugs)))

GILL
12-11-2007, 07:35 AM
Prayers coming your way. As Emerald said our Coon Chessie comes up with these amazing hairballs. He will stop eating for a day or two. We make sure that he has a hairball food and it does seem to help. Love the Coons he gives his mommy hugs and kisses, I get to scratch when mom is not around.

kimlovescats
12-11-2007, 07:42 AM
Panda is no worse this morning, but not really any better. He did lick a tiny bit of juice off of some wet food, but not very much. He hasn't coughed or acted like he has a hairball, but I hope it's just something like that. I don't have any hairball remedy, just Nutri-Cal, so I gave him a bit of that.

I'm waiting for my vets office to open in about 20 minutes. Going to hop in the shower now in case they tell me to bring him right in. I'll post when I get back home.

Please pray for my special big boy!

Kim

Medusa
12-11-2007, 08:06 AM
Not too long ago I took my Pidge in to my vet for the very same reason, she was listless, not appearing to be eating and drinking, etc. She checked out A-OK. My vet said "Sometimes cats have off days, too." Let's hope that this is the case w/Panda and that all is well. Big prayers going out......

catmandu
12-11-2007, 09:15 AM
Moose Angel And Many Maine Coon Angels Are Flying In To Be With Big Panda With Snacks For Ecuador To See If They Cant Tempt Panda To Eat.
We Are Praying That Panda Will Be All Right As They Know That His Brother Would Mis His Companion Cat So Much.
We Are Sending Prayers That You Recieve The Only Gift That You Will Want During The Upcoming Holidays And Thats Panda Being His Lively Old Self Again In Purrfect Health Once More.

shais_mom
12-11-2007, 10:14 AM
anxiously waiting your update.
hugs and prayers....

columbine
12-11-2007, 10:14 AM
Smudge is a Maine Coon too, and when he's got a major hairball he loses his appetite and gets scary sick-cat bad breath! And he won't eat petroleum-based anti-hairball treats. BUT he does enjoy Cat Lube (http://www.vetamerica.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2329) - it's chicken flavored, petroleum-free, made of herbs and enzymes. I just break them up over his kibble. He still horks the occasional Hairball from Hell, but some of it comes out the other end too, and he's never blocked up for long. It also helps that I found a combination of brush and comb that he really enjoys. His fur is VERY thick and fluffy, so I use a shed-n-blade to loosen the shed fluff and a slicker brush to pick it up afterward.

kimlovescats
12-11-2007, 12:25 PM
I'm back from the vets but still worried. They did a belly tap immediately for the wet form of FIP, and there was no fluid. They gave me a sense of relief at first. They also did a combo test for Aids / Leukemia and that was negative. My vet came out into the lobby and told me it was negative, and so I cried tears of joy and relief. Then she called me back into the exam room. She also tested his blood for his packed cell volume. It was low and that has her worried. It could still be the DRY from of FIP. :( I am so scared! She gave him fluids and antibiotics and a can of prescription food for him to try. He licked the food a few times and walked away. Dr. LaValley gave me a special syringe to force feed him with, and I got about 10 cc's in him that way.

She told me to try and check his temperature later today and see if it has come down at all. I am also supposed to call her back late this afternoon. If he has shown no signs of improvement, then I am to take him back tonight.

Please continue your prayers, I am fearing the worst for my boy.

Kim

phesina
12-11-2007, 01:09 PM
Many prayers for Panda.. Panda, please be well.

Queen of Poop
12-11-2007, 01:19 PM
Prayers for Panda.

kittycats_delight
12-11-2007, 01:21 PM
Oh Kim....I am just seeing this now. I am so sorry Panda is ill. I hope and pray he will start to improve and it is not FIP. Know my thoughts and prayers and with you and Panda.

Panda pretty boy get well please. You're meowmie still needs you ok. You are very very special to her and a lot of people love you.

(((HUGS))) Kim.

Michelle

jennielynn1970
12-11-2007, 01:27 PM
Awe... poor Panda! I hope he'll be ok. Maybe it's just some kitty virus and he will get over it soon. Paws crossed on that one, and NOT FIP.

Gentle hugs and pets for Panda.

Catty1
12-11-2007, 02:10 PM
PY Prayers for beautiful Panda! I hope it's just a 'bug'. How would he get FIP? Does it come from other cats? He's an indoor baby, right?

Get well, Panda...take your meds like a good boy. HUGS!

lvpets2002
12-11-2007, 04:20 PM
:( Oh no so sorry about wittle Panda.. Sending Lots of Prayers & Huggss..

cassiesmom
12-11-2007, 06:10 PM
Ohhh, Kim and Panda I do hope it is not FIP. God, would you look down with love on Kim's Panda, and give him healing. Amen.

Donnaj4962
12-11-2007, 06:34 PM
Oh my, I am just now seeing this thread! I hope that it is not FIP. Poor sweet Panda! Many prayers coming your way from me and the girls in Indiana!

kimlovescats
12-11-2007, 07:21 PM
I took Panda's temperature again at 3pm this afternoon, it was still at 104. He still won't eat or drink, but I am able to forcefeed him some prescription AD through a syringe. Thankfully he is able to keep it down. I spoke with Dr. LaValley again around 4pm and she wants me to continue his antibiotics and continue forcefeeding him tonight and then bring him back in for more fluids tomorrow morning. As long as he is no worse, I am to take him back again on Thursday morning at 9:15 a.m. to repeat the Packed Cell Volume testing on his blood. She did tell me that the Dry FIP is in the back of her mind but she wants to give him a couple of day's chance just in case it is something else ... of which she has no clue right now. :( I am trying to brace myself for the worst, as I already felt it from the first time I laid eyes on him yesterday afternoon.

Candace, and others who don't know, I have lost several to FIP in recent years. You never know who might be carriers of this dreadful disease. Some can even be carriers and never actually become ill from it. Therefore, one of my carriers might be one of my kitties who has appeared healthy for years! :( The only way to completely clear the house of it, would be to euthanize everyone! Obviously that hasn't been an option for me. I thought we were finally clear of this nasty beast! Now I could kick myself for bringing Daxter in 5 months ago and little Olive this past month. :( If Panda does indeed have FIP, then I am considering rehoming them in hopes that they are still clear and will never come down with it. This has all got me very upset and I couldn't sleep at all last night.

I will post updates tomorrow and definitely Thursday after the PCV re-test.

Thank you,
Kim

phesina
12-11-2007, 07:53 PM
Prayers for you too, Kim, and more prayers for Panda, that this bug is not FIP but something that can be treated.

Love, hugs, and purrs,
Pat and cats

Vermontcat
12-11-2007, 09:57 PM
Kim, I am so sorry to hear that handsome Panda is so sick. :(
Sending get well soon wishes to Panda and lots of hugs to you.
Samantha sends purrs and headbumpies too.

Catty1
12-11-2007, 10:03 PM
I am glad he is no WORSE...hope the anti's kick in soon, and you can get some more food into him.

prayers big time for Panda!

krazyaboutkatz
12-12-2007, 01:17 AM
Kim, I'm so sorry to hear that Panda is so sick.:( I sure hope that it's treatable and not the horrible FIP. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way. Please take care and try to stay strong. (((HUGS)))

kimlovescats
12-12-2007, 11:50 AM
Panda literally woke me up this morning with tons of kisses to my face!!! :D He is perky, very chatty, and following me everywhere! He even attempted to eat a few bites of kibble. I will continue to forcefeed him until he really eats on his own again, but I think it's safe to say that my boy is BACK!!! I couldn't be happier and more THANKFUL TO GOD!!!! :D

I will still be taking him to his PCV blood re-check tomorrow morning though just to be on the safe side, of course!

THANK YOU AGAIN FOR ALL THE PT PRAYERS!

Love,
Kim

Catty1
12-12-2007, 11:52 AM
YAAAAAAAAY!!!!! HOW WONDERFUL A CHRISTMAS GIFT IS THIS! :D

(ps - beware of stepping on fresh hairballs! ;) )

shais_mom
12-12-2007, 12:16 PM
Panda literally woke me up this morning with tons of kisses to my face!!! :D He is perky, very chatty, and following me everywhere! He even attempted to eat a few bites of kibble. I will continue to forcefeed him until he really eats on his own again, but I think it's safe to say that my boy is BACK!!! I couldn't be happier and more THANKFUL TO GOD!!!! :D

I will still be taking him to his PCV blood re-check tomorrow morning though just to be on the safe side, of course!

THANK YOU AGAIN FOR ALL THE PT PRAYERS!

Love,
Kim

Thank Goodness!!!
I was wondering if it was something like what Kylie has- Chronic Hairball Gastritis but she throw up several times. No coughing or lethargy. Just puking...

kb2yjx
12-12-2007, 02:47 PM
Kim that is great news!! Prayers that good health is for Panda!!!

catmandu
12-12-2007, 05:37 PM
THAT GREAT NEWS THAT PANDAS DOING A LOT BETTER , AND IS EATING A BIT. WHEN I HAVE THAT PROBLEM I GET OUT THE FANCY FEAST , I HOPE THAT THAT WORKS FOR PANDA TOO.
MAYBE A BIT OF SOUTHERN HAM WOULD TEMPT YOUR BIG FURRY FRIEND.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cat%20photos%202/cats1011585.jpg
WE WILL CONTINUE TO SEND OUR PRAYERS FOR YOUR BIG MAINE COON COMPANION.

phesina
12-12-2007, 05:43 PM
Such great news! Hallelujah!

Prayers and healing energies still being sent from us.

Love, hugs, and purrs,
Pat and cats

kimlovescats
12-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Thank you, dear friends! :)

jenluckenbach
12-12-2007, 06:26 PM
I am so relieved. {{{{HUGS}}}}

krazyaboutkatz
12-12-2007, 11:50 PM
Kim, This is wonderful news!!!:) I hope that everything goes well with his PCV blood re-check tomorrow. He'll continue to remain in my thoughts and prayers.

kimlovescats
12-13-2007, 06:15 AM
Thank you also, Jenn and Tracy!

Panda seems great again this morning, but he still just isn't eating! He barely will nibble a couple of bites then stop! I gave him (forced) some Nutri-Cal and he got mad at me! I haven't seen him drink ANY water in two days! I don't know how he has the energy he has without it! He goes back in this morning at 9:15 (3 more hours) to have his blood re-tested. I will ask Dr. LaValley if she knows of anything to stimulate his appetite. I am still wondering if he might have a blockage somewhere that is making him not eat. I won't feel 100% comfortable until he is totally 100% back to normal!

A few more prayers would be appreciated! I will update as soon as I get back home!

Kim

Catty1
12-13-2007, 09:21 AM
If it is a suspected hairball, you can try a non-petroleum product called Cat Lube(link in Cat Health).

Still, your vet may want to take an x-ray to make sure it is nothing else.

HUGS and PT Prayers to you and Panda!

cassiesmom
12-13-2007, 10:49 AM
Hummmm ... could Panda be drinking water when you are not around? (Cassie Kitty is good at this) Is he urinating and stooling? Sorry to be gross but the mention of an obstruction got me thinking along these lines. Panda, gorgeous one! Your meowmie is worried about you, so please, please pretty please eat for her.

kimlovescats
12-13-2007, 10:55 AM
Just got back home from today's vet visit. Overall things are positive, but he still won't eat or drink! Here is the scoop:

His PCV (Packed Cell Volume) blood test is up from 26 to 31 ... normal range starts at 35, so that is doing much better!

His temperature is down from 104.5 to 101.2 ... which is also normal, again that's great!

Doc Williams did a blood panel also to check his liver, kidneys and one other thing but I can't remember. Everything was great on that too ... all in the normal ranges! WONDERFUL NEWS!

He got quite a bit more fluids today, and is to continue his antibiotics and start on the Pet-tinic vitamins as well. He has a new can of "Recovery" food to try, but of course he won't eat it either! So, it is back to the forcefeeding. :rolleyes: Thankfully he doesn't fight me too much on that, and will swallow and keep it down. I just hope that eventually his appetite will pick back up!!!!

Oh, Doc felt his belly and he felt no blockages and he did feel poop in his lower bowel, so everything seems "ok" there as well. Guess he just hasn't eaten enough to produce a BM in the past couple of days.

They still can't rule out the dry form of FIP though. It's one of those things they can't ever confirm for sure until it is deadly obvious! :( So, as any catmom would be, I am still worried in the depths of my mind and heart. I am just trying to focus on all of the good reports we got today and work on getting him to eat and drink again. I think if he will do that, then my worries will for the most part, go away.

I'll post updates daily until this is all resolved!

Thanks, everyone!

Kim

kuhio98
12-13-2007, 11:23 AM
Kim ~ Still saying my nightly prayers for you and Panda. Hoping nothing serious is wrong and that Panda is just another one of those Medical Mystery Kitties. :)

kittycats_delight
12-13-2007, 01:32 PM
Kim, I am keeping you and precious Panda in my thoughts and prayers. I hope that boys starts to eat soon and you can figure out what exactly is ailing him.

((((HUGS)))) to you both.
Michelle

phesina
12-13-2007, 04:41 PM
We are sending more prayers and healing energies..

Have you and your vet tried an appetite-stimulant with Panda? We use one sometimes at the shelter called cypro-heptadine (something like that).

Love, hugs, and purrs,
Pat and cats

Medusa
12-13-2007, 04:45 PM
Have you and your vet tried an appetite-stimulant with Panda? We use one sometimes at the shelter called cypro-heptadine
Yes, you might want to give that a try w/your vet's ok. It sure worked w/my Puddy after her kidney was removed.

catfamily
12-13-2007, 05:16 PM
Kim I am so sorry i didn't see this earlier.Of course I am saying bigtime prayes for your dear Panda.
Maybe he just needs the full course of antibitics and sometimes they need stronger antibiotics or just on it for 4 full weeks.
i'm hoping that is all he needs...unless he swallowed something that wasn't food...or a plant?
I don't know...Prayers on the way.I am so sorry for your worrys.I wish I could help more. :(

I just talked with Mike and he was reminding me of when our big Monty(maincoon) had a 106 temp out of the blue one late morning.I swear he looked fine before it and i never noticed this coming on...Mike called me in and said Monty didn't look right.So i took his temp...freaked when i saw it called the vet while mike was putting him in the car...The vet gave him fluids and took xrays...and gave us azithromyicin for 3 or 4 weeks...i kept giving him fluids for 5 days...his temp went down the very first day at the vets when he was rushed in.
Till this day I still do not know WHY he was sick.
He has been fine ever since.
I think that was a few months ago.
I hope Panda will be ok...VERY soon for you Kim.I know how much you love him.

Emeraldgreen
12-13-2007, 09:26 PM
One of my cats who at the time was an indoor/outdoor girl became quite ill a few years ago and she vomitted for 2 days and then became very listless. I got her to the vet and they said she was going into hypothermia. They put her on warm fluids and rushed some blood off to the lab. Her white cell count was through the roof but they couldn't find what was causing her problem. They did multiple in clinic tests for different cat diseases that all came back negative. They did xrays, an abdominal ultrasound and then exploratory surgery a few days later when she wasn't getting any better. They even opened her bladder because they thought they saw something on the ultrasound that looked a little suspicious. Turned out to be nothing. They decided to put her on an antibiotic drip at the hospital because they didn't really know what else to do and she began to slowly come around. I took her home and continued the antibiotics for the next 2 weeks and she was back to normal. They never did figure out what had made her become so sick. Thankfully, years later she hasn't had another occurance like that.
It sure is strange to read about all the posts regarding 'mystery illnesses' and cats. In any case, I hope your Panda starts eating soon and that he is back to his old self ASAP. :)

kimlovescats
12-13-2007, 10:25 PM
Thank you all for sharing your experiences with "mystery illnesses" with your kitties! I really am counting on this being just that! Just a "bug" that he somehow developed, will soon be rid of and back to normal for years to come! My 2 vets and I discussed that we felt since the dry form of FIP is supposed to be more aggressive than even the wet, that Panda most likely would not have responded so quickly to just one day of fluids and antibiotics! My vet did give him an antibiotic injection that first day of Baytril to kickstart the process, and I have been giving him the Clavamox pills. He is slowly starting to nibble a tiny bit at a time, several times this afternoon. He is preferring the Royal Canin Baby Cat which is itsy bitsy teeny weeny pieces. Whatever works for him, is fine with me!!!

Oh, to answer the questions about appetite stimulants, I think that is what the pet-tonic vitamins are supposed to help with. Also Dr. LaValley said that forcefeeding him would help, as his tummy would start feeling hungrier!

Again, I truly appreciate all of the prayers, concern and support! As of now, he is still full of love and nose, face, chin and ear kisses! He is one KISSY BOY, I tell ya!

I will continue to update until I feel he is completely "out of the woods"!

Love,
Kim

Here is a picture of him the first day, with the high fever and then one yesterday when he was feeling better quite a bit better and just now tonight in the last one!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/Panda/SickBoy121107001.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/Panda/FeelingBetter121207.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/Panda/Panda121307004.jpg

krazyaboutkatz
12-14-2007, 12:24 AM
Kim, I'm so glad to hear that he's starting to eat a little bit on his own. Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way. Please take care.

catfamily
12-14-2007, 10:55 AM
This last picture you took of the most recent shows what a lovebug cat he is.
I just wanted to go through the computer just to hug and kiss him.
I bet you smother him with love all the time. :) :D
I do that with some of mine and they get so irritated with me :D :eek:
I just can't let go...I keep hugging them.
He sure has those beautiful eyes that draw you right in.
Kind of looks like my Colby and my Mac.
Kim...He sure is beautiful!!
He's very lucky to have you.
how old do you think he is?Was he a stray?
you've helped so many many cats get good homes,first fixing them up.
it's hard work and very rewarding.i'm glad you kept this beautiful lovebug.
I am saying extra prayers for Panda.I hope he continues feeling better and this never happens again.It sure is scary.

shais_mom
12-14-2007, 11:02 AM
Thank you all for sharing your experiences with "mystery illnesses" with your kitties! I really am counting on this being just that! Just a "bug" that he somehow developed, will soon be rid of and back to normal for years to come! My 2 vets and I discussed that we felt since the dry form of FIP is supposed to be more aggressive than even the wet, that Panda most likely would not have responded so quickly to just one day of fluids and antibiotics! My vet did give him an antibiotic injection that first day of Baytril to kickstart the process, and I have been giving him the Clavamox pills. He is slowly starting to nibble a tiny bit at a time, several times this afternoon. He is preferring the Royal Canin Baby Cat which is itsy bitsy teeny weeny pieces. Whatever works for him, is fine with me!!!

Oh, to answer the questions about appetite stimulants, I think that is what the pet-tonic vitamins are supposed to help with. Also Dr. LaValley said that forcefeeding him would help, as his tummy would start feeling hungrier!

Again, I truly appreciate all of the prayers, concern and support! As of now, he is still full of love and nose, face, chin and ear kisses! He is one KISSY BOY, I tell ya!

I will continue to update until I feel he is completely "out of the woods"!

Love,
Kim

Here is a picture of him the first day, with the high fever and then one yesterday when he was feeling better quite a bit better and just now tonight in the last one!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/Panda/SickBoy121107001.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/Panda/FeelingBetter121207.jpg

He is so amazingly Beautiful!!
I'd love some pics of his brother or did you find a home for him?? I'm sorry I can't remember but I do remember you adopting 2 of them from the Soldier???

kimlovescats
12-14-2007, 12:11 PM
Carla, Panda and his brother Sammy are purebred Maine Coons. I adopted them from their Dad (a soldier) who was in active duty and going through a divorce. He had no choice but to rehome them. He had purchased them as kittens when he was stationed in Germany. He gave me a couple of their baby pictures, they were teeny weeny fluffballs. They are tiny little pictures that he had in little frames, but I will scan them sometime and post them. They're really cute!

Staci, in the recent pictures I have of Sammy, he has his eyes closed in every one! He always anticipates the flash and blinks! LOL! I'll work on getting a good one today or tomorrow and post him as well. He deserves some recent exposure too! ;)

All of this talk about hairballs really has me questioning that as well. Panda STILL has not pooped at all in 3 days!! He is barely nibbling still. I swear, I will freak if I've spent 2 vet bills and all of this testing for hairballs! :rolleyes: I will be very relieved and thankful though as well! It will just piss me off that my vet didn't think of that FIRST! Oh well, I'm going to pick up some cat laxative today and give it a try. I'll let you all know the "outcome"! LOL ... bad PUN! :p

pitc9
12-14-2007, 12:50 PM
LOL!

I hope everything comes out okay! :D

He is STUNNING!! :eek:

Freedom
12-14-2007, 02:48 PM
Sucha stunning, handsome fellow. Come on, Panda, you sure look perkier and all, start eating so mom (and all of us here on PT) can stop worrying about you!

Kim, I've been reading this thread, just posted now. Been saying prayers for him (and you) right along. Let's get this boy back to his normal self!

cassiesmom
12-14-2007, 03:11 PM

Panda, you are absolutely magnificent. I hope you're back to 100% soon. I would like to reach right through my monitor and give you a great big hug.

kimlovescats
12-14-2007, 03:50 PM
I went and bought some Laxatone. When I got home I had a message from Dr. LaValley ... she had called to check on Panda! She's the greatest!!! Anyway, I told her about my constipation theory, and she agreed it was worth a try. She also said that I could bring him in for an enema if I thought it was necessary. I think I'll give him a chance to go on his own before I totally stress him again! :eek:

Of course he is angry at me for getting his beautiful fur all sticky again! :D

catmandu
12-14-2007, 05:21 PM
We Are Having Rainbow Trout Fillets For Dinner And We Jsut Wish That There Was A Way To Send Panda Some.
We Are Sending Prayers That Your Big Maine Coon Will Be All Right And Has A Wonderful Catmas!!!

kimlovescats
12-14-2007, 05:23 PM
Gary, he is feeling so much better! He was even chasing me around the room while I was vacuuming a few minutes ago!!! :eek: Yes, he's feelin' GOOD! :p He still needs to eat a bit more enthusiastically, but we're working on it!

Kim

Freedom
12-14-2007, 05:33 PM
Gary, he is feeling so much better! He was even chasing me around the room while I was vacuuming a few minutes ago!!! :eek: Yes, he's feelin' GOOD! :p He still needs to eat a bit more enthusiastically, but we're working on it!

Kim

Great update! Keep it up, Panda; mom sure is treating you so you get better, OK?

phesina
12-14-2007, 07:09 PM
What an utterly gorgeous cat he is! And what wonderful news about how well he is feeling and acting!

You go, Panda!

krazyaboutkatz
12-15-2007, 01:00 AM
I went and bought some Laxatone. When I got home I had a message from Dr. LaValley ... she had called to check on Panda! She's the greatest!!! Anyway, I told her about my constipation theory, and she agreed it was worth a try. She also said that I could bring him in for an enema if I thought it was necessary. I think I'll give him a chance to go on his own before I totally stress him again! :eek:

Of course he is angry at me for getting his beautiful fur all sticky again! :D
Kim, this made me remember when my RB Pepper had become so sick and he stopped eating.:( This was before I joined PT so I didn't have any one to help me. By the time I brought him to the vet he was jaundiced and had fatty liver disease from not eating. He stayed at the vet for about 1 week because he was so sick.:(

He made a full recovery but several weeks later he began to have another relapse. I noticed that he kept jumping in and out of the litterbox so I brought him to the vet right away. It turns out that he was constipated and they had to give him an enema. The vet also told me that when he had been so sick the first time that he also noticed that he was constipated and they had to give him an enema. This was probably the reason why he stopped eating in the first place.

He was then put on Lactulose (http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=0&cat=1459&articleid=3263). I had to give it to him every day and he never had this problem again. At first my vet thought that he might have megacolon but he didn't. He also said that hairball medicine wouldn't help this problem. Pepper was a Maine Coon mix and a very big boy. I hope that Panda will get well soon. I'll continue to keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

kimlovescats
12-15-2007, 02:18 PM
Tracey, I am a bit confused. Are you saying that hairball remedy did not help with the constipation or with the megacolon? Also, I didn't buy just regular hairball treatment, I got Laxatone which I think may be a bit more laxative than ordinary hairball treatment. I don't know, but today he is a running / playing maniac! SO GOOD to see him back again!!! :D

catmandu
12-15-2007, 02:26 PM
Three Cheers For Panda, And Moose Angel And Priscilla , His Angel Wife Are So Happy That Pandas Eating Again, And They Hope The Roast Beef That They Are Bringing From England Will Please Panda And His Companions And Guardians. This Is The Best News Of The Season.

RedHedd
12-15-2007, 06:36 PM
Hmm, from what you're reporting and KAK's post - Mitzi gets that way when she's all hairballed up. She's VERY fluffy and licks a lot. A couple of days dosing with Petromalt usually perks her back to her normal silly self. I hope that's all it was with Panda. He sure is a fluffy dude!

krazyaboutkatz
12-15-2007, 08:38 PM
Tracey, I am a bit confused. Are you saying that hairball remedy did not help with the constipation or with the megacolon? Also, I didn't buy just regular hairball treatment, I got Laxatone which I think may be a bit more laxative than ordinary hairball treatment. I don't know, but today he is a running / playing maniac! SO GOOD to see him back again!!! :D
Sorry for the confusion.:o My vet at the time said that hairball treatment wouldn't help with contstipation so this is why Pepper had to have an enema and then be put on Lactulose so that he wouldn't become constipated again. The Lactulose is supposed to also also help if a cat has megacolon but sometimes cats need to have surgery later on if it doesn't help them.

I'm so glad to hear that Panda has a lot of energy and is doing well. I hope that he'll remain healthy now.:)

kimlovescats
12-16-2007, 12:21 PM
Ok, thanks Tracy! I'm still giving him the Laxatone. He's acting great now, eating more and DRINKING his water! :D

rg_girlca
12-16-2007, 12:32 PM
Kim, I am so happy to hear that your precious Panda is doing so much better now and PRAY that he continues to do so.

Please give that gorgeous boy of yours a hug and kiss for me.

{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}

kimlovescats
12-16-2007, 09:27 PM
Thank you, Lorraine! Will do! :D

Catty1
12-17-2007, 12:57 AM
WOOHOO! Hug that fluffy lump of kitty for me, ok? :D

phesina
12-17-2007, 07:34 PM
And again for me too, please?

Prayers and good wishes continue to be sent...

Love, hugs, and purrs,
Pat and cats

kimlovescats
12-17-2007, 08:46 PM
You bet, Candace and Pat! :D

Medusa
12-17-2007, 09:32 PM
I'm so glad that Panda is all better. Now let's keep it that way. :p

pitc9
12-18-2007, 01:08 PM
Glad to hear he's feeling better!!

jazzcat
12-21-2007, 10:24 AM
Kim, I'm so glad to hear he is better. What a scare! He and his brother are both such gorgeous kitties and sound like they've stolen your heart.

(Love your siggies) :)