PDA

View Full Version : Question..

racing_gurl07
12-10-2007, 12:22 PM
IS it true that only 5% of women deliver on their due date? do most women deliever AFTER their due date?

the doctor said he wont induce me until im 42 weeks :eek: thats another FOUR weeks i have to wait! Do you think i will have to wait THAT long?

I have a doc appt today, and hes doing a ultrasound, so maybe ill ask him howlong he think it will be. I guess i never heard of someone going 42 weeks. 40 maybe 41 but not 42, thats just wayy to long!

For those of you who has had children here, how early or late were your first babies?

moosmom
12-10-2007, 12:29 PM
Usually, first babies are late. However, it also has to do with genetics. Did your mother delivery early or late?? I kind of doubt you'll go that long. Write down questions you want to know and bring it with you to the doctors office. He'll put your mind at ease.

Sirrahsim
12-10-2007, 12:31 PM
There is nothing magical about your due date. It is just a rough guess based on the date of your last period and/or the results of an EARLY ultrasound. The actual statistic is that most women will deliver within 2 weeks before OR 2 weeks after their due date. First babies tend to be late but there is no way to know for sure. You could be dilated to 2 and nearly fully effaced and stay that way for a few weeks.... Or you could be closed up tight with a long thick cervix and end up delivering the next day. Science can't fully explain the factors involved in delivery and there is no way to accurately predict when you will deliver. I had c-sections with both of my boys but as of 41 weeks with my first son I hadn't made any progress. It isn't uncommon at all to go all of the way to 42 weeks!

racing_gurl07
12-10-2007, 12:32 PM
My mom gave birth three weeks early to me, they said because she smoked, dont know if thats true. im not sure about my grandma though.

I just feel like im going to be pregnant FOREVER! Im never going to have contractions, and my water is never going to break! i guess imscared that i have to be induced and thats the last thing i want. I want this birth to be ALL natural.

racing_gurl07
12-10-2007, 12:34 PM
I know the exact day and they still go by my past period date...which is march 19th. so since I know the exact date we got pregnant i feel that my due date will be later :(

Sirrahsim
12-10-2007, 12:37 PM
I know that the last few weeks are loooooong and you feel like they will never end but they WILL! At this point it doesn't matter when exactly you got pregnant. WHat matters is how your little one is doing. Babies don't develop at exactly the same rate and some babies like to hang out in Mommy's tummy longer than others. I wish that there was a way to tell you exactly when you'll deliver but there is just not. Try to relax, in less than a month you WILL have your baby in your arms :D

sparks19
12-10-2007, 01:41 PM
Well I had to be induced with Hannah a little earlier than expected. I was over my due date but there were going to let me go at least a full week over before deciding to induce.... but they did an ultrasound to get an estimate on her size and during that ultrasound they discovered that my fluid was low so they induced me right away. Apparently with low fluid it increases the chances of the cord choking her... then come to find out the cord wasn't even long enough for that to happen anyway lol. But turns out I had an infection in my placenta so had she stayed in for that full week she would have been very ill when she was born.... so I was very lucky they induced me earlier.

But there is nothing to tell whether you will for sure go over your due date or not... it will all just be speculation. but I know this last part of pregnancy is the worst.... you just want it to be over with and you just want to have your baby in your arms. It's frustrating but you will get through it.

Suki Wingy
12-10-2007, 02:06 PM
That's pretty common in my family. My mom was induced when my sister was 3 weeks late. My other sister came at 2 weeks after my mom's due date.

mina'smomma
12-10-2007, 05:49 PM
I was induced two days before my due date because of all the problems I was having. I kept going into labor with her, but would never dialate. I ended up having a c-section from her getting stuck. You just need to be patient and that little angel will come when she is ready.

Missy is right the last few weeks of pregnancy just seem to go on forever, but enjoy it because once your little one gets here you're going to feel like something is missing from not having that baby inside you. I know I do, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Twisterdog
12-10-2007, 08:50 PM
My son was two and a half weeks late. They tried to induce labor two weeks before my due date, no luck. Tried again on my due date, no luck. Two and a half weeks later, finally!

prechrswife
12-10-2007, 11:10 PM
My daughter was 10 days late, and they were going to induce at 11 days late, anyway. Not quite 2 weeks, but close enough...