PDA

View Full Version : hot flashes

davidpizzica
12-10-2007, 12:23 AM
Does anyone here get hot flashes? Mine come about as a side effect of taking Coumadin. I just experienced one tonight. It felt like my whole body was really hot all over and I'm sitting in front of my air conditioner to try to cool me off. Is this normal to feel this way after taking Coumadin?

mruffruff
12-10-2007, 12:57 PM
David, I don't know if what you're taking causes hot flashes, but you ARE the right age. LOL

I'm long past the usual hot flashes, but the Prednisone I'm taking for Rhuematoid Arthritis does the same thing to me. I wake up every night soaked. I just am grateful that the meds are working. I'll live with the side effects.

kuhio98
12-10-2007, 01:02 PM
David ~ My husband never got hot flashes while taking Coumadin (which is a blood thinner, I believe), but he did get major hot flashes from taking Niacin and had to discontinue it. He said it felt like being bitten by fire ants. :eek:

critter crazy
12-10-2007, 01:06 PM
My step-Dad has taken Coumadin for years, and he has had hot flashes off and on. You know when he is having one, when you walk in the house, and you wish you hadnt taken your coat off!!And of course you wish he hadnt taken his pants off!!:eek: :D

Pam
12-10-2007, 01:52 PM
David, I don't know if what you're taking causes hot flashes, but you ARE the right age. LOL

I am sorry to laugh but that is sort of what I was thinking! LOL! I too am past hot flashes. :o David, you might want to check with your doctor to see if this is normal, although from Critter Crazy's post it sounds like it is which, I have to admit, I got a good laugh from reading! :D

lizbud
12-10-2007, 04:35 PM
I am sorry to laugh but that is sort of what I was thinking! LOL! I too am past hot flashes. :o David, you might want to check with your doctor to see if this is normal, although from Critter Crazy's post it sounds like it is which, I have to admit, I got a good laugh from reading! :D

This thread made me chuckle too. I thought, "finally a man who gets
see what it was like" :) Sorry David.

carole
12-10-2007, 05:20 PM
I was about to type the same thing, yep matey now you know what us poor menopausal and pre menopausal women have to go through, no fun is it? empathy hugs coming your way. :) :D just wanted to add down under we call them hot flushes . :)

davidpizzica
12-10-2007, 06:33 PM
I used to think that when a woman says "I get hot flashes" that it meant they get a little warm! Now that I get them, I Know what it's really like. It isn't a fun thing to go through. I can really sympathize with you ladies!

carole
12-11-2007, 01:04 PM
David are you going to be on this drug permanently then, that is a bummer if you are, i have not experienced those night sweats, i have those to look forward to yet, lol, but i did when i was on a certain drug a few years back, and waking up totally soaking, sheets, clothing, etc was not very pleasant at all, there is a plus side to it for my hubby whenever he feels cold , he just snuggles up to his little hottie, me that is, say's i feel like a furnace,you do have my empathy bro, really you do. :)

davidpizzica
12-11-2007, 04:18 PM
David are you going to be on this drug permanently then, that is a bummer if you are, i have not experienced those night sweats, i have those to look forward to yet, lol, but i did when i was on a certain drug a few years back, and waking up totally soaking, sheets, clothing, etc was not very pleasant at all, there is a plus side to it for my hubby whenever he feels cold , he just snuggles up to his little hottie, me that is, say's i feel like a furnace,you do have my empathy bro, really you do. :)
Unfortunately, Sis I have to stay on this medicine. Because of my irregular heartbeat, the blood isn't pumped fast enough and the blood tends to thicken and form clots which if they break off they can reach my brain and cause a stroke. I have to keep my blood thinned out. Carole, when I get these I don't have the sweating, I feel about 20 degrees hotter all over! I hate that feeling.

caffeitina
12-11-2007, 04:33 PM
I didn't know guys could get hot flashes (sorry for the ignorance).

lvpets2002
12-11-2007, 04:33 PM
I was about to type the same thing, yep matey now you know what us poor menopausal and pre menopausal women have to go through, no fun is it? empathy hugs coming your way. :) :D just wanted to add down under we call them hot flushes . :)

;) :p Cute Carole = Hot Flushes = AnyHow I been there & had them for sure.. I have gotten so so Hot with Flushes that the kitties were trying to grow extra furr just to stay warm from the A/C going on so cold.. :D

carole
12-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Oh that sure made me giggle, we have to see the light side of it don't we, as otherwise one would be in the doldrums forever, David my dear friend, i know exactly what you are going through, I am having just the hot flush, or hot flash too, have been having these for over ten yrs, and they are now getting worse, i swear i glow sometimes i feel so darn hot, he he. :) empathy hugs coming your way, oh ok maybe not, we might ignite lol. :D